• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

My YouTube Channel "DreamPolly"

Does “homely” mean something different in NZ? Here, homely means unattractive or ugly. Yes there are other meanings but in the US that’s the one we think of when it’s used like that.
Really? Had to check the dictionary on that one

Collins Dictionary https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/homely
British: If you describe someone, especially a woman, as homely, you mean that they have a warm, comforting manner and look like someone who would enjoy being at home and having a family.
American: If you say that someone is homely, you mean that they are not very attractive to look at.

It looks like in British culture home is seen as a good place, so homely imparts positive connotations, and in American culture home is seen as a bad place, so homely imparts negative connotations. That's weird.

It looks like in British culture home is seen as a good place, so homely imparts positive connotations, and in American culture home is seen as a bad place, so homely imparts negative connotations. That's weird.

Imagine a British man telling an American woman that she looks "Homely". *laughing crying emoji*

Imagine a British man telling an American woman that she looks "Homely". *laughing crying emoji*
You nailed it on the head, Emily!

Samuel, you're stretching your anti-Americanism a little far with that one, aren't you? What is the Collins Dictionary, anyway?

But you did make me laugh, both of you.

I know the British Empire is our legacy, but it looks these days like New Zealand and California are in direct competition to see who can be first in the lemmings contest.

We love our homes in America; we just don't want our women to look like them.

Samuel, you're stretching your anti-Americanism a little far with that one, aren't you? What is the Collins Dictionary, anyway?

The Collins Dictionary is one of the major British dictionaries (Oxford being the other), and the most common one used in schools. It's currently the best British dictionary available online.

I am not being anti-American at all. I am trying to understand the etymology of a word. The best explanation I can come up is that American culture had moved to glorifying employment over homemaking, and secular media has presented worldly women as more attractive than housewives, and this has flowed into the language. I summarised that thought in a few words. I could be wrong and would welcome any better explanation.

The Collins Dictionary is one of the major British dictionaries (Oxford being the other), and the most common one used in schools. It's currently the best British dictionary available online.

I believe the transition most likely occurred in a similar manner to the phrase “she has a great personality” when responding to the question, “is she attractive”. It’s not that anyone dislikes a great personality it’s that an honest answer to the question of her physical attractiveness is being avoided. When it had been used enough it becomes cliché and the word or phrase takes on a new meaning. Like wise homely used to be a compliment, but it may have been used so often the way “she has a great personality” has been that the meaning became a negative.

There is an L of a difference between homely and homey

I believe the transition most likely occurred in a similar manner to the phrase “she has a great personality” when responding to the question, “is she attractive”. It’s not that anyone dislikes a great personality it’s that an honest answer to the question of her physical attractiveness is being avoided. When it had been used enough it becomes cliché and the word or phrase takes on a new meaning. Like wise homely used to be a compliment, but it may have been used so often the way “she has a great personality” has been that the meaning became a negative.
I'm only 67, but to call a woman homely has been a cut my entire life, and that predates feminism gaining a foothold, so this has nothing to do with negative views of the home -- and if that were the history of the etymology 'homely' most certainly would have become a pejorative in the British Isles by now as well. I still think it reflects a bias that you came up with that. It would be just as accurate to posit that it's a compliment in the former British Empire because Brits like their women to be ugly.

Here from etymonline.com, and note toward the end that there are associations with looking like a corpse:

homely (adj.)
late 14c., "of or belonging to home or household, domestic," from Middle English hom "home" (see home (n.)) + -ly (1). Sense of "plain, unadorned, simple" (as domestic scenes often were) is late 14c., and extension to "having a plain appearance, without particular beauty of features, crude" took place c. 1400, but survived chiefly in U.S., especially in New England, where it was the usual term for "physically unattractive;" ugly meaning typically "ill-tempered." In the old sense of "domestic, of or pertaining to domestic life," homish (1560s) and homelike (1789) have been used.

Entries linking to homely
home (n.)

Old English ham "dwelling place, house, abode, fixed residence; estate; village; region, country," from Proto-Germanic *haimaz "home" (source also of Old Frisian hem "home, village," Old Norse heimr "residence, world," heima "home," Danish hjem, Middle Dutch heem, German heim "home," Gothic haims "village"), from PIE *(t)koimo-, suffixed form of root *tkei- "to settle, dwell, be home." As an adjective from 1550s. The old Germanic sense of "village" is preserved in place names and in hamlet.

'Home' in the full range and feeling of [Modern English] home is a conception that belongs distinctively to the word home and some of its Gmc. cognates and is not covered by any single word in most of the IE languages. [Buck]
Slang phrase make (oneself) at home "become comfortable in a place one does not live" dates from 1892 (at home "at one's ease" is from 1510s). To keep the home fires burning is a song title from 1914. To be nothing to write home about "unremarkable" is from 1907. Home movie is from 1919; home computer is from 1967. Home stretch (1841) is from horse racing (see stretch (n.)). Home economics as a school course first attested 1899; the phrase itself by 1879 (as "household management" is the original literal sense of economy, the phrase is etymologically redundant).

