• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Taken in Hand/Domestic Discipline

I personally have no desire for anyone on this planet thinking corporal punishment, to a spouse, is a common accurrance in Biblical Families. As I personally do not believe it is.
For clarity, I do not use corporal punishment on my wife. Nor do I use it on my children (it's illegal where I live).

Nevertheless, this is an issue that is relevant to others, and a discussion that should not be shut down just because it is a grey zone that can lead to abuse (in some circumstances). People are seriously interested in this topic. Some people do it. If we cannot discuss it at all, anywhere, then there is no way for such people to be influenced by such discussions - things kept in the dark fester and get worse. That's the fundamental problem with "hate speech" laws for instance, and why they are so dangerous - people have to be able to talk openly about even controversial topics, or they get stuck in a self-reinforcing bubble of the few people who dare to whisper about it in private, and spiral into extreme interpretations that can be quite harmful in some cases.

If you wish to discuss the topic logically @Phillip, you do need to address the very obvious question on children vs wives. Logical consideration of the topic leads directly to that question. It's not a sidetrack, it's a way of working out how we're all defining words.

There is absolutely no profit in repeated affirmation of an overall opinion, either positive or negative. We've already heard that some people here disagree very strongly with the concept and see no place for it, while others think it's great. That only needs to be said once, and most participants' basic views have now been stated clearly. Let's move on from that and allow those people interested in teasing out the details to do so logically, and refrain from commenting further if that is not a discussion that we personally wish to have.

This is a muddied characteristic of terms. In reality, women who have been subjected to corporal punishment cannot distinguish between ‘value neutral term’ and a beating.

Actually, that's not just wrong, that's deeply insulting to women. Children can tell the difference between a just punishment and an unjust abusive beating. Even animals can; for so do animal mothers use physical punishment on their young. Are women less perceptive than a day old baby calf? Are their feelings and reasoning faculties inferior to that of children?

You didn't answer the question.
You are correct, I didn’t answer that question. Your question was designed to be a trap, as you well know. So I stayed on topic.

This is the second time DV has been brought up as an industry. Your not even close. Your views are wrong and your conclusions are skewered by your own self conceived notions. Statistics are not even correct since the abused usually will not report it for fear of additional abuse. Men, that are abused, are the least likely to report it. Primarily, the women are the victims but it goes both ways.

Not one scripture has been used in defense of a corporal punishment used on wives. Yet, you want me to find scripture to the contrary. Frankly, Jesus being our example, the only time I can think of that he raised his hand, was against a bunch of low-life thief’s in the temple that were ripping the people off left and right. I get a little ticked off at dishonest people too. But, mostly, Jesus was a kind person. So, I don’t see an example of what your saying there. You’ll have to provide your side of the scriptures.

What I could do, is show stories of how Sarah was treated, Rebekah was treated and on and on. Even good ol sinful Lamech, didn’t lay a hand on his wives when they were mad at him for killing Cain.

You mentioned laws against patriarchy. If we don’t get this right, the laws will only get harsher and tighter. If we get this right, the laws will loosen up. If I understand correctly, this particular revival is in its infancy stages. It has the ability to thrive or end in crib death.

Actually, that's not just wrong, that's deeply insulting to women. Children can tell the difference between a just punishment and an unjust abusive beating. Even animals can; for so do animal mothers use physical punishment on their young. Are women less perceptive than a day old baby calf? Are their feelings and reasoning faculties inferior to that of children?
Excellent point!
As someone who has trained animals including horses and other livestock it is clear to me that the difference in abuse and training is that in training the animal being conditioned to a desired response needs to
a. Understand what behavior is causing the negative consequence and
b. Be capable of avoiding it.

If they don't know why the consequence is happening it isn't training, its abuse and will make the animal neurotic. If the behavioral goal expected is unreasonable (not enough response time allowed for example before the consequence is encountered) it will also make an animal neurotic.

Reasonable and consistent expectations make calm and reasoning animals. I'm not kidding either. Animals are SMART.
Firm fair and friendly works.

In my experience use of a whip does not make a whip shy horse....misuse of a whip does.

If a woman wants boundaries, and wants to know in advance the consequence of failure, this is just a team effort to achieve the end result of harmony.
If a man chooses on his own to use his authority and discipline his wife, he may help his wife learn control and restraint....but he had best be self disciplined as well, because hipocracy is something animals don't comprehend but wives do.

My two bits worth.

