• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Bad Marriage Sayings

Yeah, but this thread is not about husbands who say stupid things. It is about stupid things said which basically reinforce the notion that the wife is the real head of the home. That is why they are called "sayings", because they are perceived by the general populace, to be wise advice, when in reality, those sayings themselves, are just bad!

Last edited:
A bad marriage saying....
Wife; "I've lost weight."
Husband, (pointing to her butt); "I found it, there it is!" :eek::eek:
This is hilarious!!good one! I think it’s great if you can joke around with your spouse like that.

Yeah, but this thread is not about husbands who say stupid things. It is about stupid things said which basically reinforce the notion that the wife is the real head of the home. That is why they are called "sayings", because they are perceived by the general populace, to be wise advice, when in reality, those sayings themselves, are just bad!
Its about Bad Marriage Sayings. Men are part of marriage just like women last I checked.

And his joke wasn’t bad per se, but it was definitely the equivalent of smashing your thumb while you’re trying to build a house. Its gonna impede progress for a while.

I'm not saying it's a bad joke. I am saying it is not in the vein of where this thread has been.

Not to my knowledge. Sounds like a great thread. Should probably start with “forsaking all others”
I wasn't thinking of that particular one, but it is nonetheless true! That saying works here as well, even though it doesn't make her the de-facto head. I was more in line with thinking of not smart things to say as a put-down sort of vein.

Anything that you say as a put-down qualifies as not smart. ;)
Yup! But it can be funny, depending on the self-esteem of the wife. Now "Forsaking all others" is not smart, but it doesn't qualify as a put-down. That is the point I am trying to differentiate. Like pointing to her butt and saying, "I found it", is not funny at all to a wife that is conscientious of her weight, but other wives might have fun with it.

Great video @windblown.

"I do not want to see the Revolting Man in a frilly apron vacuuming or doing the dishes."

You are right, the whole choreplay thing is bad marital advice.
I think it started on one of those Oprah shows back in the 90s, when she started introducing Dr Phil to her audience. I'm not sure it was him, but someone came on the show and said that the men who boasted about not having to do chores, were later complaining about not getting any sex.

I think it started on one of those Oprah shows back in the 90s, when she started introducing Dr Phil to her audience. I'm not sure it was him, but someone came on the show and said that the men who boasted about not having to do chores, were later complaining about not getting any sex.

Didn't know that. I just know it's become standard advice from pastors and radio Christian marriage guru's. It sounds plausible, esp. if your wife works, but even there it is bad advice. It's a sad commentary on Christian men that they fall for it.

Men doing masculine chores (chopping wood, fixing cars, building things, etc) = attractive
Men doing feminine chores (housecleaning, laundry, etc) = not attractive

Or to dial it in a little more....putting a frilly apron around your fat ass and doing the dishes won't make her feel more amorous. But leaving them all to her while you go to pump iron will. When she's gone soft feeling up your guns it won't matter to her that you spent 6 fewer hours a week 'emotionally bonding' and 'warming' her up.

I've had people say that to me about Samuel. I'll say I've got 7 kids, and they'll say it's 8 with Samuel. No, no, no, it's not. I have 7 children and a very helpful and wonderful husband who is not like a child at all.

Good for you, Sarah. I really appreciate this.

Back