• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

False Prophets

jim-carrey-dont-say-it.gif

yet that is exactly what FollowingHim is claiming in his response to me. (mind blown)
Or are you saying FollowingHim is ridiculous?
Because you replied to me, Pal.
I replied to you, because you are.
Trying to make a mountain out of a molehill.
What I see is that some can only conceptualize prophecy in the macro, they have no idea that Yah has a rheostat.

Yah talked directly to Cain, but he sure wasn’t a prophet.

Was Joseph ever called a prophet?
Would you like to respond to this?
None of you “We Must Judge……” fellows have touched it so far.

My mouth won yesterday, trying to let my head win today.

Would you like to respond to this?
None of you “We Must Judge……” fellows have touched it so far.
What I see is that some can only conceptualize prophecy in the macro, they have no idea that Yah has a rheostat.

Yah talked directly to Cain, but he sure wasn’t a prophet.

Was Joseph ever called a prophet?
Or this, which was essentially the same question:
@Asforme&myhouse, I have some thoughts on what you just said, but to inform that first could you clarify please, in your opinion:
- Does God speak to people today (at all, outside scripture, any message he conveys to an individual person through any means and for whatever purpose)?
- Is every case of God speaking to people "prophecy"? Or is "prophecy" just a sub-category of the things God says to people?
- If "prophecy" is a sub-category, what defines something as "prophecy"?

I can imagine she might feel stress. Perhaps when she is feeling better we can get an answer to a question that she is not "refusing to" answer. Or maybe you would claim a Christian having dreams 100% from God is nobodies business! Maybe it is a secret revelation meant not for the entire Body of Christ, but only a few?
Regardless, I truly understand how this might be stressful and I hope she is feeling better soon. If you blame me for the stress, I am not sure that is really fair.

But let me remind you of the question put before you. "Context" provided enough evidence (for you) that you would post "Do NOT accuse my wife...", but no information about what the accusation might possibly be? It is not fair to ask you what you believe I am accusing your wife of?

And as for this "little thing" language. I myself have never had a dream that gave me any indication it was 100% from God, but if I did I would not consider it a "little thing." But I think some holy people are getting dreams or whatever 100% from God so frequently that maybe it becomes a "little thing." There are even examples in the Scripture. Some hear from God so frequently that they just seem to accept it as a commonplace thing. Is there another reason you would describe having dreams "100% from God" as a "little thing?"

So there's 2 separate things before you hear. I apologize if I was supposed to put them in separate posts, but I put them in one because they were both motivated by the post of yours I am replying to.
Not every dream from God has to be public prophecy. It can be private encouragement, or disapproval. It can be setting up a later prophecy. It could be any kind of communication. It doesn’t require you to start piling up stones. Her husband is aware of the situation. It’s time for other men to butt the hell out. It’s no longer anyone else’s concern.

And for the record, she didn’t say anything wrong. Holy hell Hannah, the men are off fighting in other threads. Join us there and stop picking on girls.

@Asforme&myhouse, I have some thoughts on what you just said, but to inform that first could you clarify please, in your opinion:
- Does God speak to people today (at all, outside scripture, any message he conveys to an individual person through any means and for whatever purpose)?
- Is every case of God speaking to people "prophecy"? Or is "prophecy" just a sub-category of the things God says to people?
- If "prophecy" is a sub-category, what defines something as "prophecy"?
Can God speak to individuals outside of Scripture today, yes. Does he? I don’t know, because I’ve never seen a modern prophet prophesy in a biblical fashion. I mostly hear excuses for why modern prophets are fallible and don’t get it right 100% of the time. Biblically, the accuracy of prophecy isn’t dependent on the human... or animal “getting it right”. You’re either 100% accurate with what you say God is saying to you or showing you or you need to shut your mouth. My understanding of prophecy is that it is God speaking through an individual to others, and prophesying is when a person speaks what God communicated to them.

She was not giving a prophecy. She was using one tiny detail from a dream to illustrate a principle about dream interpretation.
A principle about dream interpretation? Forgive me, but that sounds like divining. There are a few dreams in Scripture for which the meaning had to be interpreted, but the men who interpreted these dreams asked God to reveal the meaning to them, they didn’t use principles of dream interpretation to figure out the meaning. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I haven’t seen these principles being used in Scripture by godly men for divining the meaning of a dream.

In regard to the idea that we are picking on a woman, that is ridiculous. She seemed to be holding herself forth as some sort of hobbiest/expert on receiving direct revelation from God, and I had questions. That makes her a victim? As soon as the victim card is played I start questioning everything. Instead of melting into a puddle, why don’t you show me from Scripture how what you are doing is something I can trust? You guys are the prophecy experts and I’m the one who apparently lacks understanding on this topic or just cannot comprehend that God is a thermostat or something like that... if you would be so kind, please enlighten me.

