• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

"Who is THE SATAN" The Adversary

I really have no desire to try and debate or change anyone's mind.
I can share that after reading other men's work compiling scripture and digging out definitions, we have a very different understanding of satan then we did at the beginning.
I was raised lds and I have seen people make fun of how they teach lucifer was Jesus' brother, but I find that the average catholic or protestant view is no closer then the mormons to the simple uncluttered understanding one would have if scripture (especially old testament) was the only source of knowledge influencing belief.
Sheldon Emry did an audio series in the 80's called Give the Devil His Due that has been transcribed and is available here. (Under recommended reading)

Pastor Bob Halstrom wrote a book called The Satan Among Us (which I have not read)

James R Breyshaw wrote a four book series on the subject of Satan. We only read his first volume which we downloaded for free. He gives away digital copies and has that offer out there in his YouTube video titled "Who was the Satan in Job." That book, (Satan Christianity's other God) was very thorough, clear, and compelling, bringing out many aspects in the scriptures that we tend to gloss over or read our prejudiced understanding into. I highly recommend it!

I/we sure don't know it all. At this point I am absolutely convinced that no matter what satan is, embodied being, spiritual force, or whatever....it is not in rebellion to God but rather is a tool that YHWH uses to chastise and correct His children. I see satan as His minister of the curses He promised us for disobedience. This understanding has helped me trust His sovereign power and love through challenging times.

This is where we ended up after study. Getting the truth from scripture about satan made him small and YHWH great. It eliminated a lot of fear and uncertainty. It left us with a more simple understanding of the forces we think of as "good" and "evil."
It showed us a Sovereign creator on the throne who knows the end from the beginning. One who's plan was not hijacked by a fallen angel who has been wrecking havoc here in His world.
It seems one of the challenges in understanding scripture is separating the figurative and prophetic speech from the literal and historic portions.

I hope for those interested in a deeper understanding that the materials I've mentioned are some help.

I think we all need greater understanding and more is needed not less.
I will look into the links you posted.

they teach lucifer was Jesus' brother
This triggered a new thought for me that I need to explore. Nothing concrete... just a thought... (and, already, in my head, I have some counter thoughts, but here goes...)

I just posted a video teaching titled Two Brides, One Stone and reveal that Jacob and Leah/Rachel are a prophetic picture of the larger scope of Yah's two brides...

Suppose Esau and Jacob are a similar picture of a much larger cosmic struggle..... hmmmm...

In prophetic pictures, the exact details do not all match, but the image is clearly there... Joseph as Yeshua or also Joseph as Ephraim in the nations, unrecognized by Judah... or, David's first and second coming... (I've written about all of these...)

But, Jacob and Esau as Yeshua and haSatan... Hmmm...

But, Jacob and Esau as Yeshua and haSatan... Hmmm...
Partially great, but that supplanter bit kinda overshadows.

Back