• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Why Jews don't say the sacred name of G-d & Maybe nobody should

IshChayil said:
LOL just what "great harm" are you figuring comes from showing respect to G-d by not writing out various titles of His fully?

The harm is when a person doing it to show respect begins to think that others show less respect by not doing it.
Anything people make up to show respect can become this, especially when a group of people begins to do it.
Like the Talmudist who said that anyone who: "pronounces the Name the way it is written has no share in the world to come!"; this is condemning the innocent, and is an abomination.

Anything that dishonors one's neighbor ceases to honor and rather dishonors God.
"Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me." - Matthew 25:40
"Whosoever shall receive one of such children in my name, receiveth me: and whosoever shall receive me, receiveth not me, but him that sent me." - Mark 9:37
Respect for one another is a prerequisite of respecting God:
"Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift." - Matthew 5:24

There is nothing wrong with using "God", "Father", and "Lord": these are well affirmed titles that God has given and used, but to say that we should not use his Name is outside of Scripture. Of course I have no ill feelings towards anyone who desires to show more respect to God, and out of the same desire, when inventing ways to honor him, one must be ever more sure not to dishonor him in the ways he places highest in Scripture.

What @Patrick Lauser said.

There is nothing wrong with using "God", "Father", and "Lord": these are well affirmed titles that God has given and used,
I agree with their is nothing wrong with using those titles as long you do not declare them Holy words, but saying god is a well affirmed title that Yah has given and used....He never did that. Its a word that didn't exisit before the 5th. Christianity came to the old English speaking regions in the 3 century but it wasn't until the late 6th and early 7th century when missionaries brought a revival to the church in England and the conversion of its pagan practitioners in earnest that the word god started to be used to represent Him. In the mid 7th century they aligned themselves completely with the Roman Catholic Church that the word god started to creep into other languages.

Last edited:
It is the idea that the Scriptures we have are edited and updated that is inadmissible according to the doctrine of preservation.

Do you have any conception of how we got our Bible? Scholars look at the literal hundreds and thousands of manuscripts and come up with a consensus document, because they can see the little edits/updates that occurred from manuscript to manuscript.

Life is not all black and white.

Exodus 6:2,3 And God spake unto Moses, and said unto him, I am the LORD:
And I appeared unto Abraham, unto Isaac, and unto Jacob, by the name of God Almighty, but by my name JEHOVAH was I not known to them.

Lots of interesting things going on with this passage.
Hey there Veritas, nice to have you in the mix. (I highlighted your point for emphasis :)

It is the idea that the Scriptures we have are edited and updated that is inadmissible according to the doctrine of preservation. The idea that whole words were replaced goes far beyond a jot or a tittle being lost.
The Scripture not only says the Name was used before Moses, but that it was used to name a place (YHWH yir-eh). If this was an edit, it would not only be an edit of what was said, but would be giving a wrong place name.

In Exodus 6:3, "יָדַע" is not used as introducing something people were ignorant of (or else the Scripture is contradictory), but of revealing, as the word is used when David says "know my heart": God was not ignorant of David's heart before. Notice that it is after the wonders of creation are complete that God then begins to be referred to as "the LORD God". God was about to reveal his Name in a way he had not revealed it to the fathers:
"Did ever people hear the voice of God speaking out of the midst of the fire, as thou hast heard, and live?
Or hath God assayed to go and take him a nation from the midst of another nation, by temptations, by signs, and by wonders, and by war, and by a mighty hand, and by a stretched out arm, and by great terrors, according to all that the LORD your God did for you in Egypt before your eyes?" - Deuteronomy 4:33-35

Rather I meant to say that the tradition may have chosen "Lord" to replace the Name for the same reason the writers of the Greek Scriptures chose "Lord" to translate the Name in Greek. I do not believe there was any tradition at the time of Christ not to say the Name, nor can we say that Christ did not say the name in Hebrew when it was translated "Lord" in Greek.

There were things that were to be only the domain of the priests or high priests or the whole tribe of Levi. Also the whole nation of Israel was sanctified as a priest among other nations: there are different levels, and each one is holy. God commanded all the Jews to wear the fringe, all the males to be circumcised and to appear at the Temple three times, and every firstling of man or beast was holy. Many things were holy which people interacted with every day.

