• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

New member here

One of the issues polygyny addresses and solves is the number of single Christian women who have been prevented by the monogamy-only doctrine from finding a godly husband. The problems monogamy-only have created are serious and the consequences tragic - especially when coupled to rampant divorce in western religious culture.
The error of "monogamy only" does cause A LOT of problems.

One could argue that it helps create the social conditions where the evil of Marxism flourishes. Single women vote for the state to be their husband (and take our money to do it).

Last edited:
Hi there. I just joined the forum today and wanted to introduce myself. My wife and I have been married for 31 years with 3 grown children. We are born again Bible believing Christians that are members of a Baptist Church and have been involved in various ministries for years. The reason I joined this forum is to explore further what the Bible says about marriage. Of course in our denomination it has always been said to us that God's plan is one man, one woman for life, and we always believed that for ourselves. What is usually preached is that although God may have tolerated multiple wives in the past, it isn't his best plan and not something to be pursued.

Well in my own personal Bible reading and quiet time, I kept coming over passaged about Bible characters that have more than one wife. So I decided to do a study on whether this was actually something that God approved or was wrong. What I kept finding was that it seemed to be approved of God. I kept finding scriptures such as ones about Joash and David where God gave them more than one wife. So then the next question naturally was, if God gave someone something, how can it be sin? I also read such passages in Exodus with specific instructions for caring about more than one wife. I couldn't wrap my head around how something could be a sin, yet God call these men wise and blessed. So I looked further into New Testament scripture and it still was not clear to me. I searched online for reading materials and came across this site and began reading the articles and reading the forum.

Finally, I very cautiously approached my wife with this information. She naturally was very hesitant, and quite honestly hurt that I brought it up initially. But we agreed to study out this information and both came to the conclusion that it is not wrong. We also agreed to pray about this and see if God would lead us anywhere with this information. So that is where we are at. In preliminary prayer and seeking direction, if any is needed. Do you have any advice for us? Oh and I am glad to join y'all and we live in Texas. God bless.

James
I am sometimes Baptist, went to Baptist college and also to Assemblies of God College, so I can argue either position.

Welcome!

What is usually preached is that although God may have tolerated multiple wives in the past, it isn't his best plan and not something to be pursued.

This is one of those things that sounds good and convincing but curiously lacks a Book Chapter Verse which actually says it. Keep up on your journey of Bible study and basing your faith on the scriptures themselves!

Welcome!

This is one of those things that sounds good and convincing but curiously lacks a Book Chapter Verse which actually says it. Keep up on your journey of Bible study and basing your faith on the scriptures themselves!
I go by the Bible. If there isn't a clear Biblical command or clear Biblical principle from scripture, then please don't tell me it's commanded. At that point you would have individual liberty to decide for yourself. I'm a Baptist, but baptists, particularly very conservative ones are notorious for making extra biblical rules on personal conduct.

I am sometimes Baptist, went to Baptist college and also to Assemblies of God College, so I can argue either position.
I went to a baptist school many years ago. I sent one of my kids to an independent baptist college and another one to a southern baptist college. Another one went into the military.

Shalom and welcome.

I went to a baptist school many years ago. I sent one of my kids to an independent baptist college and another one to a southern baptist college. Another one went into the military.
You certainly followed the Baptist pattern! I did almost exactly the same!

Welcome fellow Texan. Your story follows a very common pattern, if you approach the scriptures logically and remove your cultural or denominational presuppositions about marriage, the conclusion you came to is the result. It is the only conclusion that can be argued without fallacies, reading between the lines, adding to the text or taking away from it, etc. It is simply impossible to teach monogamy-only as G-d's law from scripture alone.

I get a little heated now when I hear folks claim G-d simply turned a blind eye to "sin", rampant, flagrant, repeated, unrepentant sin (in their mind) over the course of lifetimes of these men and women... From both a logical perspective as that makes zero sense, and a spiritual one as it is speaking lowly of profanes the name of G-d by making Him inconsistent, unrighteous, unjust, among other things.

Jacob physically wrestles with G-d, Abraham walks with Him, Moses speaks with Him face to face, but we are to believe He was just too pre-occupied with so many other sinful behaviors that He just allowed one as big as distorting marriage itself to slide by for thousands of years? Doesn't check out for me.

Last edited:
Welcome fellow Texan. Your story follows a very common pattern, if you approach the scriptures logically and remove your cultural or denominational presuppositions about marriage, the conclusion you came to is the result. It is the only conclusion that can be argued without fallacies, reading between the lines, adding to the text or taking away from it, etc. It is simply impossible to teach monogamy-only as G-d's law from scripture alone.

I get a little heated now when I hear folks claim G-d simply turned a blind eye to "sin", rampant, flagrant, repeated, unrepentant sin (in their mind) over the course of lifetimes of these men and women... From both a logical perspective as that makes zero sense, and a spiritual one as it is speaking lowly of G-d and His righteousness and consistency.

Jacob physically wrestles with G-d, Abraham walks with Him, Moses speaks with Him face to face, but we are to believe He was just too pre-occupied with so many other sinful behaviors that He just allowed one as big as distorting marriage itself to slide by for thousands of years? Doesn't check out for me.
I just can’t understand how something can be right and good at one point in time. can then somehow become a sin. That would go against the nature of God. That’s what we’re essentially told to believe. Even though in other things we’re told at preached at that his moral laws are unchanging.

I get a little heated now when I hear folks claim G-d simply turned a blind eye to "sin", rampant, flagrant, repeated, unrepentant sin (in their mind) over the course of lifetimes of these men and women... From both a logical perspective as that makes zero sense, and a spiritual one as it is speaking lowly of G-d and His righteousness and consistency.

You are right. That argument is nonsense.

Back