• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

When seeking & developing a new relationship

B

BeingHeld

While searching for a lady to possibly add to your family, is it a good idea for the wife to build a relationship/friendship first with someone of interest or seek someone more compatible with the husband and then the women hopefully build a relationship later?

It appears if the women can't build a genuine relationship together first, it makes things difficult for the family as a whole.

Like Andrew said each Familes circumstances are different. In our case the lady who almost joined our family and I had developed a relationship with, while my wife and her barely had any contact. My wife felt hurt and was desperately trying to build a friendship with her. The other woman got Jealous and mistook comments that my wife made because she didn't know my wife well enough. I've also seen the same scenario different folks and it turned out well and they're a happy family.

Last edited:
Either way, woman to woman first or woman to man first, some succeed and some fail. I wouldn’t rule out either origin as a bad idea per se.

In our situation, I was her friend first. We became really good friends and @Isaac and I brought up poly with her.
I believe God knew I needed it to be this way because poly was—and is—still a rough thing for me.
If I hadn’t had loved her, and had her love me first, I think the whole thing would’ve been more difficult.
However, it could have totally gone another way. And, I’m sure God would’ve worked that out, as well.

I agree southerngrace. When a wife is left to the side and has to wait to build a friendship, it's hard because they have already built something and you have to find your place to fit. I feel if a lady is interested in your husband, that won't change. The longer youre kept from building the ladies relationship, the more apt sometimes the new lady will only want the man. But that's just my thoughts.

For me it isnt so much the new lady wanting only the husband as it is building the foundation of the household as one. You have the foundation for your relationship with the husband and you need one for the other wives as well, it is easier to build them all at one time than to build them individually. Then as individual couples and sisters you build the foundation for your family.

Southerngrace, I couldn't agree more. After all isn't it about family and the commitment to all involved? Yes, the husband with each wife has a covenant, but the family as a whole is what it's about to me.

Speaking as someone in a tentative situation here, and a guy, so, may not be super helpful, but:
My wife and the potential knew each other first and were what I would call 'acquaintance friends'. Not close, but positively inclined. They are also coworkers.
When the potential and I began a relationship, the wife was surprised because, I think, she had not considered PM a 'real' possibility, just a hypothetical. The potential and I got a bit closer than the wife was ready for, and we had to deal with the mess.
At this point we are all doing ok, but the wife is still struggling emotionally with the jealousy/insecurity typical to PM, and we (the potential and I) are taking it one step at a time and trying to respect the wife's readiness, while she makes progress. She's at the point where they eat lunch together at work, but I wouldn't call them 'friends' per se...the hurt made it difficult seeing as they were never super close to begin with.

I want them to be good friends. I NEED them to be, before I will add the potential to the household as a wife. Thankfully, the timing of that would be a few years down the road anyway, so right now I am just happy for whatever little progress they make getting to be friends again.

It is painful for me to see my wife's struggle. The potential loves her like a sister but the hurt (for my wife) makes it harder for that love to flow the other way. I am praying that with time, as things go on and progress, that will also change and grow better. Since the incident, I've already seen a lot of progress. When it first happened, the wife could barely stand to be in the same room with the potential in order to avoid saying anything mean or hurtful. They reconciled, and things are ok, but the struggle is still ongoing.

I don't know exactly how long it will take. Given their different personalities and where they were before, it's possible they will NEVER be best friends/sisters. I don't need them to be (from my perspective). I DO need them to like each other and get along, because I need them to be part of a single loving family unit...I absolutely refuse to split my life into multiple families.

All that said...there is a part of me that says, ultimately, it isn't up to them loving each other first. The potential isn't marrying my wife, she's marrying me. Yes, my wife is there and is part of the family and thus part of the 'deal', but ultimately as the man and head of the household, God has brought this woman into my life and I feel very strongly that He has called me to take care of her as a husband. Shall I avoid doing so because she and the wife aren't besties? I don't think that's good. So,
TLDR; It's not always feasible to be friends (especially close friends) first. Ultimately it's about the husband-wife relationship, not the wife-wife one (although that is certainly vital). What is needed is peace, patience, and love. Friendship-ness is extra.

The potential isn't marrying my wife, she's marrying me.