The Scriptures are holy, and God commanded that they be written on doors and clothes and spoken of constantly, and: "Thou hast magnified thy word above all thy name." - Psalm 138:2
Interacting with something more does not make it less holy, only interacting with it outside of the way and manner it should be. Thus there were things commanded for only the priests, and other things commanded for all the people to do.

Note that the Catholics made a tradition that the "common" people should not read or teach or even understand the language of Scripture, and that any who did so were profaning the holy Scriptures and were anathema. But, "To eat with unwashen hands defileth not a man": so breaking a commandment of men taught as doctrine profanes nothing.

As to names, the full Name appears in at least four names, not of people, but of places: YHWH yir-eh, YHWH nissi, YHWH shalom, and YHWH shammah.

Whether treating the Name the same as a human name is wrong depends on what one means by "treating it as a human name". If this simply means using the Name at all, then of course it is not wrong. If instead it means not giving the Name reverence then of course it is wrong; and a person can use the Name with reverence.

As a side note, capitalizing "God" and "Lord", at least in Scripture, is not from Scripture, since the Scripture does not make any difference when it refers to false gods or to the true God, but uses "El" and "Elohim" for both, and uses "Kuriou" in the same way for both God and human lords. While it is innocent to use capitalization, it would be adding to Scripture to say one must use it, as it makes a distinction that the Scripture does not make.

The harm is when a person doing it to show respect begins to think that others show less respect by not doing it.
Anything people make up to show respect can become this, especially when a group of people begins to do it.
Like the Talmudist who said that anyone who: "pronounces the Name the way it is written has no share in the world to come!"; this is condemning the innocent, and is an abomination.

Anything that dishonors one's neighbor ceases to honor and rather dishonors God.
"Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me." - Matthew 25:40
"Whosoever shall receive one of such children in my name, receiveth me: and whosoever shall receive me, receiveth not me, but him that sent me." - Mark 9:37
Respect for one another is a prerequisite of respecting God:
"Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift." - Matthew 5:24

There is nothing wrong with using "God", "Father", and "Lord": these are well affirmed titles that God has given and used, but to say that we should not use his Name is outside of Scripture. Of course I have no ill feelings towards anyone who desires to show more respect to God, and out of the same desire, when inventing ways to honor him, one must be ever more sure not to dishonor him in the ways he places highest in Scripture.
*** my dog in this fight is only regarding using the divine ineffable name of G-d in Hebrew in normal "i.e. profane" speech **
That's why I started this thread to share with others; please re-read my original post which started this thread; most of your points are preemptively predicted and handled there and I'm trying to get out of the habbit of repeating myself too often in the forums (a friend on the site pointed out that I have a tendency to repeat the same points so I'm working on not doing that ;)

Capitalizing English words or hyphenating God G-d etc. I'll cede that to you; I don't care so much about so I'm happy to let that go; I just do it because it honors my fathers by doing the way they want it done and I don't feel like violating the 5th commandment. If you have a different tradition in your heritage well have at it. Russian Jews write Г-сподь but none of these translations are His name anyway.

Regarding your claim that pronouncing the Name was never forbidden in New Testament times, you need to check your history brother. It absolutely was; pronouncing the name of G-d in Yeshua's day outside of the temple by non-cohanim was a capital offense. I'm not leaning on this claim as to if it was right or wrong to give the death penalty for it, just saying... it would have been nice if Yeshua taught us to buck that tradition as you correctly pointed out He took a stand from time to time when a tradition was unwarranted.
That being the case the burden of proof is on you to show that the disciples ever violated this social norm (of not saying the Name of G-d out loud) in their lifetimes.
I already laid out the manuscript evidence.

Regarding Biblical Criticism: I can't put it any better than @rockfox did. If you are curious about that issue there are entire threads discussing it on this site; photos uploaded for textual evidences etc.
I'm pretty sure we all believe in divine inspiration here so let's not get too excited on this and derail the thread.

Hope you'll understand if I choose not to respond to various passages informing us not to hurt brothers and sisters...we are discussing the topic of saying or not saying G-d's proper name and if my position is correct in keeping with at least 2400 years of Jewish thought on this (that it's unwise to pronounce His name willy-nilly) then there is a command to "correct your brother and not stand on his blood, I am Hashem"...and this thread is the place for that.

Thank you for the thought and time you put into crafting your response to me.
Welcome brother

Thank you IshChayil for your kind words!