Are women less perceptive than a day old baby calf? Are their feelings and reasoning faculties inferior to that of children?
If I understand you correctly, you think I’m talking about their emotions or intellect? When I said ‘distinguish between ‘value neutral term’ and a beating. Not even close. What I was referring to is the pain inflicted on their butt. Not their intellect. No insult was ever deferred on the intellect of a woman. But, I think you knew that I was not referring to a woman’s ability to comprehend. Nice deflection though.

I hate I am coming into this thread so late. I'm just now getting a second to chime in. I think its pretty clear there are strong feelings for and against DD/TiH. It seems most of the resistance comes from the idea that it is abuse or a gateway to abuse. I can testify even though I am new to it that nothing is farther from the truth. Nor is it embarrassing or anything like that because I for one hate to be embarrassed and would never try to embarrass someone else.

I think the child analogy is a good way to explain it. I believe most here believe in spanking children. I know I spank mine. I have some rules I follow that I learned from Bill Johnson like never punish when you are angry. I would think most everyone who spanks there children knows where the line is. The same goes for the wife. No part of it even skirts abuse. I think emotion plus punishment is where abuse is more likely to reside. Clear thinking/non-emotional punishment honestly takes resolve to carry out because I really don't want to do it. I think that is a big part of what separates DD from abuse just like it does when it comes to children.

All that being said I can't say enough about the benefits of it. If nothing else it provides a tool that can be used to quickly resolve issues without arguing/fighting. And honestly it puts more on the man. If I am going to spank her over something what kind of hypocrite am I if I can't manage the things I need to take care of. I know from the outside looking in its hard to see but it honestly makes the man perform at a higher standard. There are a lot of benefits that are hard to see when you are on the outside looking in. Much like polygamy I guess. There are a lot of benefits you would never think about until you are doing it and you see them. Any ways I hope this sheds some light on the subject.

I agree with @FollowingHim we have to be able to talk about things even if we consider them to be grey areas. I've heard the saying, "When iron sharpens iron sparks are going to fly." It is easy to become emotional especially when you have seen certain injustices firsthand. I think it goes without saying, at least on this forum, we are each trying to grow and do as the Bible instructs us to. That may not look the same across the board, and it can be easy to twist things to a level that just isn't there. I have seen good fruit in our marriage just from a week of DD. We are not advocating everyone has to take this approach, but we have heard other couples talk about the good it did for them as well. We are consenting adults in this and I think that can quickly dispel any thoughts of abuse, as in those cases the wife is neither consenting nor the husband doing it from a loving spirit.

On a side note, I did a quick search that yielded these results in scripture discussing discipline. These particular scriptures are not directed solely to children, but to all who love wisdom.

Proverbs 12:1 (ESV)
Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

Hebrews 12:11 (ESV)
For the moment all discipline seems painful rather than pleasant, but later it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it.

Proverbs 6:23 (ESV)
For the commandment is a lamp and the teaching a light, and the reproofs of discipline are the way of life,

Revelation 3:19 (KJV)
As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent.
(Just for context we are the Bride of Christ.)

Job 5:17 (NIV)
Blessed is the one whom God corrects; so do not despise the discipline of the Almighty.

Discipline isn't always "one size fits all". I got a lot of spankings as a child, but as I got older it transformed to groundings or removal of certain privileges. Same thing for DD. It may be an inability to make wise decisions with finances, so a husband may remove the debit card from the wife's possession and give her only cash. Is a husband supposed to allow the wife to continue to spend them into debt or does he enact a way of disciplining that can stop a destructive behavior? DD does not have to be physical punishment only. It's a matter of growing in wisdom, love, and understanding with one another. Just as Jesus said He rebukes and chastens those He loves and husbands are to do exactly that as according to Ephesians 5.

If nothing else it provides a tool that can be used to quickly resolve issues without arguing/fighting. And honestly it puts more on the man. If I am going to spank her over something what kind of hypocrite am I if I can't manage the things I need to take care of. I know from the outside looking in its hard to see but it honestly makes the man perform at a higher standard.
^^This.

There are a lot of benefits that are hard to see when you are on the outside looking in. Much like polygamy I guess. There are a lot of benefits you would never think about until you are doing it and you see them.
Really good point.

@Phillip and @rockfox, I think we all see where you guys are coming from, and I think you each understand enough about each other's position to move forward without rehashing anything.

