• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Meat Turning "Splendor and Beauty" into "Squalor and Ugly"

Maybe I just wanted to know what she thought. I’ve never heard of a TK dress code and since she was the second person to mention it, I figured I’d ask. Still don’t know what she and Megan were referring to…🤷‍♀️ Do you?
I've never heard of an 'AGREED' upon dress code, but then there are a lot of diversity of opinions with all we "Messyantics" (as our pastor will sometimes call TK). lol I think the TzitTzit, Headcoverings, not mixing fibers, possibly some prayer shawls are associated. I think there is also the stereotype of modest (long dresses, high neckline, no bare shoulders) /prairie dresses for women, long pants for men and a lot of the normal conservative Christian dress code tends to carry over to TK. Or we may be grouped in with the Amish/Mennonite due to the Headcoverings.

Hahaha! Whenever people found out I was LDS growing up I often got asked why I didn't dress like I was in the 1800's in other words why I wasn't wearing a prairie dress everyday. (They are cute though. I would totally love to own a couple of them)
When I see the FLDS on tv i'm jealous of their dresses :)

That's code word for the dresses the FLDS wear.

Though we didn't necessarily wear prairie dresses growing up we did wear skirts/dresses almost all of the time. For some outdoor activities (hiking, skiing, camping, etc.) we were allowed to wear pants and shorts. When we did go out on public as a family with the dresses/number of kids, I'm one of 8, people were constantly asking if we were Catholic or Mormon? :) I think part of that also dealt with living in Colorado, which is next door to Utah, so lots more LDS around then other areas, especially further east.

When I see the FLDS on tv i'm jealous of their dresses :)

Don't be.

My husband's first wife, Shari, had us dressing in similar styles. My best description is 1940's button down farm dresses. Ostensibly in the name of modesty.

But when you go to town people stare at you because it attracts attention. In fact the style is anything at all but modest because it attracts attention.

After Shari left we started wearing what we want around the house and the ranch and when we go out we wear country style skirts, sundresses, nice tops with denim jackets...and we are just as covered without causing people to stare at us as if we had phylacteries strapped to our heads.

But when you go to town people stare at you because it attracts attention. In fact the style is anything at all but modest because it attracts attention.
Maybe that's just where you live or the style of prairie dress. I have had friends that wear prairie dresses on occasion for style but they make it look like an instagram sort of look.
Haha! I always attract attention whenever I go out with my family (13 kids) so I never thought too much about it my clothing attracted that sort of attention.

Don't be.

My husband's first wife, Shari, had us dressing in similar styles. My best description is 1940's button down farm dresses. Ostensibly in the name of modesty.

After Shari left we started wearing what we want around the house and the ranch and when we go out we wear country style skirts, sundresses, nice tops with denim jackets...and we are just as covered without causing people to stare at us as if we had phylacteries strapped to our heads.
They can look all they want but no shoulders for them! 💃

Haha! I always attract attention whenever I go out with my family (13 kids) so I never thought too much about it my clothing attracted that sort of attention.

How the heck do you get all the kids out at the same time?

Before he got sick my husband had considered a used limo bus. Not any particular size that I know of. The problem is it would be a summer vehicle for the most part and in a barn the rest of the year. They also don't have very good ground clearance and that's a thing around here.

We have a Yukon Denali and I can take a crowd with me and it can tow a trailer which is useful for serious shopping trips!

Don't be.

My idea of what modesty means has definitely evolved from the way I was raised to understand it. I definitely agree with you that there are times when wearing something like a farm dress draws tremendous attention.

Dressing to fit the occasion while still retaining standards is a good balance. That could be dresses, skirts, pants (especially for outdoor work or activities), etc.

True modesty also includes humility.

Hate to say but IMHO the FLDS can be a bit prideful with their "Hey look at me, I'm modest!" styles.

Before he got sick my husband had considered a used limo bus. Not any particular size that I know of. The problem is it would be a summer vehicle for the most part and in a barn the rest of the year. They also don't have very good ground clearance and that's a thing around here.

We have a Yukon Denali and I can take a crowd with me and it can tow a trailer which is useful for serious shopping trips!
When kid #8 came along for my parents we had to get a 15 passenger van. We still used our Excursion for a lot of things, especially for going up into the mountains or for driving to church in bad conditions. My dad was big into Ford SUV's, so we did have something for all the outdoor things we did, with clearance and tow capacity. It helped my Grandpa worked for Ford so as our family grew we upgraded seat capacity along the way....haha

Any cliff notes available? I’m not really able to listen to podcasts, but I am very interested in this topic.
The closest to 'Cliff Notes' is the podcast intro (in the link) but it is for an hour plus teaching/midrash. (The first segment of the podcast is generally the reading, this time from Exodus itself, then the 'deeper dive,' which this week had essentially NOTHING to do with clothing.)

There were certain garments expressly for the Cohen Gadol (Aaron, at first)...and the discussion had to do with the contrast between the 'splendor and beauty' of serving YHVH, as opposed to NOW, when those who serve the Adversary seek to push squalor and ugliness...in every way.

I am transcribing this for later publication in book form; I will try to post that when it's finished.

Back