• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Video conference get-togethers?

Would you be likely to participate in, by video conference:

• Informal get-to-know-each-other scheduled chats

Votes: 30 85.7%
  • A 15-minute scriptural talk followed by open discussion

Votes: 22 62.9%
  • A 60-minute detailed scriptural talk followed by open discussion

Votes: 12 34.3%
  • Prayer meetings

Votes: 13 37.1%
  • A "church service" style event: worship + message

Votes: 10 28.6%
  • A full Saturday or Sunday of fellowship, teaching & worship: mini online retreat

Votes: 17 48.6%
  • I would not be interested in any of this.

Votes: 2 5.7%

• Total voters
@FaithinGod Anything can be traced in this day and age. Your bank account, credit cards, online activity, and all that can be traced if someone REALLY wanted to find you. We do not live in fear, but on faith and trusting in Yah.
I never said I was living in fear. In my personal walk with God I feel God to tell me not to for multiple reasons I shared 2 of those reasons. As a fellow Christian I would appreciate you approaching as brotherly love instead insulting on the foroum. Being savy and appropaite is not how you came off

@FaithinGod Anything can be traced in this day and age. Your bank account, credit cards, online activity, and all that can be traced if someone REALLY wanted to find you. We do not live in fear, but on faith and trusting in Yah.

There is a difference between living in fear and taking basic security steps. Like strong passwords or not installing known malware.

Quality wise for sound and vision I think it is best. I do an awful lot of conference calls these days for work and used MS Skype for Business, MS Teams and Zoom and with the latter the quality and stability is bes

Bandwidth is expenses, you get what you pay for. If you're not paying for the service then they have to be making money off you somewhere else (like selling off your personal data).

I’m not tech savvy enough to to speak on the security of platforms, but would Google hangouts be an option? It’s free, so there’s that.

Bandwidth is expenses, you get what you pay for. If you're not paying for the service then they have to be making money off you somewhere else (like selling off your personal data).
I don't understand your comment. Based on the amounts of money my company pays for Micro$oft subscriptions, it should be top notch. Unfortunately it is not to my experience.

I don't understand your comment. Based on the amounts of money my company pays for Micro$oft subscriptions, it should be top notch. Unfortunately it is not to my experience.

Could and should are not the same thing. It's Microsoft, they've a multi-decade history of poor quality; which has only grown worse since H1B's took over the company. Skype SW quality reduced with every update.

My point is: streaming is bandwidth intensive and costs a lot of money. So if you're not paying for something (which streams video) they're going to make money off you somewhere else; usually by selling personal data.

I don't know Zoom's infrastructure, it is possible that they are using P2P connections; but those are as a general rule poorer quality when it comes to streaming so I tend to doubt it (esp. since they bring all the streaming into central servers to save the streams for other people to hack / spy / buy).

So based on that doc, it's not P2P. Distributed central servers.

And based on the fact that having a mere screenshot of a zoom conversation gave attackers the info to download the entire thing makes me think their security is micky mouse at best. Would never trust.

I read a report today of some bank banning use of both Zoom and Hangouts for company meetings. I wonder what they know about Hangouts that we don't.

So based on that doc, it's not P2P. Distributed central servers.

And based on the fact that having a mere screenshot of a zoom conversation gave attackers the info to download the entire thing makes me think their security is micky mouse at best. Would never trust.

I read a report today of some bank banning use of both Zoom and Hangouts for company meetings. I wonder what they know about Hangouts that we don't.
Can you link?

https://www.breitbart.com/tech/2020/04/15/bank-chief-tells-employees-stay-off-zoom-google-hangouts/
https://hotforsecurity.bitdefender....g-ids-leak-in-careless-screenshots-22923.html
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/k7e95m/zoom-leaking-email-addresses-photos

The more I read about this outfits quality of security the more I cringe. It's just comically bad. Things a self aware programmer wouldn't let get into a release.

Oh btw, the founder of Zoom is Chinese. And national level cabinate meetings are being held using this SW!

The reason I suggest Saturday in the USA is mainly because it means it's still the weekend for the entire world. Sunday in the USA is pushing into Monday for Oceania and Asia, so limits global participation.
Also, any online fellowship organised by churches in the USA is most likely on Sunday. So Saturday shouldn't clash with people's participation in more local events.
Saturday sounds better.

Back