• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Video conference get-togethers?

Would you be likely to participate in, by video conference:

• Informal get-to-know-each-other scheduled chats

Votes: 30 85.7%
  • A 15-minute scriptural talk followed by open discussion

Votes: 22 62.9%
  • A 60-minute detailed scriptural talk followed by open discussion

Votes: 12 34.3%
  • Prayer meetings

Votes: 13 37.1%
  • A "church service" style event: worship + message

Votes: 10 28.6%
  • A full Saturday or Sunday of fellowship, teaching & worship: mini online retreat

Votes: 17 48.6%
  • I would not be interested in any of this.

Votes: 2 5.7%

• Total voters
Second talk went well also, fewer individuals but of equally high quality! :)

I am already being asked "are you going to do this every week?", so should get onto organising a sequel. Next time, I think we should have an actual topic - a 5-15-minute talk on something, followed by an open discussion (loosely chaired by someone who can pass the mic on if one person is taking far more than their share of the time).

Do you have a topic you'd like to learn more about? I can find a speaker to introduce it and then move to an open discussion on it, just name the topic and I'll see what I can do.
Or, do you have a topic you'd like to present for discussion yourself? If so, contact me.

I think it would be good to at least begin with core topics of the ministry, or topics of relevance to the present circumstances we find ourselves in - plural marriage, general marriage, child raising, home church, outreach during a pandemic or other disaster etc. If you'd like to interview a plural family and ask them questions, I can see if someone would be open to that.

I think more divisive or "denominational" topics (such as Hebrew roots, flat earth, and creation/evolution) would be very good to discuss at a future point but are probably not the best place to start. So if you're keen to present something of this nature I may say "no" for now simply to prioritise something else first. However, I personally believe that such topics are more constructively addressed face-to-face than on a forum, and a video conference may be the ideal way for us to come to a better understanding of each other on some of these issues that can tend to divide us. So there is definitely a place for these discussions. I just think we're probably better to not start there.

Of course, if that's what everyone actually wants to talk about, or that's the only topic that is suggested, that might just be where we start! So if you don't want to start there, make sure you suggest something else! :)

Feel free to make suggestions or offers of talks here or by private message.

I think it would be good to at least begin with core topics of the ministry, or topics of relevance to the present circumstances we find ourselves in - plural marriage, general marriage, child raising, home church, outreach during a pandemic or other disaster etc.
Yes, I agree. At least for the beginning we would benefit the most from sticking with this ministry's core topic - Biblical Families. How to build and maintain truly biblical marriages and families. Just my thoughts here. And thanks heaps for the video meet up! Excellent time.

Also, when would be the best time of day / week to have this sort of discussion? Would one of the times used today (Saturday afternoon / evening in the USA) work for such discussions, or should they be on a different schedule?

Also, your caricature on your profile picture looks surprisingly close to your actual face, was it drawn for you or did you just find it somewhere as it suited you?
Thanks!

A few years ago the county fair had an artist doing caricatures. I've always been fascinated by caricatures, political cartoons, that sort of thing, the way they can capture the essential soul of the subject with just a few exaggerated lines.

I couldn't resist. 30 minutes and $30 later, and an artist who was clearly being underpaid for his level of talent, and the results speak for themselves.

It worked out for me this time because our normal Sabbath meeting was canceled that usually begins around 2ish. So earlier in the day or sometime on Sunday would be better for me and likely better for other Torah folks here in the USA

91469687_3245006225526835_30445803390631936_n.jpg

It worked out for me this time because our normal Sabbath meeting was canceled that usually begins around 2ish. So earlier in the day or sometime on Sunday would be better for me and likely better for other Torah folks here in the USA
Yes it is, Sundays after 12 central standard time is a great time for me. I look forward to doing UT again

I understand the preference for Sunday, but you have to remember that the USA is about the last country in the world to reach Sunday. By the time it's Sunday afternoon for you, it's already Monday everywhere else and anything starts to clash with work or school. Of course, at present the majority of the potential audience is in the USA, so this is doable. But it is an important factor that needs to be considered also.

In practice we may well vary the time to suit the presenter, and everyone interested in the topic can fit around their preference.

the USA is about the last country in the world to reach Sunday.
I suppose next you’ll be telling us that we are not the center of the flat earth either :eek:

I understand the preference for Sunday, but you have to remember that the USA is about the last country in the world to reach Sunday. By the time it's Sunday afternoon for you, it's already Monday everywhere else and anything starts to clash with work or school. Of course, at present the majority of the potential audience is in the USA, so this is doable. But it is an important factor that needs to be considered also.

In practice we may well vary the time to suit the presenter, and everyone interested in the topic can fit around their preference.
Of course we would prefer a time slot that is doable for us in Europe as well, and not something deep in the night. Yesterday it was a 5 hour time difference, but last night our summer time started, so now it is a 6 hour difference... Although @1stWife@Home mostly stays up in the night to attend the women's chat, but she doesn't have to work the next day.

So sad that I missed it! Got to working in the garden and before I knew it it was 4pm! Then it was date night, so the evening slot was out. Hope to make the next one y’all set up. I’m glad to hear that it worked really well!

Congrats with your new life!! :)
Both me and my wife were not that lucky yet, but maybe for the men that is dependent on the beard length...:D
I am sure that your status of being less than real is a mere oversight at this point......

OK, how when did the second talk happen?? short of going though the whole thread please explain it seems ive missed again

How am I missing the notifications for these? I would do everything but miss work to make them but I have no idea they’re going on.

How am I missing the notifications for these? I would do everything but miss work to make them but I have no idea they’re going on.

I will text you next time. Assuming I am aware of it. I was only on the first one. The second was later the same day...

Back