Home as the goal in a sport or game is from 1778. Home base in baseball attested by 1856; home plate by 1867. Home team in sports is from 1869; home field "grounds belonging to the local team" is from 1802 (the 1800 citation in OED 2nd ed. print is a date typo, as it refers to baseball in Spokane Falls). Home-field advantage attested from 1955.

-ly (1)

suffix forming adjectives from nouns and meaning "having qualities of, of the form or nature of" (manly, lordly), "appropriate to, fitting, suited to" (bodily, earthly, daily); irregularly descended from Old English -lic, from Proto-Germanic *-liko- (Old Frisian -lik, Dutch -lijk, Old High German -lih, German -lich, Old Norse -ligr), related to *likom- "appearance, form" (Old English lich "corpse, body;" see lich, which is a cognate; see also like (adj.), with which it is identical).

Thankyou @Keith Martin, most technically informative post so far.
I still think it reflects a bias that you came up with that.
Keep thinking that if you must, it's not the first time you've jumped to that conclusion and I can't seem to persuade you otherwise.

But anyway, if anyone knows a nice lady who is homely by the British definition of the word, tell her to contact me! I can also cope with her being homely in the American sense provided she's a good cook.

There is an L of a difference between homely and homey
Interesting. Looks like the British word "homely" just dropped an l when it went to America - because your "homey" means exactly the same as "homely" does over here. And then the old word "homely" was repurposed as an insult - probably as @Asforme&myhouse hypothesised.
From thefreedictionary.com:

homey
comfortably informal; cozy; homelike; warm and friendly: a homey cottage
Not to be confused with:
homely – plain; unattractive

hom·ey 2
(hō′mē)
n. Slang
Variant of homie.

homie
hō′mē
noun
  1. A homeboy or homegirl.
  2. A friend; somebody one often hangs out with.

Last edited:
Keep thinking that if you must, it's not the first time you've jumped to that conclusion and I can't seem to persuade you otherwise.

I humbly withdraw my assertion of your bias and promise to do my best to recognize your consistent acknowledgment that the U.S. is far superior to the British Empire (I own my bias).

But anyway, if anyone knows a nice lady who is homely by the British definition of the word, tell her to contact me! I can also cope with her being homely in the American sense provided she's a good cook.

Hillary is on her way. She is famous for not being able to even bake cookies, but she comes complete with woke Secret Service members who will cook for her and the rest of you. She is eager to return to the land of her namesake, Sir Edmund.

Wow! It's already been a month since I last uploaded a video! Although it feels like is has been longer that, to be honest.
Unfortunately my new computer still hasn't been built yet, so I can't make a video.

I have been writing different stories lately, and I feel like making a Three's Not A Crowd skit. I might write it depending on if I figure out what things should happen in it. Might be about a simple snowy day or something else.
If I do write it and finish it, I will send a link to my story.

Turns out I won't able to write it. I just can't think of anything. However, I made a new polygny trio...
(Sorry that the picture is so big)

trio.jpeg

This is an idea for the future:

Arabella (purple hair) and Rosie (pink hair) are step-sisters who are married to the same man named Marlin.

Arabella is serious and clam, Rosie is cheerful and hyper, and Marlin acts like a good leader.

They all get along and work together like a team.

When I start making videos again, I'll make this whenever I need a break from Three's Not A Crowd. And I might write a skit for them.

Any ideas of what I should name the show?

How about "1+1+1=1?"

Turns out I won't able to write it. I just can't think of anything. However, I made a new polygny trio...
(Sorry that the picture is so big)

View attachment 2743

This is an idea for the future:

Arabella (purple hair) and Rosie (pink hair) are step-sisters who are married to the same man named Marlin.

Arabella is serious and clam, Rosie is cheerful and hyper, and Marlin acts like a good leader.

They all get along and work together like a team.

When I start making videos again, I'll make this whenever I need a break from Three's Not A Crowd. And I might write a skit for them.

Any ideas of what I should name the show?

Are you out on the youtube competitor sites? Don't think your content will be on the wrong think radar soon but things are certainly moving that way. Plus more platforms means more exposure in the long term.

Are you out on the youtube competitor sites? Don't think your content will be on the wrong think radar soon but things are certainly moving that way. Plus more platforms means more exposure in the long term.

My dad wants me to put my channel on other video platforms someday and get off YouTube. I just don't know when we will do that.

Sorry If I misunderstood your question.

Last edited:
Back