• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Bad Marriage Sayings

I submit Job 31:1 as another interesting verse.

"I made a covenant with my eyes; why then should I think upon a maiden?"

I have a thought, yo. I was careful not to kiss my Rainy until after we were engaged. My thinking was I had no desire to put my lips on someone who might still end up with another man. Why should I waste my kisses?
I think that Job had a similar idea perhaps except with his eyes. If what you do with your eyes and heart are the same thing, what earthly good does it do to oogle girls who are not yours? I might possibly have eyeballed half the girls in my school growing up, and none of them were who the Lord gave me.

Food for thought.

inb4 eyeballing is how you find girls in the first place.

Looker : Is your daughter betrothed?
Father : Why do you wanna know?
Looker : Well, I was kinda wanting to make sure it was ok to eyeball her for a while . . . . .

I think you just gave voice to what people expect when they hear about a poly retreat. Thank goodness in actuality the ones I've been to have not been like that at all. If anyone knows different don't tell me. It's hard enough to get me to leave the house to be social as is....

The one I went to, was not either, Don't know if I saw you there or not; can't remember everyone I saw. The young maidens that were there, were for the most part, too young to consider. Seven Brides for Seven Brothers "Sabine women" comes to mind, LOL.

To be clear, not intended to be a reference to taking the ones that come to the retreat that are too young, but rather scurrying about the nearby village, Oh never mind!

Last edited:
I submit Job 31:1 as another interesting verse.

"I made a covenant with my eyes; why then should I think upon a maiden?"

I have a thought, yo. I was careful not to kiss my Rainy until after we were engaged. My thinking was I had no desire to put my lips on someone who might still end up with another man. Why should I waste my kisses?
I think that Job had a similar idea perhaps except with his eyes. If what you do with your eyes and heart are the same thing, what earthly good does it do to oogle girls who are not yours? I might possibly have eyeballed half the girls in my school growing up, and none of them were who the Lord gave me.

Food for thought.

inb4 eyeballing is how you find girls in the first place.
You also have to take into consideration Gen 20:6, where God acknowledged the integrity that was in the heart of Abimelech, King of Gerar. He didn't know that Sarah had a husband, and likewise, you don't know that the woman that you are eyeballing, has a future husband, besides yourself.

I just don't worry about it too much. If I know or think that it is likely that she already has a husband, or is engaged to be married, I don't look at her at all. If I want a verse that talks about having pure thoughts, I look in Phil 4. Having impure thoughts, isn't sin per se, but it can certainly lead to sin. If you have had some, don't beat yourself up over it, but be aware that there are good reasons for not doing so.

Last edited:
I was careful not to kiss my Rainy until after we were engaged. My thinking was I had no desire to put my lips on someone who might still end up with another man. Why should I waste my kisses?

That may have worked for you, but as general advice thats a great way to send a bunch of kids on the road to being single and childless; and maybe even loose their faith.

That may have worked for you, but as general advice thats a great way to send a bunch of kids on the road to being single and childless; and maybe even loose their faith.
Indeed! "I Kissed Dating Goodbye", comes to mind.

I visited a church today. There were several male speakers and every single one made some comment along the lines of their better half or obeying the boss. One was so out of context that it was clear it was arbitrarily inserted to let the audience know he too felt that way about his wife.

I'd previously heard these as common in Christian male speech, but this rose to the level of genuflection. A pseudo-mandatory/customary acknowledgement to the crowd that they too were under the authority of a superior wife.

I heard zero statements about being under the authority of Jesus Christ. :(

I visited a church today. There were several male speakers and every single one made some comment along the lines of their better half or obeying the boss. One was so out of context that it was clear it was arbitrarily inserted to let the audience know he too felt that way about his wife.

I'd previously heard these as common in Christian male speech, but this rose to the level of genuflection. A pseudo-mandatory/customary acknowledgement to the crowd that they too were under the authority of a superior wife.

It's common unfortunately. Even in the churches that claim to teach male headship it is still said as a joke but the underlying problem is its not a joke in most relationships.

Ya it's not like I haven't heard these things said a thousand times before. But the intentionality of it all was surprising. Systemic genuflection. None of these was said jokingly.

And to make matters worse the sermon and handouts made it clear they view the life and marriage of the typical men as dreary, disappointing, unfulfilling, and uninportant while the life of a woman as exciting, impactful, and special. Mere men verses princesses of the most high King kind of thing.

Aye. Keep the young men away from me, I'll speed them along the path of perdition.
Don't worry, there's a sensible balance to be found. I'm glad I didn't go around kissing women when I was young. I've only kissed one, and that's worked out pretty well for me so far.

(casual readers who had assumed I was a polygamist can now wonder why I only kiss one of my wives)

Ya it's not like I haven't heard these things said a thousand times before. But the intentionality of it all was surprising. Systemic genuflection. None of these was said jokingly.

And to make matters worse the sermon and handouts made it clear they view the life and marriage of the typical men as dreary, disappointing, unfulfilling, and uninportant while the life of a woman as exciting, impactful, and special. Mere men verses princesses of the most high King kind of thing.
Pastor Dowell refers to this as "Wife worship". It is so alluring and insidious and seductive, that women fall prey to it, and this notion that a man is really showing his wife how much he loves her, by bowing down and kissing her feet, that they start to expect this from their own husbands, without fully understanding how wrongheaded and unbiblical this is. Husbands OTOH, feel compelled to do so, in an effort to go along with this "Keeping up with the Jones'" mentality.

That is very sad, but not surprising. I have not gone to a church in 15 or more years but I remember the most common take away from meetings was the feeling that I wouldn't have missed anything by staying home. ....I would say "I went to see what I was NOT missing," and that was even before marriage.
My church going relatives would tell me in my teens that I should go because maybe God wanted me to be there for someone else....it isn't about what you get, you should give back kind of thing. We have not guilted our children like that.

The true worship of YHWH is in living your life and treating other people as He has instructed. Meeting houses and rubbing elbows with the self righteous are not necessary for that.

And yet we’re not to forsake the gathering together unto ourselves. The assembly is important.
Which is kind of why I would like to start my own church. That along with some of the stuff we have seen happening in our church, seems to be pushing us in that direction. It has been disappointing for us to see this church that we have been a part of for the past six and a half years, not really growing at all, and it seems like there is no emphasis on Evangelism. One person cannot reach all the lost souls, by themselves. It takes laborers, and our church doesn't really do a good job of training evangelistic minded people.

Which is kind of why I would like to start my own church. That along with some of the stuff we have seen happening in our church, seems to be pushing us in that direction. It has been disappointing for us to see this church that we have been a part of for the past six and a half years, not really growing at all, and it seems like there is no emphasis on Evangelism. One person cannot reach all the lost souls, by themselves. It takes laborers, and our church doesn't really do a good job of training evangelistic minded people.
Starting from scratch can be very hard.

Back