• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Gay choir sings "We're coming for your children"

We already discussed I Cor. 6:9. We may have a difference of opinion when it comes to whether one can "enter the Kingdom of God" is the equivalent of being forbidden, but, either way, if I. Cor. 6:9 forbids gay male anal penetration (I'm assuming by homosexuality you're not also including female/female sexual interaction), it also, given its reference to sodomy and what that term almost universally meant at the time, would forbid anyone from oral sex or anything whatsoever involving anal play, gay or straight. I have no problem with someone having that interpretation for themselves in regard to what rules they should follow.

I think you are setting up a massive straw man here. I don't see anything in this passage forbidding any form of heterosexual sex, or female/female sex (regardless of the rightfulness or wrongness of it, it's not the topic). It just mentions arsenokoites (a word very clearly derived from the words for "male" and "sex", most obviously talking about male/male sexual interaction of some form) and another word that most probably refers to pederasty given the social context.

I think you are setting up a massive straw man here. I don't see anything in this passage forbidding any form of heterosexual sex, or female/female sex (regardless of the rightfulness or wrongness of it, it's not the topic). It just mentions arsenokoites (a word very clearly derived from the words for "male" and "sex", most obviously talking about male/male sexual interaction of some form) and another word that most probably refers to pederasty given the social context.

Oh, OK; I thought that the correct translation of one of those words was 'sodomy.' My bad.

Sorry, not buying it for even a moment @Keith Martin I'm familiar with way too many grooming stories. Not to mention things like the Drag Queen story hour where known predators are being put in contact with children in inappropriate attire. And the media is a happy helper in grooming children.

And @steve is right about spiritual component. I remember one story in the Sandusky case that sounded very strongly like demonic possession was involved.

@FollowingHim brought up Milo, I remember a talk he gave where he mentioned that it's an open secret in the gay community that the vast majority were sexually abused. It was true for everyone he knew that he spent enough time around to find out; and it often didn't take long as they were often surprising open about it.

God didn't give us Leviticus 20:13 on some whim.

The straw man is that I'm supposedly saying that the Adversary isn't sometimes involved, that grooming never happens or that gay men were never abused as children, @rockfox. I'm simply asserting that the evidence shows that the vast majority of both gay men and straight men were not sexually abused as children, that no correlative empirical research has ever come close to demonstrating that there is a causal relationship between sexual abuse and sexual orientation, and that the vast majority of children targeted by homosexual men are already exhibiting precursor signs of being homosexual themselves, just as the vast majority of children targeted by heterosexual men are already exhibiting precursor signs of being heterosexual themselves, not to mention the known fact that, per capita, those who commit sexual assault against young children are more likely to be straight than gay.

To put it really simply, when 70 native Hebrew speaking scholars in the 3rd century BC (chosen by the High Priest of the day as the top experts he had available) say that Leviticus 20:13 means X, and @Keith Martin in the 21st century AD (who doesn't speak Hebrew but can read commentaries and use online tools) says it means Y, I find it more probable that the first set of scholars are correct and Keith is mistaken than the alternative.

Now, look, you'll get no argument from me about that: if I were to bet on (i) 70 top experts chosen for their ability to steer straight along the path assigned to them from a High Priest -- someone like Caiaphas, correct? -- or on (ii) one hobbled lay person (no matter how much access he could possibly have to advanced, cumulative knowledge or research compiled by other experts in the meantime), I, too, would lean very, very heavily toward choosing to follow the path of the LXX. Hands down. No contest. Sayonara, baby.

Keep in mind, though, that this is a tangent off of a rabbit hole in the main discussion. I don't mind being the Goat in this, and I don't at all mind acknowledging that I haven't come close to proving that Lev. 20:13 means something other than what most everybody believes it means (I think I keep saying that), but that doesn't change my main set of assertions related to the Queer Choir, and that is (1) that they're not coming for your children, (2) they are children of Yah before they come close to qualifying as spawn of the Adversary, and (3) if anyone is ever going to be effective at persuading the lost among the Queer Choir or the macro community it represents, they are going to have to take a much more persuasive and loving tack than to promote questionable certainty about (a) their intention to recruit more gays to sustain their herd, (b) there being no genetic basis for homosexuality, or (c) that the only explanation for homosexuality is recruitment or abuse-induced mental illness that supposedly causes them to go queer.

