• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Will a man change his mind about polygyny?

southernphotini

Female
I was discussing with a friend how people have things in their nature that will not change, even if the person tries to change for someone else.

An example is my mother did not like coffee her entire life, although everyone else in the family drank it.

I have also had experiences where friends have told me about a man “He says he will change for me” and of course he doesn’t, and we all reasonably knew he wouldn’t.

So my question is, regardless of the reason and rationale for the desire for polygyny (Biblical, needing more love/support, etc), when a man desires more than one wife is he ever likely to change?

Is this something he will always want even if he doesn’t act on it?

Not looking for judgement on anyone, but curious if this is a somewhat immutable part of a person’s nature?

My hubby has an opinion on this. He thinks a lot of men only  think they want polygyny. His opinion is many men, once they get close get a reality check. They realize that having another wife will change things up in big ways, and everyone will see them and their family in a different light. He suspects this is why many men decide a certain woman isn't a fit, when really they might just be not ready for the fallout and social issues. A man can keep a woman on the side a more private matter.....but a wife is another story.

I think the idea appeals more then the reality. Most men could have affection for another woman, few can keep more then one happy and balance all the changes.
They might always like the idea....but never find a potential that will make them take the plunge.

Most men want more than one wife even before they learn about the possibility of plural marriage. So the probability of no longer wanting one isn’t great.

How some ever, some marriages do cure the husband of the delusion that another wife would enhance his life.

Most men will always be intrigued by the idea of multiple sexual partners (Coolidge Effect). In that way, I believe he will always "want" to be polygynous. The actual decision to be polygynous is obviously a bigger decision than sexual interest. So a wise man would weigh his own situation and the women involved before deciding if he is interested. Just because he is not interested in being polygynous with a certain woman, it may not mean he has abandoned the idea of polygyny.

My hubby has an opinion on this. He thinks a lot of men only  think they want polygyny. His opinion is many men, once they get close get a reality check. They realize that having another wife will change things up in big ways, and everyone will see them and their family in a different light. He suspects this is why many men decide a certain woman isn't a fit, when really they might just be not ready for the fallout and social issues. A man can keep a woman on the side a more private matter.....but a wife is another story.

I think the idea appeals more then the reality. Most men could have affection for another woman, few can keep more then one happy and balance all the changes.
They might always like the idea....but never find a potential that will make them take the plunge.

I lived it irl for several years and had multiple live in near misses. Some of it negative and some positive.
The thing is, pretty much men as a whole could say the same thing about their dating life broadly speaking.
Presuming in advance relationships entered into in good will, many of them are going to fail. You mean well, she means well and you like each other...perhaps love each other. Will it necessarily last? Ideally yeah. Life frequently manages to fall short of our ideals. How many men decide that another relationship with a (Hopefully) compatible partner is no longer for them? I know it happens. My father for example had such bad experiences with his two wives that he ended up with significant PTSD over and above that which he received in multiple combat tours in Vietnam. So the idea of we having another woman in his life terrified him. I don't think this is remotely the norm however.

Most of us will get up, dust ourself off and hopefully learn some good lessons from the experience and move on. Moving on means being open to if not actively seeking another partner.
Plural marriage is normal. Polygamist men who failed in one iteration of plural marriage are apt, just like single men to still seek a new partner...unless it was a monumentally scaring process.

My second marriage did not work out. Nothing negative to say about her and I hope she prospers in the future. We were great for a few years but unfortunately not for life. She continues to live and want the vision she has for her life. I continue to live and desire to live the life I envision.

Maybe some guys will be put off but my prediction it that most will not. Plural marriage can be wonderful. It would be difficult to walk away from its pursuit.

I guess I’m curious that if a man expresses interest in this, but says he will abandon interest for the sake of an existing wife, is it reasonable for her to expect that he will not be interested going forward?

In We Want For Our Sisters What We Want For Ourselves the depiction tends to be more that this is an innate desire and immutable characteristic harnessed for the glory of God. But that book focuses on African American culture. I’m wondering if it’s more broadly true across cultures?