Something else happened yesterday I should mention. We go to Bible study on that evening, and that time we were too short on time to look at the planned psalm (Psalm 10), and our pastor chose Psalm 8. But, in spite of being short on time, he did a brief focus study on "O LORD our Lord" (completely not knowing that I had been reading and writing about the same subject on this forum). He talked about the meanings of the Name and its holiness and the extreme view that it should not be used (*wink*), but also finished with something of note: the Name above all names:
"Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name:
That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth;
And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father." - Philippians 2:9-11

After all, Yeshua is the Word, and: "Thou hast magnified thy word above all thy name." - Psalm 138:2

On other lines, I would say that when it comes to Jewish thought there are many things that are thousands of years old and completely contrary to Scripture: "Many such like things do ye." - Mark 7:13
For example, I am not sure how old the custom is, but many Jews have the tradition of men covering their heads during prayer: the precise opposite of the biblical ordinance. So a tradition going back to the time of Christ (when he condemned them) doesn't help them to any greater merit (it only means that it is possible for them to have merit, which would not be very possible if they were recent in origin). It seems a historical question I would want to examine the sources for anyway: how long the tradition was, what kind it was at what time, and whether it began as a Roman restriction. So yes, the Name should not be used "willy-nilly", but be used with reverence, but one should not go to a tradition that has been stained from the beginning with innocent blood to know how to reverence the Name.

With the preservation of Scripture, I would clarify that certainly Christ did not mean that no copy of the Scripture would ever exist that had a jot out of place, but that every jot would be backed up by evidence and never fall into any degree of reasonable doubt. As I quoted Floyd Nolen Jones' book in another thread, of the 5,262 ancient manuscripts from the Greek Scriptures 99% are in agreement, and the 1% that don't agree are also not in agreement with each other.

This is a good discussion to have, as it is good to reexamine our practices and confirm what is truly holy and honoring to God. Thank you for starting the thread!

Thank you IshChayil for your kind words!
Something else happened yesterday I should mention. We go to Bible study on that evening, and that time we were too short on time to look at the planned psalm (Psalm 10), and our pastor chose Psalm 8. But, in spite of being short on time, he did a brief focus study on "O LORD our Lord" (completely not knowing that I had been reading and writing about the same subject on this forum). He talked about the meanings of the Name and its holiness and the extreme view that it should not be used (*wink*), but also finished with something of note: the Name above all names:
"Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name:
That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth;
And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father." - Philippians 2:9-11
After all, Yeshua is the Word, and: "Thou hast magnified thy word above all thy name." - Psalm 138:2

Hey Patrick,
Good stuff about Yeshua's name being above all names. This is much more meaningful when we understand that his name means "salvation".
In the states, it's actually a more extreem position to say G-d's name.
Most English bibles don't have it printed out, they say LORD; most preachers don't say His name they say "the LORD" maybe it's different in Ireland?
I don't think reverencing His name by not saying is so extreme, it seems to be the Christian tradition as well as the Jewish tradition for the most part.... the new sacred namers movement is the odd man out (using it as often as possible and even trying to invent new names for Yeshua like "Yahshua" etc). If you mean the position of not saying it ever, even in private prayer, then OK I accept that Messianics and Jews may be more extreme but I don't think I'm off base to say that most Christians don't use the name in prayer. Yeshua,Jesus, God, and Lord, and sometimes Abba is what I've usually heard at churches ranging from Pentecostal to Baptist.

On other lines, I would say that when it comes to Jewish thought there are many things that are thousands of years old and completely contrary to Scripture: "Many such like things do ye." - Mark 7:13
Yes, the shamaites and sadducaical traditions were insane. I'm glad they died out.
Also glad much Christian thought and traditions have died out...
I certainly wasn't a fan of "death penalty for translating the bible" which was the norm for centuries...
For example, I am not sure how old the custom is, but many Jews have the tradition of men covering their heads during prayer: the precise opposite of the biblical ordinance. So a tradition going back to the time of Christ (when he condemned them) doesn't help them to any greater merit (it only means that it is possible for them to have merit, which would not be very possible if they were recent in origin).
First off who did Yeshua condemn in your mind? I seem to remember him calling Gentiles "dogs". lol and warning his disciples not to go to the Gentiles. Of course we know from his full ministry that the entire "first church" were Jews so who do you think he condemned and how does that bolster your argument that one should be able to say the divine name at will?

