• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Video conference get-togethers?

Would you be likely to participate in, by video conference:

• Informal get-to-know-each-other scheduled chats

Votes: 30 85.7%
  • A 15-minute scriptural talk followed by open discussion

Votes: 22 62.9%
  • A 60-minute detailed scriptural talk followed by open discussion

Votes: 12 34.3%
  • Prayer meetings

Votes: 13 37.1%
  • A "church service" style event: worship + message

Votes: 10 28.6%
  • A full Saturday or Sunday of fellowship, teaching & worship: mini online retreat

Votes: 17 48.6%
  • I would not be interested in any of this.

Votes: 2 5.7%

• Total voters
OK, how when did the second talk happen?? short of going though the whole thread please explain it seems ive missed again
There were two talks on the one day, just two alternative times, information for both was in the message I sent you. This has not been repeated yet.
How am I missing the notifications for these? I would do everything but miss work to make them but I have no idea they’re going on.
Just to test the software and basic idea we ran one meetup (two different alternative times on one day, but basically one meetup) last weekend. I sent the info to everybody who had commented here saying they were interested, plus the mods. I did not take the time to think through everybody else who could potentially have been interested and include them also, so you weren't on the list. But I'll add you if we do this again.

Good article.

Basically, with video conferencing software, you can either have ease of use or high security, not both. Zoom is the "ease of use" option, not the "high security" option.

Zoom just works, and functions well. However there are concerns about how secure it might be. It looks like the encryption could be broken by someone who was determined to spy on your particular conversation - so it is a bad choice for sensitive conversations where people will have a motive to invest the time into cracking the encryption. For instance, governments shouldn't be using it, as other governments have plenty of motive and resources to crack the encryption and hear the conversations. But plenty of governments are using it... The point there being that there are far more interesting conversations for someone to spy on than our own!

For general chats, it should be fine. There is simply so much bulk of general chatter on it, that it's highly unlikely anyone's going to go to the enormous effort to figure out which conversation is us, set up a man-in-the-middle attack to obtain the raw datastream, then decrypt it, simply in order to find out IF we were saying anything that might have been worth all their efforts.

Also, for the sort of discussions that we'd generally have on the public forum anyway, again it's fine. If we're happy for anyone in the internet to read our opinions, we're surely happy for some hacker to hear them also. He might learn about Christ from eavesdropping! If we were doing a "public lecture" sort of conversation, again this is fine on the same basis.

But for specific discussions on personal situations, or particular issues of borderline legality (e.g. marriage in circumstances that are legal in the jurisdiction of some participants to the conversation, but illegal in others), this probably isn't the best option.

I'd prefer a more secure option for everything of course, but ease of use is actually more important if we're trying to communicate, because many people we'd want to talk to are not that tech-savvy.

I have had one person report that their antivirus software reported malware on their computer after installing Zoom last weekend, which had to be cleaned. Has anyone else had similar problems? I am presently assuming that this malware (if it really existed and wasn't just antivirus software pretending to be doing something useful...) just happened to be contracted at that time and was unrelated to Zoom, as I have not heard of this issue before myself. But if anyone else observed this too, please say.

By the way NO FURTHER CONVERSATIONS HAVE BEEN PLANNED - yet. Because nobody has suggested a topic, or given any other guidance on what they'd like to see going forward. At this stage, last weekend's meeting was a once-off.

The ball's in your court everyone, make some suggestions if you want something to happen!

The idea of having a preplanned subject to talk about is good, but I also enjoyed just catching up with people, and putting faces to names/handles.

I think it could be nice to have something set up where people just get together to catch up once a week, much like the ladies chat, where everyone knows it is happening at x time, and can drop in if they wish.

While subjects that are planned are nice, I have always enjoyed conversations that happen organically much more.
This is just my 0.02 so take it for what it's worth.

I have had one person report that their antivirus software reported malware on their computer after installing Zoom last weekend, which had to be cleaned. Has anyone else had similar problems? I am presently assuming that this malware (if it really existed and wasn't just antivirus software pretending to be doing something useful...) just happened to be contracted at that time and was unrelated to Zoom, as I have not heard of this issue before myself. But if anyone else observed this too, please say.
I don't know if you are referring to me but I have used zoom several times but had an issue requiring an update. A few days after we met as a group on Saturday. Malware and phishing sites were found on my computer. I also received a message in my email that my personal information had been accessed and it was suggested I reset all my passwords. Maybe it isn't related to zoom I don't know for certain however read some of the reports and some inform about what is going on and there could be a link. Just an FYI.

I was referring to you. But if this didn't happen until days later it's almost certainly unrelated and we can ignore it. Thanks.

I also enjoyed just catching up with people, and putting faces to names/handles.
Same here! It was time well spent and good to get a little background about family and personal situations that others have. Further meetings might be worthwhile but planned topic discussions could need greater moderator attention to ensure discussions remain civil. Just say'n.

I think it could be nice to have something set up where people just get together to catch up once a week, much like the ladies chat, where everyone knows it is happening at x time, and can drop in if they wish.
What day / time would work best for that, for everyone?

@FollowingHim broskillet I dig option 2 for timing and wanna get in on this going forward please.
I think it would be cool to have a once a month hour long BF video conference. Some sort of message given each time followed by a open discussion.. like a laid back Bible study.

but planned topic discussions could need greater moderator attention to ensure discussions remain civil.
I am aware of this. I'm actually asking other people to step up with ideas and offers to speak partly because I would prefer for myself (or @nathan, or one of the mods) to sit in the background as a neutral "chairman". The meeting organiser has the ability to mute or boot participants from the meeting, if required...

I did not take the time to think through everybody else who could potentially have been interested and include them also, so you weren't on the list. But I'll add you if we do this again.

He was on the list... Perhaps he isn't getting alerts?

Screenshot_20200404-102601.png

I don’t have an idea for topics, but since I missed the last meet up I’d love for there to be another!

I wasn't able to meet, but I did hear of the real data breeches from Zoom. I don't have a Zoom app, so don't know if it was legit. Even with fixes, I hear it's still a problem. True?

I wasn't able to meet, but I did hear of the real data breeches from Zoom. I don't have a Zoom app, so don't know if it was legit. Even with fixes, I hear it's still a problem. True?
Quality wise for sound and vision I think it is best. I do an awful lot of conference calls these days for work and used MS Skype for Business, MS Teams and Zoom and with the latter the quality and stability is best (and Skype being the poorest). However, indeed there are multiple stories around Zoom on privacy issues and I can therefor image that people try to avoid it. Leaves MS Teams, but I don’t know how it scores cost wise (I have it as part of my employer’s equipment).

Back