• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Meat So You Don’t Have A Gun....

Is that really practical though, considering there is perennial debate about it's stopping power at handgun distances?

Not trying to knock the idea. AR9 has some appeal to me, just trying to think through the pro's and con's.
At one hundred yards a 125 grain 9mm will be moving around 1000-1200 feet per second out of a 10 inch barrel, comparable to a .38 special at normal handgun ranges. I should note that 9mm is usually used with a 115 grain bullet.

So it’s not an elephant gun but it’s very adequate for self defense, especially when you remember that the hundred yard capability on the outside of its intended use.

At one hundred yards a 125 grain 9mm will be moving around 1000-1200 feet per second out of a 10 inch barrel, comparable to a .38 special at normal handgun ranges. I should note that 9mm is usually used with a 115 grain bullet.

So it’s not an elephant gun but it’s very adequate for self defense, especially when you remember that the hundred yard capability on the outside of its intended use.

For the people who like numbers.
  • A 124gr bullet moving at 1000 fps packs 277 foot pounds of energy. At 1200 fps it is 396 foot pounds of energy.
  • A 115gr bullet at 1000 fps has 255 foot pounds of energy. At 1200 fps it is 367 foot pound of energy.
  • A .223 55gr bullet at 2800 fps has 957 foot pounds of energy.
For anyone wanting to calculate the foot pounds of energy on other bullets, the formula I have always used is "velocity squared, times the bullet weight in grains, divided by 450400" there may be a easier formula, but I haven't looked.:D

Last edited:
For the people who like numbers.
  • A 124gr bullet moving at 1000 fps packs 277 foot pounds of energy. At 1200 fps it is 299 foot pounds of energy.
  • A 115gr bullet at 1000 fps has 255 foot pounds of energy. At 1200 fps it is 367 foot pound of energy.
For anyone wanting to calculate the foot pounds of energy on other bullets, the formula I have always used is "velocity squared, times the bullet weight in grains, divided by 450400" there may be a easier formula, but I haven't looked.:D
Math and I are not friends, but that comparison doesn’t smell right.

Well if it is wrong, then someone please let me know.
I will say though, in the world of projecting objects, velocity makes a huge difference in how much energy it packs, hence the reason they say "velocity is what kills body armor."
As an example, I have personally seen a 7mm Remington magnum, with an average bullet weight of 155gr, and an average velocity of 3024 fps, (the round we used was a soft nose hunting round, so nothing special) sail right through AR 500 plate at 100 yards, while the 45-70 with a muzzle velocity of about 1600 fps, and a 500gr bullet didn't even phase it.:)

It didn't look right because you'd made one typo, and ended up with a 124gr bullet having less energy than a 115gr bullet at 1200fps. Using your formula (which I am assuming is correct), fix as follows and it all makes sense:
  • A 124gr bullet moving at 1000 fps packs 277 foot pounds of energy. At 1200 fps it is 396 foot pounds of energy.

Math likes Samuel better than me. ;)

It didn't look right because you'd made one typo, and ended up with a 124gr bullet having less energy than a 115gr bullet at 1200fps. Using your formula (which I am assuming is correct), fix as follows and it all makes sense:
Ahh yes! Thank you. I guess that would make a bit of a difference.:rolleyes:
I have corrected it now.

I will say though, in the world of projecting objects, velocity makes a huge difference in how much energy it packs, hence the reason they say "velocity is what kills body armor."
As an example, I have personally seen a 7mm Remington magnum, with an average bullet weight of 155gr, and an average velocity of 3024 fps, (the round we used was a soft nose hunting round, so nothing special) sail right through AR 500 plate at 100 yards, while the 45-70 with a muzzle velocity of about 1600 fps, and a 500gr bullet didn't even phase it.:)
It’s questionable as to which end of the 7mm feels worse

It’s questionable as to which end of the 7mm feels worse
You might feel the pain of the recoil longer.....but I have seen the long streak down the dirt road that was made by the 7mm spreading the yote's innards. I'd take the bruised shoulder any day!

You might feel the pain of the recoil longer.....but I have seen the long streak down the dirt road that was made by the 7mm spreading the yote's innards. I'd take the bruised shoulder any day!
It’s a devastating round. Not a great round for meat hunting though, causes too much meat destruction. Coyotes though? Perfect!

Is that really practical though, considering there is perennial debate about it's stopping power at handgun distances?

Not trying to knock the idea. AR9 has some appeal to me, just trying to think through the pro's and con's.
The 9mm is a very practical round. The issues with stopping power initially were due to using a NATO spec ball ammunition, basically a copper jacketed bullet that would zip right thru the perp without expansion, resulting in the majority of its energy being expended beyond the intended target.

As with any other caliber, the right bullet makes a heck of a difference. Don’t go to war with rounds intended to save lives.

IMO 5.56 with ball ammunition for combat is the dumbest idea ever. A good 55 grain AMAX in the vitals will drop anything up to elk with one shot. With the right bullets, you dont need as much ammo . . . . . Per target! Still need lottttsa ammo. Plus, your load out lasts longer and theres fewer mag changes per exchange.

As far as a platform, what has come to be my personal favorite CQB 9mm is a Sig MPX. I know its a bit pricy, but theres just something to be said for arming yourself with the best you can afford.
Its a dream to shoot, platform is an ambidextrous AR platform, 30 round mags, lots of accessories including a folding stock, compact enough to carry in a back pack, 100 yard + capability.

My most favorite rifle of all time, that I foolishly traded for a truck, in my early 20’s, was an 8mm remington magnum. I would argue that it is the most versatile cartridge ever devised. It’s very flat shooting, extremely comfortable to shoot (in-spite of the fact that it’s a necked down 375H&H MAG ). And it hits HARD, like a Union Pacific engine with a ten mile head of steam... on a down hill run, HARD. You can load it down for small game, or up to take anything on the planet. The only drawback was how hard it was to get ammo, basically you just have to be setup for reloading, although now days it probably wouldn’t be too hard to find ammo online. Man, I wish I still had that thing.

I’m an NRA member, maybe the only one in California! LOL! My 4 sons all know how to safely use firearms to defend themselves and others should it some to that. They also know Jesus is more powerful than firearms and sometimes the best option may be allowing ourselves to be shot and killed. Being killed isn’t the worst thing that can happen to us.

Firearm skill and training, like all education, is about having more skills/options. As Christians, we don’t use all the options at our disposal, but we are ready and prepared.

“Do not mistake my kindness as weakness.”

Back