Care to cite the biblical injunction against wearing a yarmulka during prayer?
I hope you aren't referring to 1 Corinthians. If so you need to research more on that brother. When reading Paul's letters it's good practice to always check who the immediate audience was.
For example: "Is this an audience of converts from a pagan religion where the man used to put on a veil before he approached the idol?" that kind of stuff is good to know so we don't "add to or take way" from the Law of G-d through superficial reading of scriptures.

So yes, the Name should not be used "willy-nilly", but be used with reverence, but one should not go to a tradition that has been stained from the beginning with innocent blood to know how to reverence the Name.
Would you care to elaborate here? Which "tradition has been stained from the beginning with innocent blood"? The tradition the Messiah was part of?
What are you saying here? Also you fellas who clicked like on that post maybe you can clarify for me what you thought this statement meant since most of you are on more often than Pat.

Moving back to the topic at hand...my point stands that we know it was the tradition in those days to not say G-d's name; we have no example of Yeshua teaching otherwise. From a guy who makes his own whips and boots sinners from the temple, I kinda would have expected to hear something from him on this. Instead...he teaches to say "Abba". Can you respond to that specific point? Why we need to go beyond what Yeshua has taught by example? Why we need to deviate from both Jewish and most of Christian tradition on this issue?

You can't just say "tradition is bad m'kay ... m'kay"

Last edited:
Most English bibles don't have it printed out, they say LORD ... Yeshua,Jesus, God, and Lord, and sometimes Abba is what I've usually heard at churches ranging from Pentecostal to Baptist.
While we cannot say something should or should not be done based on how many people do it, I have heard people from various backgrounds use the Name outside of prayer or worship (reverently), either JEHOVAH (which is written out in the English Bible in some places), or YHWH by those who are more interested in the Hebrew end of things, or the names of God in general (which encompasses a broad scope of people).

who did Yeshua condemn in your mind?
He condemned all the tradition of the Jewish elders, because they taught that it was wrong not to keep it.
"For the Pharisees, and all the Jews, except they wash their hands oft, eat not, holding the tradition of the elders.
And when they come from the market, except they wash, they eat not. And many other things there be, which they have received to hold, as the washing of cups, and pots, brasen vessels, and of tables.
Then the Pharisees and scribes asked him, Why walk not thy disciples according to the tradition of the elders, but eat bread with unwashen hands?
He answered and said unto them, Well hath Esaias prophesied of you hypocrites, as it is written, This people honoureth me with their lips, but their heart is far from me.
Howbeit in vain do they worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men." - Mark 7:5-7
If we are to follow Christ's example, and if we are to condemn something, we should condemn the enforcing of the traditions of men.

When reading Paul's letters it's good practice to always check who the immediate audience was.
For example: "Is this an audience of converts from a pagan religion where the man used to put on a veil before he approached the idol?" that kind of stuff is good to know so we don't "add to or take way" from the Law of G-d through superficial reading of scriptures.
I would look at the audience that Paul indicated: since he was telling the Corinthians to keep the ordinances that he taught, what is the audience of God's ordinances, and the teachings of his prophets?
Also he does not leave the reasons for this ordinance up to us to speculate on from our knowledge of history, but sets them out plainly: that a man covering his head in prayer is shameful as having long hair. Unless it is no longer a shame for men to have long hair or for women to shave their heads, then we are the audience of this ordinance.
While, again, we cannot determine what is right based on how many do it, this ordinance was the practice in many churches for thousands of years, and people are again bringing it back to notice. Similarly after I found Biblical Families after I came to my conclusion about polygyny, I found these people online after I came to my conclusion about this ordinance.

Would you care to elaborate here? Which "tradition has been stained from the beginning with innocent blood"? The tradition the Messiah was part of?
I am sorry if I was not clear, I was referring to: "pronouncing the name of G-d in Yeshua's day outside of the temple by non-cohanim was a capital offense." If this is what the tradition began as, and if this is the people who began it, then the tradition began as murder, and was begun by murderers - the same who murdered God because he said "I am the son of God" - and thus he did take a direct stand against a related tradition:
"The Jews answered him, saying, For a good work we stone thee not; but for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God.
Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods?
If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came, and the scripture cannot be broken;
Say ye of him, whom the Father hath sanctified, and sent into the world, Thou blasphemest; because I said, I am the Son of God?" - John 10:33-36

Then there is this:
"Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am.
Then took they up stones to cast at him: but Jesus hid himself, and went out of the temple, going through the midst of them, and so passed by." - John 8:58-59
So here he says the Name in its root form, especially if he was speaking in Hebrew at the time (no doubt he was). And it also shows why he did not make a more public habit of it, if in fact he did not. We cannot prove that "Kuriou" (and "LORD" of course) was not a valid translation of the Name not in its root form of I AM.