I guess I’m curious that if a man expresses interest in this, but says he will abandon interest for the sake of an existing wife, is it reasonable for her to expect that he will not be interested going forward?
Not at all, in my opinion.
“A man convinced against his will, is of the same opinion still.”

that this is an innate desire and immutable characteristic harnessed for the glory of God. But that book focuses on African American culture. I’m wondering if it’s more broadly true across cultures?

Yes. Broadly speaking God created all men this way; or at least a high percentage. It is a part of our created nature. But some are made eunuch's by God. And not all have the interpersonal skill and drive to manage multiple women.

Now that doesn't mean all find the pull strong enough to go to the trouble, doesn't mean they'll find a woman good enough to be worth the risks, doesn't mean they won't be willing to put that desire on a cross, but it is there for most men at some level. Just look at the prominence of desire for threesomes for example.

says he will abandon interest for the sake of an existing wife, is it reasonable for her to expect that he will not be interested going forward?

He may be able to kill the desire and put it out of his mind, but it is still in his nature. But will he abandon the hope/goal/pursuit? That depends on the strength of character of the man.

It's kind of a catch 22. If he is strong then yes. But if he was strong than in most cases his woman will bend to his will so it would only be temporary. But if he was strong he'd know it's temporary and wouldn't make a disavowal. There are exceptions, esp. if this whole concept is new to him.

So my question is, regardless of the reason and rationale for the desire for polygyny (Biblical, needing more love/support, etc), when a man desires more than one wife is he ever likely to change?

I believe if a man desires more than one wife, he will likely always want more, but may never act on those desires. I'll get more into that in a bit.
No, it's not reasonable. All men are somewhat interested in having more than one woman. It's in a man's nature.
In We Want For Our Sisters What We Want For Ourselves the depiction tends to be more that this is an innate desire and immutable characteristic harnessed for the glory of God. But that book focuses on African American culture. I’m wondering if it’s more broadly true across cultures?
I think in my experience and speaking to men, that yes it's a broadly applicable characteristic of mankind. Women even if they say they're not hypergamous are innately drawn that direction. Men, even if they say they're strictly monogamous are polygynous by nature. A nice figure sauntering past in a tiered skirt and tank top (or whatever is his particular flavor) is always going to draw the eye. He will always be drawn by animalistic desire to conquer another. He may stifle those drives, or he may be so messed up hormonally that he's effectively neutered, or he may have such self mastery as to constrain his thoughts and actions to remain monogamous. But I contend that there will always be an internal pressure.

There is a duality at play, there's the more childish, passion, lust, animalistic sexual drive of having more that I think all healthy men will always have. But there's also the mature agape love that a man has in wanting to see a woman protected and cared for. If he already has one wife and children, he will prioritize the safety and protection of the first over a possible second if he's wise. And most men just simply aren't capable of juggling the needs and concerns of multiple women. There's a TREMENDOUS amount of complexity to navigate, and while I'm confident in my ability to do so, I still find myself hesitant to push my own limits in that regard. I think I know how much work it's going to take. But I know my depth of knowledge and understanding is the same as when my first child was as yet unborn. I knew how much work it was going to take, but my knowledge was limited and after walking through it learned how little I really knew. It's this understanding that gives me pause and forces me to be very careful in consideration of prospective women. (Dunning-Kruger)

I've personally passed on numerous women looking to by my second. I've had fathers ask to betroth their daughters to me. I have options, but like others have said, there's a price to be paid. That's why I still have one wife. I would definitely benefit were I to take another wife, my income would likely double just having help writing books and managing clients and helping with accounting.

So while I can see the benefits, and can understand the positives, and I have opportunities to make that change a reality in my life. I still haven't pulled the trigger so to speak. Because it's a complicated matter and it's serious stuff!

So yes, I think men will always desire polygyny once they realize that it's acceptable before God. But only the fools/naïve and truly exceptional men will ever pursue it. And if a man's not led his first wife well enough to have her submission and support in the matter, he has rock solid proof that he is not in that "exceptional" category and should not pursue adding another. A wise man will ensure he will not destroy the house when building an addition onto it.

