• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Thelyphthora Martin Madan

Martin Madan is a very thorough theologian. (You already know that ) it's more of the same. Full disclosure, I haven't read straight through these volumes. I have one volume about halfway thoroughly studied and marked. The rest I have peeked at and read here and there.

He does reference some current events at times so you'll need to study history concurrently with your reading. So it can be challenging, be thankful for Google.

Still, It's nice to have as a reference.

In chapter one now. Have read the two prefaces and introduction. VERY impressed so far. Reading the 's' is a trick as two or three different lettered existed in that day for what is now 's'. But, it's getting eafier.

I don’t see a Kindle option. Where did you find that?

Continuing to thoroughly enjoy this book. Everyone should add this to their reading list. It is a treasure trove!

Loving the book! I’ve gotten to the point where I almost don’t even notice the s/f/s thingy haha

One of my favorite quotes here,
Speaking of marriage:
“...Where it was divinely forbidden, no dispensation from man could authorize it; where it was divinely allowed, no license from man could add to its perfection and obligation...”
Martin Madan, Thelyphthora page 340

So simple, so true :)

Yeah, the reading gets eafy the further you go in the book. Moft people don't know that Englifh has had more than 26 letters. ..

This book has made me think that we are going about this all wrong. Instead of telling our fellow believers that it is not a sin to have more than one wife, while we stand in the shadow of the doctrines of men that loom so high, we should instead focus our collective resolve on smashing this edifice that raises itself against the knowledge of Christ. When those things fall, the light of God truth will shine so brightly that the truth will be easily seen by all. Don’t tell your pastor that you can have a second wife, instead demand an answer to the question, by what authority do you presume to interfere in marriages at all?!

Last edited:
Don’t tell your pastor that you can have a second wife, instead demand an answer to the question, by what authority do you presume to interfere in marriages at all?!
By what authority do you call a man your pastor?
People that venerate other men as pastors are the very ones who are giving them authority.

instead demand an answer to the question, by what authority do you presume to interfere in marriages at all?!

Love this ^

By what authority do you call a man your pastor?
People that venerate other men as pastors are the very ones who are giving them authority.

Love this ^

I think that God gave us men to mentor us in the faith by whatever name they are called, However, God did not give these men authority over us, he gave them the opportunity to influence us for better or worse. The problem comes when they demand authority, or we cede authority without their demand. This authoritative perspective is what should be destroyed and shown no quarter. Only then can we interact with the proper relationships between us as Brothers, not Fathers.

we stand in the shadow of the doctrines of men that loom so high, we should instead focus our collective resolve on smashing this edifice that raises itself against the knowledge of Christ
Are you prepared for the very real possibility that asking for the doctrines of men to be smashed may very well expose other holes in your own doctrines? That is a very scary leap that is worth taking, but likely will shake you to the core.... ;)

Just going to throw this in:
Ephesians 4:11 (KJV)
And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
Notice that pastors is just tossed in there with all of the rest of the anointings, but yet the others don’t expect to have anyone under their authority. A shepherd leads to good grazing and to water, but it breaks down at that point because ownership and everyone else remaining one of the sheep was never intended.
That’s one of the areas that that the protesters (Protestant Church) didn’t make it far enough out from under the universal (read Catholic) church.

Back