Instead...he teaches to say "Abba". Can you respond to that specific point? Why we need to go beyond what Yeshua has taught by example?
If God didn't breach this tradition (we cannot prove that he didn't unless he said he didn't), it means that it is not wrong to follow it. His example can only lead us to condemn those who do not follow it, if that is what he did.
Similarly when people say polygyny is wrong because God made one wife for Adam, what this fact actually tells us is that it is not wrong to marry one wife, not that it is wrong to do anything else.

You can't just say "tradition is bad m'kay ... m'kay"
Yes, tradition is not bad - Christmas for example. It is bad when it is called wrong to not follow a man made tradition.

Hey @Patrick Lauser , I have bumped heads with @IshChayil on some of these similar issue and while I don't agree with him on many things, the headcovering being one of them, I have found that his extensive knowledge on a host of issues almost always improves my own understanding of even the things I disagree with him about.
It's not unprofitable to remember either that Ish is protecting a culture that has frequently found itself under attack, often times literally.
What needs to be remembered here is that Christ's interactions with the Pharisees was not an indictment of Jewish culture or a complete negation of all Jewish religious thought but was rather was a living warning to all believers about humility before God and a fanatical devotion to understand and obeying His Word. For us the Pharisees are not figures to scorn but for us to identify with. We are now the Pharisees. We have two thousand years of religious tradition that is no more accurate or less misleading than anything the Pharisees, the Orthodox, the Assemblies or God or any other alleged believers have ever come up with.
So start there. Acknowledge the debt we all owe to the Jews. Through them the whole world was blessed. Through them almost every Word of scripture was delivered. Through them we were able to learn incredibly hard lessons that we didn't have to suffer to learn. Our Lord and Savior was a Jew and a perfect one. Paul was a Jew and occasionally he was an excellent one. John the Baptist was the greatest man that ever lived and he was a mensch, a super Jew. James, Matthew, John; all of them Jews. Our faith was almost wholly delivered to us through the Israelites and mostly through the Jews. And that's not even dealing with what's happened since the first century. America was discovered by a converted Jew. Chistopher Columbus' parents were Jewish converts to Christianity. I could go on and on.
So come from a place of respect, which is very befitting in a young man who is interacting with a fellow believer more advanced in years and accomplishments. Take the gold and leave the dross but don't put your brother in a position where he has to thread the needle between rightly dividing the Word and reinforcing ancient, destructive and wrong headed beliefs about his people.

He condemned all the tradition of the Jewish elders, because they taught that it was wrong not to keep it.
Just to be clear your speaking of the oral traditions being taught as the commandments of The Father not the instructions given by Elyon to Moses at Mercy seat. Exodus 25:22.

Hey @Patrick Lauser , I have bumped heads with @IshChayil on some of these similar issue and while I don't agree with him on many things, the headcovering being one of them, I have found that his extensive knowledge on a host of issues almost always improves my own understanding of even the things I disagree with him about.
It's not unprofitable to remember either that Ish is protecting a culture that has frequently found itself under attack, often times literally.
What needs to be remembered here is that Christ's interactions with the Pharisees was not an indictment of Jewish culture or a complete negation of all Jewish religious thought but was rather was a living warning to all believers about humility before God and a fanatical devotion to understand and obeying His Word. For us the Pharisees are not figures to scorn but for us to identify with. We are now the Pharisees. We have two thousand years of religious tradition that is no more accurate or less misleading than anything the Pharisees, the Orthodox, the Assemblies or God or any other alleged believers have ever come up with.
So start there. Acknowledge the debt we all owe to the Jews. Through them the whole world was blessed. Through them almost every Word of scripture was delivered. Through them we were able to learn incredibly hard lessons that we didn't have to suffer to learn. Our Lord and Savior was a Jew and a perfect one. Paul was a Jew and occasionally he was an excellent one. John the Baptist was the greatest man that ever lived and he was a mensch, a super Jew. James, Matthew, John; all of them Jews. Our faith was almost wholly delivered to us through the Israelites and mostly through the Jews. And that's not even dealing with what's happened since the first century. America was discovered by a converted Jew. Chistopher Columbus' parents were Jewish converts to Christianity. I could go on and on.
So come from a place of respect, which is very befitting in a young man who is interacting with a fellow believer more advanced in years and accomplishments. Take the gold and leave the dross but don't put your brother in a position where he has to thread the needle between rightly dividing the Word and reinforcing ancient, destructive and wrong headed beliefs about his people.

