• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Giving your daughter in marriage...

Absolutely no idea. Is there a larger clip from the movie/show that this is from?
Language alert, but their confidence in their G_d in the movie is actually very much an example to us in living our lives.

I’ve been thinking about the question. I have five daughters. 3 of them need time to solidify their marriages. So I don’t want them thinking about adding a second until they are stabilized more. Maybe five years. Then, it’s up to them as couples to decide.

One? She would make a good second wife. First wife as well, but she is waiting and the longer she waits, the more the crop gets thinned out. As a second or third, she could still find a good man.

The fifth? Not ready for marriage. I’ll leave it there.

So my thoughts are yes, but not in all cases. Not at this time.

One? She would make a good second wife. First wife as well, but she is waiting and the longer she waits, the more the crop gets thinned out. As a second or third, she could still find a good man.
I have a super talented and beautiful cousin who is sweet as can be and in that boat. She is in her 30's now and has turned down at least one marriage proposal from a married man.
My hubby thinks it's a shame she's still single, not literally a shame, but rather just sad that she doesn't yet have a hubby or children.
If he thought he stood a chance he might broach the subject. Losing face is not fun though.

Women seem to have a hard time figuring out time is not on their side. If they didn't, they'd all be clamoring to get hitched by 21.

It seems most won't even consider it until 30 is practically upon them.
Yes, this is sad. I’m not sure what they are thinking. Would be nice to have a second wife and build a strong, healthy , homesteading family even faster but few seem to want to step up to the plate. A lot of idle hands.

Sole issue! If that's the only problem... then I have the opposite of a problem!

I'm a right bastard myself that takes issue with Laban being cast in an unfavorable light...
Your posts always make me smile Slumber but I don't understand the comment that you take issue with Laban being cast in an unfavorable light.
Laban was an idolater and a deal-breaker right? He tricked Jacob by not honoring the bridal agreement.
God Himself had to show up in a dream just to keep the guy from physically harming his defrauded son-in-law. He even has the audacity to state that all of Jacob's children are actually his, Laban's and even his own daughters testify against him.

My perspective is that if I call Laban wicked, I'll have to do the same to Abraham and Jacob.

Laban was an idolater for sure, but so was Abraham until God specifically told him not to be.
Laban tricked Jacob into marrying the wrong daughter, Jacob took advantage of Esau's hunger for his birthright and then tricked his own father to get the blessing right along with it.
His daughters did testify against him, then again one of them totally stole the household idols and lied about it.

Nothing Laban did stands out to me as particularly wicked in comparison to the rest of his extended family that became the patriarchs. Their whole set seemed to be curiously amoral opportunists.

My perspective is that if I call Laban wicked, I'll have to do the same to Abraham and Jacob.

Laban was an idolater for sure, but so was Abraham until God specifically told him not to be.
Laban tricked Jacob into marrying the wrong daughter, Jacob took advantage of Esau's hunger for his birthright and then tricked his own father to get the blessing right along with it.
His daughters did testify against him, then again one of them totally stole the household idols and lied about it.

Nothing Laban did stands out to me as particularly wicked in comparison to the rest of his extended family that became the patriarchs. Their whole set seemed to be curiously amoral opportunists.

And there is more. In my mind every single person in the Bible is a failure accept one. Should put us in our place.

Wait.... what....
“For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;”
‭‭Romans‬ ‭3:23‬ ‭KJV‬‬
I’m so thankful I Have a Savior because I am pretty crappy and this is a good reminder.

So moral relativism?
Someone like Laban who never repented (that the bible speaks of) is the same and unjudge-able for teaching bible lessons etc. since ... the "good guys" have sinned but repented?

So how far can we take this? By this reasoning Jezebel is a fine lasse as was Ahab because we can't draw a line between the repentant and those who revel in their wickedness.
You're a clever guy slumber so I think I'm missing something in what you are trying to convey. I know you wouldn't write something so boring as "we all sinned so we can't label the Judas Iscarriots of the bible as wicked..." Though I kind of get the inkling that Cap and some of the others are gonna be just fine labeling Judas as wicked... just a hunch.

And there is more. In my mind every single person in the Bible is a failure accept one. Should put us in our place.
sorry Cap it's a boring cliche. So in your mind Enoch who was snatched up by G-d and Elijah are on an equal footing with Laban the unrepentant idolater?
There are many in the bible who reformed there lives and lived better. Nobody knows what Abraham was before he left his country.
Our tradition has many stories about this but of course nobody knows. What we do know is there was some quality different about him than those around him.
He was called out, they weren't.

sorry Cap it's a boring cliche. So in your mind Enoch who was snatched up by G-d and Elijah are on an equal footing with Laban the unrepentant idolater?
There are many in the bible who reformed there lives and lived better. Nobody knows what Abraham was before he left his country.
Our tradition has many stories about this but of course nobody knows. What we do know is there was some quality different about him than those around him.
He was called out, they weren't.

We all make it to heaven by faith, nothing else. Some have a harder time than others, but in the end it's the only way. Including Enoch, and Abraham.

Oh and by the way, Elijah ended up being afraid of a woman and had to pass his anointing on to someone else who had more faith, but he did make it and is an example for us all who are failures.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh and by the way, Elijah ended up being afraid of a woman and had to pass his anointing on to someone else who had more faith, but he did make it and is an example for us all who are failures.
Huh?

Is this why Malachi 4 tells us to 'Remember the Torah of Moses, even the ordinaces and statues, before the great and terrible day of the Lord. For behold, I will send you Elijah the prophet and he will turn the hearts of the fathers..children..father...' (paraphrased from memory...)

Huh?

Is this why Malachi 4 tells us to 'Remember the Torah of Moses, even the ordinaces and statues, before the great and terrible day of the Lord. For behold, I will send you Elijah the prophet and he will turn the hearts of the fathers..children..father...' (paraphrased from memory...)

As with Moses and Joshua, Elijah and Elisha, Adam and Christ, there is a higher purpose to the old covenant representations.

If you wanted an anointing from God, which would you ask for, Elijah's or Elisha's?

Remember, I'm part of the Israel bride, we see things different. :)

Women seem to have a hard time figuring out time is not on their side. If they didn't, they'd all be clamoring to get hitched by 21.

It seems most won't even consider it until 30 is practically upon them.
My wife knew she wanted to be married by 21... lucky for her, I met her when she was 20 and married her 3 days before her 21st birthday :rolleyes:

Oh and by the way, Elijah ended up being afraid of a woman and had to pass his anointing on to someone else who had more faith,
It’s really weird how you would presume to denigrate someone who lived a life that far surpassed anything that we could ever dream of and was taken away in a fiery chariot.

It’s really weird how you would presume to denigrate someone who lived a life that far surpassed anything that we could ever dream of and was taken away in a fiery chariot.

Maybe weird to you but it only makes me realize how low I really am in this persuit. I actually think he is big enough to handle my misunderstandings about what he had to endure.

But when I get see him I'll apologise to him.

My wife knew she wanted to be married by 21... lucky for her, I met her when she was 20 and married her 3 days before her 21st birthday :rolleyes:

Not very common anymore but there was a time when parents raised their children with the expectation of young marriage. And we were all better off for it.

Back