His first wife should trust him enough that even if she has fear and trepidation about the difficulties, that she will say "Not my will but yours, I will follow you wherever you bring me."

I think this is true in some instances, however, women are not all equally marriage material. A man may truly want a second wife, but if he concludes that the woman he has been interested in is not worth the fallout, he will pull back. Men risk a lot in marriage and if a woman wants to be a good man’s second woman, she would do well to show him that she is worth what he will lose. For instance, is he going to take you for his wife and in the process lose friendships, family relationships, and business opportunities only to have you walk away in the end... possibly with one or more of his children? Can he trust you to stand with him through thick and thin and does he have any evidence that you are that kind of woman? If you want him, show him you’re the woman for him. If you have truly shown him your trustworthiness and he pulls back then maybe he isn’t truly ready for another woman.

I think this is true in some instances, however, women are not all equally marriage material. A man may truly want a second wife, but if he concludes that the woman he has been interested in is not worth the fallout, he will pull back. Men risk a lot in marriage and if a woman wants to be a good man’s second woman, she would do well to show him that she is worth what he will lose. For instance, is he going to take you for his wife and in the process lose friendships, family relationships, and business opportunities only to have you walk away in the end... possibly with one or more of his children? Can he trust you to stand with him through thick and thin and does he have any evidence that you are that kind of woman? If you want him, show him you’re the woman for him. If you have truly shown him your trustworthiness and he pulls back then maybe he isn’t truly ready for another woman.
Excellent! I agree 100%

The most important step in taking a second wife is keeping the first one. If he received an ultimatum from his first wife that there was no way he was going to get both of you then he has to make a choice. It’s not right or fair, if there was a sexual relationship is actually sinful for him to abandon you. But a lot of men have been faced with it. I’m sorry that you ended up bulldozed under.

I’m o actually answer your question though, no. He’ll never lose the desire.

If he has studied the scriptures and come to a solid conclusion about marriage, and truly believes that it is blessed by God, then no, I don't think he will completely abandon those ambitions. He may stifle them for a while, but they will likely always be there. A little real talk. Men like women. Men like to look at women. Men like to envision being with women. And yes, men love to take care of women, provide for women, and help women. Christian men stifle these things because they have been taught that it's wrong to look at or desire another woman who is not their wife. If they truly come to the understanding that polygyny is good, then these thoughts will probably never go away. He may suppress them, because he may feel he will lose his current wife, or may lose friendships and family, but I don't think they will ever truly depart from his head.

I was discussing with a friend how people have things in their nature that will not change, even if the person tries to change for someone else.

An example is my mother did not like coffee her entire life, although everyone else in the family drank it.

I have also had experiences where friends have told me about a man “He says he will change for me” and of course he doesn’t, and we all reasonably knew he wouldn’t.

Not looking for judgement on anyone, but curious if this is a somewhat immutable part of a person’s nature?
From my live experience. Anything can change. In my life I have almost died 3 times, been unable to run unable to hold conversations and unable to hold a intelligent conversation. Now with great happiness God keeps working in my life. I am able to run, I am able to hold a conversation. God keeps healing me.

I love God he can do anything. He is God. A train of thought can do two things one bring you closer to God or two further away

Modern psychology publications say that men fall in love quicker than women, and fall harder. They're more sure of what they want compared to women. The evidence of what you'd call a "simp". This phenomenon isn't limited by number. I think it is proof of the capacity of men to love more than one woman, and more than sexual gratification, their desire to take care of and tend to more than one woman. Also the hero complex they take on, in wanting to protect a woman. It all doesn't go away when one woman is obtained.