I agree with what you said but would change one distinction, I would change the word 'Jew' to Hebrew. Saying 'Jew' doesn't distinguish between the separate tribes and other family groups that operate in God's history.

I agree with what you said but would change one distinction, I would change the word 'Jew' to Hebrew. Saying 'Jew' doesn't distinguish between the separate tribes and other family groups that operate in God's history.
Why Hebrew? Saying Hebrew doesn't distinguish between the separate tribes and other family groups that operate in God's history

Why Hebrew? Saying Hebrew doesn't distinguish between the separate tribes and other family groups that operate in God's history

Actually I was going to change it to Israelite. Or I guess Hebrew, the people that Moses lead out of Egypt and it wasn't just the Jews, which is short for Judah, only one tribe.

Last edited by a moderator:
which is short for Judah, only one tribe.
Or, 'house of Judah' which technically includes Benjamin, Simeon (assimilated ) and large parts of Levi.

I made the distinction. It's just that even so most of the Bible did come through Judah and then the Jews (who were more than just the tribe of Judah, being the homogenation of everyone who came back from Babylon plus whatever converts joined them over the centuries.) So all rhe books of the Old Testament that came after the captivity, obviously the books of David and Solomon plus the historical books concerned with Judah were all produced through Judah or the Jews. And of course the.whole .ew Testament.

My only point in all this is to try and make sure labels for family groups and land locations for that group don't get mixed up in Zionism, at least for me.

My only point in all this is to try and make sure labels for family groups and land locations for that group don't get mixed up in Zionism, at least for me.
Understand, but I'm curious. Does your distaste for Zionism allow for the fulfillment of the prophecies for the restoration of the 'whole house of Israel' and the prophesies of return to the Land? How do you account for that swath of unfulfilled prophecy?

G-d's a Zionist bro....

Understand, but I'm curious. Does your distaste for Zionism allow for the fulfillment of the prophecies for the restoration of the 'whole house of Israel' and the prophesies of return to the Land? How do you account for that swath of unfulfilled prophecy?

This all goes back to the same discussions in other places about 'Who is a Jew' in God's eyes, and how does prophecy get fulled based on that understanding.

G-d's a Zionist bro....

Zionist
Also found in: Thesaurus, Financial, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Zi·on·ism
(zī′ə-nĭz′əm)
n.
A political movement that supports the maintenance and preservation of the state of Israel as a Jewish homeland, originally arising in the late 1800s with the goal of reestablishing a Jewish homeland in the region of Palestine.

I doubt very seriously that God is a Zionist in a physical since. Zionism is the confusion of names, peoples, and land locations to justify a political outcome.

However, if you are talking spiritual and the idea of a heavenly Jerusalem, I agree God is a Zionist.

Hebrews 18:22 18You have not come to a mountain that can be touched and that is burning with fire; to darkness, gloom and storm; 19to a trumpet blast or to such a voice speaking words that those who heard it begged that no further word be spoken to them, 20because they could not bear what was commanded: “If even an animal touches the mountain, it must be stoned to death.” c 21The sight was so terrifying that Moses said, “I am trembling with fear.” d

22But you have come to Mount Zion, to the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem. You have come to thousands upon thousands of angels in joyful assembly, 23to the church of the firstborn, whose names are written in heaven. You have come to God, the Judge of all, to the spirits of the righteous made perfect, 24to Jesus the mediator of a new covenant, and to the sprinkled blood that speaks a better word than the blood of Abel.

Galatians 4:21Tell me, you who want to be under the law, are you not aware of what the law says? 22For it is written that Abraham had two sons, one by the slave woman and the other by the free woman. 23His son by the slave woman was born according to the flesh, but his son by the free woman was born as the result of a divine promise.