My understanding of prophecy is that it is God speaking through an individual to others, and prophesying is when a person speaks what God communicated to them.
I agree. So not all of what God says to an individual is "prophecy". In this case, @FollowingHim2 received a dream that she has not been told to share with others, but is informative to her and I. So it's not "prophecy" by your definition, and is not therefore subject to the standards outlined by yourself and @Communication.
A principle about dream interpretation? Forgive me, but that sounds like divining.
The idea that "things in a dream can be symbolic not literal" is self-evident, it's not divining. She could have used the example of Pharoah seeing cows and them being symbolic of years, not actual cows. But, speaking off the cuff, she used her own dream instead.

She said that one detail of that dream was liberty being lost, symbolised by the statue of liberty falling. Without the context, that is meaningless (what liberty are we talking about, for whom, when and where?) - so it's not a prophecy. It's not saying "liberty for country X will be lost due to Y event in 3 years time" - nor is it saying "your son is going to go to jail" (which is also "liberty being lost"). She may as well have said "I saw an apple and believed it symbolised food".

I agree. So not all of what God says to an individual is "prophecy". In this case, @FollowingHim2 received a dream that she has not been told to share with others, but is informative to her and I. So it's not "prophecy" by your definition, and is not therefore subject to the standards outlined by yourself and @Communication.
If this wasn’t supposed to be shared with others, WHY IS SHE SHARING IT WITH OTHERS? 🤦🏻‍♂️.
The idea that "things in a dream can be symbolic not literal" is self-evident, it's not divining. She could have used the example of Pharoah seeing cows and them being symbolic of years, not actual cows. But, speaking off the cuff, she used her own dream instead.
Biblically the symbolism in dreams is usually only evident after God reveals the interpretation, the interpretation isn’t divined by figuring out what the symbols mean. There’s a difference.

She said that one detail of that dream was liberty being lost, symbolised by the statue of liberty falling. Without the context, that is meaningless (what liberty are we talking about, for whom, when and where?) - so it's not a prophecy. It's not saying "liberty for country X will be lost due to Y event in 3 years time" - nor is it saying "your son is going to go to jail" (which is also "liberty being lost"). She may as well have said "I saw an apple and believed it symbolised food".
Both the dream and the interpretation are supposed to come from God. Would you have guessed that cows represented years without God’s divine revelation to Joseph? Figuring out the interpretation of the dream by deciphering the symbols is sketchy at best and is not a biblical method, as far as I know. So, why is she teaching that?

Does the fact God may say something to a person in itself prove the one hearing Him is a prophet? Jesus, who is God, spoke to thousands - surely, that did not turn all those who heard Him into prophets. Many who heard Him went and told others what He had said, e.g. the woman at the well. I'm rather doubting that simply because she heard God speak, and then relayed what she heard to others, that that is therefore proof confirming her to be a prophetess. Maybe there is a need for clarity on the definition of what a prophet is?

Those who heard Him long ago and relayed what they heard to others - were they automatically prophets?
Those who hear Him now and relay what they've heard to others - are they automatically prophets?

While I heartily agree that anyone who presumes to expect people to obey their “prophecies” needs to be held to strict judgment, I don’t see any Scripture that puts every obscure communication that might be from Yah in that category.

Right, because that is the issue here 🙄
The root of the issue is I believe most people here are talking past each other by operating from different ideas of what constitutes "prophecy".

Do you actually have a definition of prophecy according to scripture alone?

Until you actually have a scriptural definition you're choosing to cause conflict without actually knowing what you're talking about. Period.

I'll wait for an actual scriptural definition of "Prophecy". And if you don't have one you should stop trying to determine if someone has done something wrong.

The root of the issue is I believe most people here are talking past each other by operating from different ideas of what constitutes "prophecy".

Do you actually have a definition of prophecy according to scripture alone?

Until you actually have a scriptural definition you're choosing to cause conflict without actually knowing what you're talking about. Period.

I'll wait for an actual scriptural definition of "Prophecy". And if you don't have one you should stop trying to determine if someone has done something wrong.
Knowing people here we should open new thread. It will take at least 15 pages for definition to emerge. It would be longer than this thread.

Does the fact God may say something to a person in itself prove the one hearing Him is a prophet? Jesus, who is God, spoke to thousands - surely, that did not turn all those who heard Him into prophets. Many who heard Him went and told others what He had said, e.g. the woman at the well. I'm rather doubting that simply because she heard God speak, and then relayed what she heard to others, that that is therefore proof confirming her to be a prophetess. Maybe there is a need for clarity on the definition of what a prophet is?

Those who heard Him long ago and relayed what they heard to others - were they automatically prophets?
Those who hear Him now and relay what they've heard to others - are they automatically prophets?
Prophecy at it’s most basic definition is a message from God. If you have Webster's style definition of what prophecy is in Scripture please share it. I personally don’t care if you call yourself a prophet, a seer, a dreamer, one who isn’t a prophet who just gets messages from God here and there, etc etc. The titles are irrelevant, it’s who’s message you are conveying that is the critical point.

Edit: I might be wrong, but didn’t some of the Old Testament prophets pretty much just convey messages from God to the kings of Israel?

Last edited:
Back