From my personal observations, this seems to be something that needs to become clear in the minds of the wives. There's really no difference biblically from an employer employing new workers; it's the employer who is taking on new staff and the old staff don't get to approve or disapprove, just carry on doing the work to the best of their respective abilities. Saying that, I fully realize there is more involved in a covenant union with a woman than in an employer/employee relationship, and especially when it comes to being in the same house fulltime. But I'm living in a place where some workers live in the same house as the employer and they all have to get along or it's :mad::mad: real quick. We treat the workers equally but we don't treat them the same and that goes for the wives; I treat them equally but not the same. Shalom

It's amazing how just a few weeks can change perspective. I remember reading some of the earlier posts down through July 5th, didn't respond to any of them one way or the other, and really had difficulty even comprehending the pros and cons being discussed at that time. I chalked it up to the fact that I'm still so new at this and on a pretty steep learning curve trying to understand so many new paradigmn shifts of thought. However, as I began to see the issues and hear the personal testimonies at retreat, tonight as I read everything from top to bottom in this thread, the topic is making so much more sense. Thank you so much to those who have shared their personal applications and thoughts.

Something that distresses me in establishing friendships myself and from listening to some retreat testimonies is the idea that when a potential doesn't end up joining the family, it seems there's a lot of hurt, heartache, and "friendship" that is just cut off or lost completely. When Cystrom shared his experience at retreat and explained why it abruptly ended after potential rejected his proposal, it was easy to see why that end was a best case scenario for him and his 1st wife. The potential had a Jezabel spirit and would probably have done everything possible to destroy the existing covenant if she had ever joined their family. So I get those sort of scenarios. Nevertheless, he spent months of effort and invested a lot to have it end in nothing.

For me, though, if I set out to establish a friendship with another lady, it is most importantly because I value her as a sister. If one takes BF out of the picture so that there isn't a man alongside of that same lady suggesting that a potential be approached, then for me, there is no difference as I seek a friendship with another sister. True friendship is a rare privilege in our society today. I don't approach it lightly whether inside of or outside of BF. What I'm hearing and reading in other threads is so sad that because a potential doesn't ultimately join a family, then a friendship is lost. Should it be that way? If a friendship is healthy, not self-serving, others oriented, and the friend is honestly loved and valued, then I would think wanting the very best for that person would be at the heart of any decision--to join a family, or in the best interests of all involved, not to join. True friendship doesn't say, "Be my friend so I can have ------.? OR " May I be your friend so I can --------?"

I do understand that in a BF setting, the husband may see a potential, whom neither he nor his wife have known previously and want both he and his wife to become friends with the potential in an effort to determine the Lord's will in the potential joining their home. As I've seen in some cases in BF, the wife already has a friend whom the husband comes to realize is a potential, and then he pursues a friendship with his wife's friend. Perhaps the husband has a friend whom he sees as a potential, but his wife has not met her yet, so the husband asks the wife to meet his friend whom he sees as a potential and asks the wife to build a friendship with his potential so that eventually they can become a family.

I also understand that not all friendships work out because on either side, one discovers there's not enough common ground to warrant pursuing investment in that particular person as a friend. This happens all the way through life and is not peculiar to BF. Ideally they should not part ways as enemies, especially if they are brother and sister in the Lord. Wanting the Lord's will for that other person's life--His very best--should trump the desired friendship once sought. Rejoicing that the Lord's will has been revealed, though it may involve disappointment for the moment, maintains an open door of fellowship among the body of believers. If each has respected the others, then seeing one another at BF retreats or other functions should still be possible without anxst.

For sure I'm speaking as a novice on this matter of friendships leading to a Biblical family setting. I'm painfully aware of this--that's why I'm posting and trying to understand and learn. Maybe I'm looking at this whole thing in a utopian or much too idealistic frame work for a practical, workable BF setting. Those of you who've navigated these waters, please help in this.

SouthernGrace72 said:
For me, I feel like I want to get to know them both at the same time. I would want to talk to with her and know her heart as well as his before moving forward in the relationship.

For me it isnt so much the new lady wanting only the husband as it is building the foundation of the household as one. You have the foundation for your relationship with the husband and you need one for the other wives as well, it is easier to build them all at one time than to build them individually. Then as individual couples and sisters you build the foundation for your family.

BeingHeld said:
I agree southerngrace. When a wife is left to the side and has to wait to build a friendship, it's hard because they have already built something and you have to find your place to fit. I feel if a lady is interested in your husband, that won't change. The longer youre kept from building the ladies relationship, the more apt sometimes the new lady will only want the man. But that's just my thoughts.