Leave a married man in a work environment with a woman he is attracted to, he will either avoid her like the plague(showing his desire) or slowly gravitate towards her with time. She just has to sit in the same room with him and act normal, really. Imagine a modern day David in the same workplace with a modern day Bathsheba. Do you think having a wife already will stop what develops internally? It happens time and time again. For most they just learn to deal with it and let it pass, if possible. Forget about it if she likes him as well and makes it obvious to him. And this is where his dilemma occurs. He'd like to have the new woman along with his current woman, but society has forced him to have one, so now he must decide on what to do--reluctantly refuse, affair, or abandon. Learning about polygyny can be like shaking a soda can and opening it up, for a man. All of this excess energy is now allowed to free roam, and can be dangerous if not grounded. He has to settle down first, and change his mindset in order to deal with this new information.

The truth may help him feel more free and comfortable, take some stress off of his shoulders when he is around women. But the man that learns that he can take another wife, sees the need for another wife, and bows to his wife's ultimatum is only fooling himself and hurting her more in the long run.

Last edited:

You are not able to change a mans perspective. Only God can truly change a mans perspective. Are you ready fully to be a wife. I would say no by everything you have said.

Last edited:
You are not able to change a mans perspective. Only God can truly change a mans perspective. Are you ready fully to be a wife. I would say no by everything you have said.
Whoah!
1). She didn’t ask about being able to change a man’s perspective. She merely asked if he would change.
2). Yah doesn’t change anyone’s perspective, He does provide circumstances that cause them to make choices, though.
3). You are out of line judging her in the way that you have. I don’t even see any evidence to support your conclusion.

Modern psychology publications say that men fall in love quicker than women, and fall harder. They're more sure of what they want compared to women. The evidence of what you'd call a "simp". This phenomenon isn't limited by number. I think it is proof of the capacity of men to love more than one woman, and more than sexual gratification, their desire to take care of and tend to more than one woman. Also the hero complex they take on, in wanting to protect a woman. It all doesn't go away when one woman is obtained.

Leave a married man in a work environment with a woman he is attracted to, he will either avoid her like the plague(showing his desire) or slowly gravitate towards her with time. She just has to sit in the same room with him and act normal, really. Imagine a modern day David in the same workplace with a modern day Bathsheba. Do you think having a wife already will stop what develops internally? It happens time and time again. For most they just learn to deal with it and let it pass, if possible. Forget about it if she likes him as well and makes it obvious to him. And this is where his dilemma occurs. He'd like to have the new woman along with his current woman, but society has forced him to have one, so now he must decide on what to do--reluctantly refuse, affair, or abandon. Learning about polygyny can be like shaking a soda can and opening it up, for a man. All of this excess energy is now allowed to free roam, and can be dangerous if not grounded. He has to settle down first, and change his mindset in order to deal with this new information.

The truth may help him feel more free and comfortable, take some stress off of his shoulders when he is around women. But the man that learns that he can take another wife, sees the need for another wife, and bows to his wife's ultimatum is only fooling himself and hurting her more in the long run.
Great observation. Although, "simp" is a term that only exists thanks to the liberated female trait of hypergamy that @NickF mentioned.

when a man desires more than one wife is he ever likely to change?

As others have pointed out, it is the male nature to desire to possess women. This was put in him by design to portray an image of God. It is the Spirit of God that compels him to actually love them as well while his nature compels him to "fall in love with" (so called love) them. Also as others have pointed out, only environment causes him to not recognize or to deny his nature. The typical Western man is raised to believe it is sin. That's his beginning environment and in that condition doesn't recognize his own nature. As @rockfox mentioned, fantasy threesomes will be the closest most come to realizing that hidden nature. If his eyes become opened later in life, he will be like one of the soils described in the parable of the sower (Matthew 13). Reasons given there for denying the truth apply. I don't think that, once our eyes are opened, they can ever be shut. If we try to close them, the best we can do is live in denial from that point onward. So, does he change? Well, his nature doesn't, and his knowledge doesn't, but his decisions do.

Although, "simp" is a term that only exists thanks to the liberated female trait of hypergamy that @NickF mentioned.
Maybe that’s the only reason that it exists, do you have a better word for a guy that acts like a little puppy trying to be accepted by a female?

Back