Fundamentally, this thread is for @Cool Wifey Jones and @Soldier's Psalm to share their experiences as they explore some new territory in their relationship, and they have the next-to-last word (mods and admins rule) on how widely this thread ranges.* The topic is controversial but relevant, and we need to be able to discuss the pros and cons in general terms to a certain extent, but at the same time we need to remember periodically to listen to what CWJ and SP are telling us about how it's going, because that's where the real value is here.

We all agree, or should agree, that actual abuse is not okay, even when the woman is Stockholmed into not recognizing that there's a real problem. We all agree, or should agree, that in the 21st century west, women generally are (and are encouraged to be) unruly and self-absorbed (while men are lazy and self-absorbed), and so legitimate questions are presented about how best to facilitate the men's taking responsibility and the women's following a husband's leadership, and for some people DD presents as a possible solution for breaking old habits.

For purposes of this thread, we have to look at this as "behavior among consenting adults" and leave it there, and I for one would like to hear more about SP's and CWJ's thought process in the run-up to this, whose idea it was, how the other spouse got their head around it, that kind of stuff (very similar, as SP brought to our attention) to the weirdness (and counter-cultural-ness) of considering polygamy itself).

Biblical Families does not advocate anyone's violating the law in their jurisdiction, and given the state of the State laws regarding domestic assault I personally recommend that anyone contemplating adding adult discipline to their relationship toolkit specifically research applicable law first. (This is not legal counsel; go hire an attorney for that. Just giving some free friendly advice to try to help people stay out of trouble.)

Because of the relatively loose standards around accusations of assault with family violence, DD raises issues of trust to a whole new level (I suppose similar to what I hear about the BDSM community...). No man in his right mind is going to consider "disciplining" a woman he does not trust implicitly. In that sense, it becomes easier to see why CWJ, SP, and Zec have testified positively about the results (with minimal, or short-term, or no actual physical discipline, just the agreement that there is a line): When you have a woman who trusts her husband enough to allow him to physically discipline her, and a man who trusts his wife enough to take the risk that she'll change her mind after the fact, you have a couple that is actually working through some power-dynamic issues together, not just exploring a kink or opening the door for actual abuse.

I don't physically discipline the women in my house and I have never counseled anybody to try it or look into it. (I don't consider that moral high ground, just a statement of fact to disclose where I'm coming from.) But I recognize the rights of consenting adults to organize their relationships as they see fit, and I am always interested in positive reports of couples solving problems in their relationships. As we are discussing on another thread, we're not trying to form another "we're right and everybody else is wrong" club here based on conformity to a prescribed creed or code of conduct. We're looking for men who have the cojones to buck the culture and stand up for what they believe, and follow God wherever He leads.

In that context, we have to cut each other some slack to figure things out on our own. Nothing cookie-cutter about what we're doing here....

- - - - - - -
* A bit more accurate on who has the 'last word' - The more conservative position of the OP or the mods is the cutoff. To my knowledge the mods have never insisted that a conversation be allowed to get farther off topic than the OP is comfortable with.

In the form of patriarchy that I practice, the man is responsible for the bills getting paid. (Notice that I am not saying that all income is up to him.)
When I don’t do my due diligence there are severe consequences in the financial department. Don’t ever think that DD is unfair just because it’s not a two way street. That isn’t the way that things work.

Last edited:
Well said, @Cool Wifey Jones.

On a side note, I did a quick search that yielded these results in scripture discussing discipline.
Just a side note to the side note: Words translated "discipline" or "correction" in modern translations are often translated "chasten" or similar in the AV or other older translations. That's a beating, folks....

(More clinically, it's the infliction of bodily pain or punishment to correct someone's behavior, whatever ordinary English word we want to use for that.)

Btw; in my house I have one wife who would high-five @frederick’s position, and one wife who has given me permission to use DD as I see fit.

Yeah, I wasn't gonna go there, but we've discussed the situation here, and there's a range of opinions in my house, too, so this is not only a "different families work out what works for them" issue, it can also be a "different women in the same house can have different relationship dynamics suggesting different approaches" issue, all under one roof! :eek: It's a very personal decision we're talking about here....