Southerngrace, I couldn't agree more. After all isn't it about family and the commitment to all involved? Yes, the husband with each wife has a covenant, but the family as a whole is what it's about to me.

MaryandJim said:
I agree with SouthernGrace and Beingheld. If the women of the house can't get along then family will suffer as a whole. Jim and I are new to the concept of PM but we think when Abba provides the second wife for him that we will build the relationship as a family.

As someone new in BF, I whole heartedly agree with all of these comments. The balance is off if both husband and wife are not seeking to establish the friendship with the potential. What I struggle with is if I have to lose a friendship with a sister because for some reason they don't feel like I would fit into their family, then why would I put time and effort into beginning the friendship. I really don't need my heart to be broken, and I certainly don't want to cause them to be hurt--brothers and sisters in the family of God are too special and valuable to want that for any of them. I also am so aware that to make oneself available for any sort of friendship with male or female, inside of or outside of BF, is to willingly become vulnerable and take the risk. So am I beating a dead horse?!?

I've read and heard enough comments of hurt, utter disappointment, or hesitancy to even look again for another BF family or potential that it has caused me to take spend much time in thought and prayer over this topic. There's so few of us embracing BF. If joining to family doesn't work and friendships are lost or severed, where does one go when there's nowhere else to go. Why would one ever want to try again? The idea of isolation to avoid being hurt or hurting someone else is almost to painful to bear also. At this point I almost feel like a blubbering fool and have rambled, but truly hope this group of caring people will respond with your thoughts and hope you can make sense out of what I've said.

Last edited:
I want them to be good friends. I NEED them to be, before I will add the potential to the household as a wife. Thankfully, the timing of that would be a few years down the road anyway, so right now I am just happy for whatever little progress they make getting to be friends again.

It is painful for me to see my wife's struggle. The potential loves her like a sister but the hurt (for my wife) makes it harder for that love to flow the other way. I am praying that with time, as things go on and progress, that will also change and grow better. Since the incident, I've already seen a lot of progress. When it first happened, the wife could barely stand to be in the same room with the potential in order to avoid saying anything mean or hurtful. They reconciled, and things are ok, but the struggle is still ongoing.

I don't know exactly how long it will take. Given their different personalities and where they were before, it's possible they will NEVER be best friends/sisters. I don't need them to be (from my perspective). I DO need them to like each other and get along, because I need them to be part of a single loving family unit...I absolutely refuse to split my life into multiple families.

This is a wonderful opportunity for your wife to practice Agape love. I know it's hard, but we're called to do it anyway towards ALL our brethren in Christ; how much more so aught we to do it towards those of our own household!

Individual circumstances can vary. In our case the first 'potential' addition decided to move on for reasons she never disclosed. The second was first an online friend to me, then talked to Hubby for several months on the phone before coming for a in person visit of several weeks. She chose not to tell her parents the whole nature of the relationship because she didn't want to alienate them when she really didn't know how she would feel after meeting us in real life.
Sadly, there was a scandalous revelation back home while she was here with a youth pastor going public about a relationship of several years he had been having with a girl in the church....who had just turned 18. So the gal we grew to care for went home to her family being all upset about this sittuation, hearing her mom make comments like "What did that girl think she was going to be, a sisterwife?" Or "His wife HAD to know, and that is just wrong!" After ten days of that she decided her family would never accept her choosing that life, her father would never give His blessing (something we all hoped for) and she broke things off with us. She had a very hard time, was depressed, felt like she was a pathetic pseudo adult (25 and living to please parents) and eventually stopped all contact. It's been six years. We have lost five children in the years since she was here, and added another baby girl. My friend I hoped would be my co-wife is probably still single....waiting for a suitable bachelor to come along.

I look forward to the coming paradigm change because some wonen are suited to polygynous life, but lack the strength to go against social and religious constructs to live it....and my heart still hurts for my friend.
I hope to hear she is happily married...with the children she wanted....but I doubt it.
Closure is practically impossible under some circumstances. I am just super thankful for the faith I have that it was all part of God's plan....even the hard parts.
That makes all the difference.

I look forward to the coming paradigm change because some wonen are suited to polygynous life, but lack the strength to go against social and religious constructs to live it....and my heart still hurts for my friend.

Those best suited to marriage (strong desire to please father) are least able to buck the social pressure.

It is sad, most Christian fathers send their girls out into the world unprotected and exert no authority in their daughter's search for a husband. Yet I wonder how many would object nonetheless to her joining a PM.

Back