24These things are being taken figuratively: The women represent two covenants. One covenant is from Mount Sinai and bears children who are to be slaves: This is Hagar. 25Now Hagar stands for Mount Sinai in Arabia and corresponds to the present city of Jerusalem, because she is in slavery with her children. 26But the Jerusalem that is above is free, and she is our mother. 27For it is written:

“Be glad, barren woman,
you who never bore a child;
shout for joy and cry aloud,
you who were never in labor;
because more are the children of the desolate woman
than of her who has a husband.” e

28Now you, brothers and sisters, like Isaac, are children of promise. 29At that time the son born according to the flesh persecuted the son born by the power of the Spirit. It is the same now. 30But what does Scripture say? “Get rid of the slave woman and her son, for the slave woman’s son will never share in the inheritance with the free woman’s son.” f 31Therefore, brothers and sisters, we are not children of the slave woman, but of the free woman

Words of Paul.

ב"ה
While we cannot say something should or should not be done based on how many people do it, I have heard people from various backgrounds use the Name outside of prayer or worship (reverently), either JEHOVAH (which is written out in the English Bible in some places), or YHWH by those who are more interested in the Hebrew end of things, or the names of God in general (which encompasses a broad scope of people).
Maybe it would be good if you state your position more clearly Patrick.
This point is not claiming we follow the majority; it was merely a response to your assertion that it is the Jewish practice of not using G-d's name in ordinary speech, writings, etc. is EXTREME by pointing out that actually most Christians also have not traditionally used G-d's name in their writings, bible translations, and day to day speech. Now you've misdirected with "we shouldn't follow the crowd" and you're further responding that you have heard some people use the name often. I don't see how that in anyway undermines my claim that you are wrong about the Messianic/Jewish position being EXTREME. In point of fact, it demonstrates that those using the name often are EXTREME. This does not speak to the correctness of saying or not saying the name; it only checks your original statement that the Jewish position on this which Christians have generally followed as well throughout the ages is not the Extreme position. I hope we don't need to talk more about that.

He condemned all the tradition of the Jewish elders, because they taught that it was wrong not to keep it. ….. we should condemn the enforcing of the traditions of men…..
I think you need to do some more research brother. I don't have the time to enumerate traditions of Jewish Elders which Yeshua himself performed Himself, I'll let you DuckDuckGo that.
It may be helpful if you do a thought experiment: I humbly suggest you think about how much traditions of men effect every single thing you do in life; including your Hermeneutics .

I would look at the audience that Paul indicated: since he was telling the Corinthians to keep the ordinances that he taught…. Also he does not leave the reasons for this ordinance up to us to speculate on from our knowledge of history, but sets them out plainly: that a man covering his head in prayer is shameful as having long hair
So, by your interpretation a man who took a Nazarite vow during Paul’s lifetime would have been shameful in prayer (because he would have had long hair). This view on scripture is hyper-simplistic and will get you into trouble when you deal with enemies of your soul (atheists, etc) who will mercilessly disassemble your world view before your eyes and whatever audience is standing around, with glee. See this is why it is absolutely vital to read scripture not through the traditions we just happened to grow up with, but to try to see things from the perspective in which they were taught.
[I'm not calling you arrogant here, I think it's a common way of looking at scripture in the body so please take it that way, here goes...]
It’s a bit arrogant to assume we are more important than the direct receivers of Paul’s letters. I’m not blaming you for this hermeneutical arrogance, it’s part and parcel of much of modern Christian culture. Certainly we can agree that the first readers of Paul’s letters were at least as important as we are right? So, why would it be problematic to read them in light of the way they were meant to be read by those initial recipients?
Example:
In America, we have a problem where the leftist judges interpret our constitution in a way which doesn’t require them to consider the “original intent”. We have letters written by the framers of the constitution, so we actually know exactly what they intended but the lefties just ignore all of that. That’s how we got legalized abortion by not reading the document in the way the writers intended it. So, I’d rather interpret the bible whenever possible in this manner; the way in which the author’s intended then; not will-nilly how the words just happen to present meaning to us translated across language, culture, and time, out of context as it were.
Can you see it's a good rule of thumb when scripture seems to not make sense “like a guy wearing a head covering (Paul) who possibly sponsored some guys who took a Nazarite vow [long hair] (in Acts))” says,
“long hair is bad” or “it’s shameful for a guy to cover his head”?
I think it’s absolutely reasonable to examine history and see who the heck where these guys he was writing to otherwise you don't properly understand the supposed blank edict you are assuming Paul is making (which would actually be a big deal back then). If we are dealing with generalized wisdom like proverbs, this is not always necessary; but with Paul it very often is. Sometimes in Proverbs it is as well. (Is it ok to hit kids with metal rods? What is a rod? what was it to that culture?). To ask questions like these is part of what it means to "love the L-rd your G-d with all your heart (means mind in Hebrew and the LXX translation)".

"Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am....
So here he says the Name in its root form
, especially if he was speaking in Hebrew at the time (no doubt he was). And it also shows why he did not make a more public habit of it, if in fact he did not.
Yes, I had that exact same verse in mind when I wrote that He never breaks the social norm of not saying the divine name and never teaches others to do so.
The Greek there "ego eimi" maps back through the Septuagint via Exodus 3:16; it's a translation in Greek of the Hebrew "Ehye" which is not the name of G-d. Even G-d Himself when telling Moses what name to say has sent him, doesn't have Moses say His name; instead Moses is to report to the people that "Ehye" sent me.
If you're claim were true that any form of any word which derives from the same root word from which G-d's name is formed were forbidden well people wouldn't be able to even talk. In Hebrew you often get at least 20 words from one root and in the case of the divine name His name is likely 3rd person singular conjugation [out of 9 conjugations] (of the Hiphil binyan [out of 7 common verbal forms]). By your reasoning we wouldn't be allowed to read the first part of the bible "yehi ohr!" (let there be light) because it uses the same verbal root which forms G-d's name.
In Israel today I can say "Ehye" on the street at Bet Shemesh (a 99% religious neighborhood) and people will answer "OK you will be what?".
"Ehye" is not the name of G-d and that is what you quoted Yeshua as saying. Again, your making points for my position. Sorry, if I baited you into that one; I was curious if you'd bite or not ;)

If God didn't breach this tradition (we cannot prove that he didn't unless he said he didn't),
??? I don't need to prove that He didn't, scripture shows me from His actions He acted in accordance with it; again the burden is on you to prove He/His disciples/Apostles, writers of the Apostolic writings, etc. ever broke with this interpretation of sanctifying G-d's name (notice I didn't say 'tradition' :) ... Now, this is the 3rd time I'm reminding you of the L-rd's prayer. You may consider ceding this point; there are others you can make your case more strongly on.

Yes, tradition is not bad - Christmas for example. It is bad when it is called wrong to not follow a man made tradition.
Too many negatives in that sentence you made my head spin! Is that an Esperanto thing Patrick?
OK, I marked it up so it's clearer for others to follow.
We are commanded to set up judges/elders to make official decisions regarding the Law (this is the Messianic / H.R. Forum so we are Law-keepers in here)... See Deuteronomy 16:18.
So that's an unabrogated command. Judges (religious leaders, elders, etc) make decisions on appropriate behavior. For example: "don't go to a beach where women are in bikinis".
It's not a sin to go to a beach but it may be a sin to start ogling some lasse there who is married. From the elders' decision, a tradition is born.
That's a good tradition right? In our tradition we aren't allowed to go to beaches like that and it keeps us from sin and the tradition was invented by the Biblical machinery which G-d designed to allow religious leaders to make such judgements ... inventing new traditions. Everything follows the chain of command. Even the tradition of the netilat yadayim (washing of hands) stems from biblical authority. Yeshua, however, dealt with the corrupt individuals standing in front of him. It is an error in reason to try to take a very specific case and then over-generalize from that case. Translation: you can't derive from Yeshua's knocking down of hand washing and corn sabbath snatching that the other 40k traditions are all wrong. That's an unreasonable claim to make.
You may want to know also that the Pharisees who took over the Sanhedrin later (Hillelites) overturned many of the decisions of the Pharisees (Shamaites) with whom Yeshua was arguing. These reforms form the basis of the Jewish tradition for the past millennia.

I appreciate your zeal. May I suggest, you slow down and take some days to ponder and reflect before continuing along this line?
In the end you may be right, but at a minimum I think you aren't processing all the information that's been shared with you.
BTW: thanks for the link on head-coverings. I love seeing ladies wearing those. In the Eastern church (Russia, etc) it's required for gals to wear them and married Jewish gals also.
Final thought: If you feel led by G-d to say His name who am I to tell you not to. I'm glad you've reviewed my best stab at why I think it's a bad idea.

Dankon amiko!

Last edited:
Back