In order to understand how positive of a change this has been for us, you'll have to understand how bad off we were. When we started researching and discussing this every part of our marriage was failing. Intimacy was gone, no physical touch of any kind without anger, resentment, or bitterness rising to the surface. The slightest misstep would cause either of us to become cross, and we would either stay and fight or just leave the house entirely. In order to avoid arguing and keep up the illusion of a successful marriage we simply swept things under the rug. Soldier kept himself busy with work or video games because every conversation ended in an argument. You would never have seen me on the cover of "Proverbs 31 Woman" magazine. Lol. My house was in constant disarray, I was battling anxiety, stress, and fear, and the atmosphere of our home was not one of peace and tranquility. When I say this has saved our marriage, I mean it, and we're only a week into this. We have a saying, "If you want something you've never had, you'll have to do something you've never done."

I know we are still in infancy with this, but it has drawn us closer, especially since we have to be so in tune with one another. It is a trust issue. Soldier looked at me with all seriousness when we first started talking about actually doing this, and he said, "You don't trust me." It was a realization for us both. I didn't realize how little I trusted him to lead me or our house. To give yourself over so completely is a scary thing, just like it is with our Heavenly Father.

This is a brief list of the benefits I have seen in this time:
1. The dishes have been done every day. (The only zero tolerance issue. At the moment.)
2. The stress, fear, and anxiety mostly stemmed from an unclean home and knowing it needed to be done, but just ignoring it. (Can't do that now. Lol.)
3. (This one's a little racy, boys and girls.) I have had more sexual desire toward Soldier in seeing him in this role. I think our innate desires have been conditioned out of women with new age feminism to believe we want emasculated men when the opposite is in fact true. ;)

Beautifully said, CWJ. Like polygamy and patriarchy, when men are advocates they often get looked at sideways and end up getting accused of selfish or sinister motives, but when women can articulately communicate the benefits they have actually experienced, it's a completely different frame for the conversation.

Reminder: I am not a practitioner or advocate of DD. I feel like the monogamous guy advocating for polygamy, and at least to that extent can't be accused of having a dog in this fight.

That said, I want to point out that the existence of the possibility of real punishment (and the most 'real' of all is corporal punishment (that is, punishment of the corpus, the body)) re-orients the subordinate's instincts in a positive way, taking the never-ending gamesmanship and power struggle off the table. Now differences of opinion and appeals of decisions have to be handled with meekness and humility and persuasion, rather than as demands to be followed up with various forums of passive-aggressive 'punishment' from both sides (as described so well by both CWJ and SP), leading to chronic friction and spiritual separation.

It's rather similar, from my POV, to age differences. The women in my home range from 8 to 18 years younger than me. From the beginning, they have naturally looked up to me and followed my direction, not necessarily because of some rule, but because I had more life experience than they did. These days, with our age segregated government schools, most of us spend most of our formative years and our early dating years with girls/women either about our same age (or even older), and that creates a situation in which "submission", or just plain old followership, doesn't come as naturally. After all, the relationship began as friends who were basically peers. It can be sorted out, it just doesn't flow as organically from the structure of the relationship.

So that's a bit of a digression, but my point is there are ways to structure a relationship that work for you, and there are ways to do it that work against you, and for some couples it appears that DD is going to provide the structure that makes all the difference.

An afterthought:

This may be less of an issue in a plural family. Walk with me for a bit....

A couple is on relatively equal footing, sort of, except for the great weight of the legal machinery behind the woman's interest in the children and the man's future income. Unless some positive steps are taken (of which DD could be one), you're basically asking for a never ending power struggle in a mono family, because any failure to come to an agreement is basically a stand-off.

In my experience with three women in the house, it is rare for all three women to challenge my decisions (I can't actually remember that ever happening). What is relatively common, though, is that one of the women is having an issue with something, and the other women act as disruptors of what would otherwise be a stalemate. So, weirdly, I can actually run a relatively democratic household, without use of a tie-breaker such as DD, because there's never a tie. I find that interesting.

Just some weird stream of consciousness stuff. I've gotta go take care of some accounting....

What statistics did you use? There is no Domestic Violence industry. In fact, try to get funding for it. There is money for drug rehab, human trafficking rehabbing, gambling addictions and many other areas. DV? Not so much. In fact, if you want the money to work with other rehab programs, the state requires you also take in victims of DV. So the programs out there are working on a shoe string.

So what industry were talking about?
The one that took my family in one side and spit it out the other. This might be a good time for both of us to walk away because I can tell you story after story of evil shelters, horrible lawyers, white knighting cops and complicit judges. There's a reason why this issue is so precious to the Left and if you want to go toe to toe on this then I will unleash on a separate thread. I will leave you with this, there is a reason the problem is getting worse and it's not because the "advocates" are doing it right.

Back