• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Biblical or not

WARNING!!
Nerd alert.. it was meant to be humorous not mathematically accurate. :p Lol

Ok. I fully admit I can be pedantic at times.

But I've also lost count of the number of husbands who've testified their wife limits them to once a month sex, or to sex on his birthday, or the like. I am sensitive to their suffering. So when a guy says, "don't bother with beauty, you're only getting 1 minute of sex a day (or sex once a month)." I tend to suspect the father is not being absurd, but teaching from a place of dejected resignation. Because frankly, that's all too common.

I for one, think it important to marry a girl attractive enough to you to make you want to have sex with her a little more often/longer than that.

One of my concerns with this total de-emphasis of attraction is we're basically setting young men up for unsatisfying sex lives that will lead them into temptation and hand their wives the keys to manipulating them through withholding of sex.

How do you get to know the heart without talking to her? The beauty, an outward attractant, is supposed to start that process. Birds, bees, flowers, trees... God gave even those particular characteristics designed go attract before any interaction takes place.

I'm with @PeteR on this. I feel very strongly that if you vilify attraction itself you are adding to the word.

One of my concerns with this total de-emphasis of attraction is we're basically setting young men up for unsatisfying sex lives that will lead them into temptation and hand their wives the keys to manipulating them through withholding of sex.
All joking aside, some very clear and explicit teaching by parents and in the churches from passages such as 1 Cor. 7:2-5 and Titus 2:4 would be both helpful and remedial to all. Withholding or using sex as a bargaining tool is as much a sin as any other violation of God's commands and should be taught as such. It would help break the cycle of dissatisfaction and frustration permeating many marriages.

All joking aside, some very clear and explicit teaching by parents and in the churches from passages such as 1 Cor. 7:2-5 and Titus 2:4 would be both helpful and remedial to all. Withholding or using sex as a bargaining tool is as much a sin as any other violation of God's commands and should be taught as such. It would help break the cycle of dissatisfaction and frustration permeating many marriages.

Absolutely. But I'm not holding my breathe waiting for the church to do that. The usual teachings in the church on that topic today are almost the very opposite and quite dangerous. Seeing as the power of the Christian feminists grows by the day, those passages being faithfully taught is the last thing I'd expect to see.

The minister we counseled with prior to marriage made this clear to us. It was so strange talking about it with a 70 something year old man I respected the hell out of and had known for some time. It made us squirm, but glad he brought it up.

Back