I did not say they "more" accurately translated it. I just said that they may have accurately translated it. Not more accurately than anything, and certainly not more accurately than the Hebrew. Just accurately.

OK, still hunting for the nuggets here.

Both are accurate, you assert, but what about if they're substantively different? If that were to be the case, could they really both be accurate?

Secondly, you're consistently avoiding one of the points I'm making. This is not a matter of the Hebrew they translated from somehow staying the same between 300 B.C. to 2020 A.D. but now being improperly understood by modern scholars while somehow having been perfectly understood by 70 pre-Messiah Dr. Faucis or 70 Wayne Grudems or even 70 Menachem Begins, because if that were the case the much more likely scenario would be that the modern scholars would be equally as likely to now fail to understand the Septuagint as they would be to fail to understand the Hebrew of that era.

What I'm suggesting is that the Hebrew might have to be teased to create an ironclad assertion that Lev. 20:13 euphemistically or idiomatically prohibits some not-fully-articulated aspect of male-male homosexuality. What I'm also asserting is that, when many modern rabbis, many scholars of ancient Hebrew, many scholars of ancient Greek, and many modern algorithmic digital translation tools translate the English of modern English translations or the LXX back into Hebrew, a different set of characters emerges from the ones that are purported to have produced the LXX's 'accuracy.' (I do know I'm leaving out their collective spiritual intuition that imbued them with the power of gleaning the meaning others have missed.) I found other modern Jewish scholars online who made this assertion well before I came to the point of wondering if they might be correct.

Yeah, yeah, I know, they were probably all Jewish homo drag queens; that'll let us write them off!

This is all part of one of the most loaded, taboo-laden discussions we could possibly have. It's so forbidden in our culture that everyone has to stumble over themselves to be the first to declare and remind everyone else that they would never do such a thing, have never even had one solitary thought along those lines, and wouldn't even be caught dead associating with someone who could even hum the Flintstones theme.

So let me shift this particular theological debate to an entirely different topic: the use of ekklesia in Scripture and how it was purposefully transformed by the translators of the Latin Vulgate to shift its meaning. It's a Greek word that means assembly (you know, as in, where two or more are gathered in My name . . .). Gradually, through a series of translations that began with the Vulgate and continued with the King James (so-called Authorized) Version (which used the Vulgate as its bedrock) and twisted further by subsequent English-language translations that used the KVJ as their bedrock, the meaning has changed from an assembly of human beings to either or both of:
  • the building where people gather instead of the people who gather, wherever they gather;
  • an organization that people who gather belong to that commits itself to a common extra-Scriptural creed and meets in the buildings that people gather in that carry the title that was formerly meant to describe the gathering that people do.
Both of which the average Christian now assumes you have to comply with in order to be right with your Creator.

Thus, the meaning of what we call 'church' has been purposefully shifted. Instead of church (ekklesia) being the gathering of people, it's the organization that a person belongs to (i.e., "What church [club] do you belong to?) and the building where s/he goes to meet with fellow club members (i.e., "Where do you go to church?).

Were these translations (the two I mentioned being commissioned from the highest level of the Roman and Anglican churches, respectively), both of which had extant Hebrew and Greek LXX manuscripts at their disposal, accurate in their translations? Or were they not only possessed of an agenda to make these changes but expected to make them? What came before and what came after the translation are clearly different meanings; are we to assume that those change agendas were God-breathed? Or are we to assume that only the LXX was God-breathed of all the translations? I'll reveal my bias: the LXX was no more devoid of purposefully-injected bias than were the Vulgate or the KJV. And I suspect that it was widely known at the time of the creation of each of these major productions that bias was inherent in the commissioning of them. The KJV, because it's the only copyrighted Bible, has been marketed so thoroughly that it's the most likely Bible to now be in the hands of Christians worldwide and is even promoted by the Amish as the only legitimate Scripture despite the fact that it was commissioned by their forebears' biggest persecutor. But at the time of its introduction, the Anglos refused to obtain copies. Even after all other English translations were banned by King James, 60 years passed before it became the Bible used by the majority of English citizens -- because they knew on the ground that it was a con job forced on them by a tyrant who wanted to instill upon himself the Divine Right of Kings; he was the man who most inspired flight to the New World. They knew there was something dishonest about it, beginning with the project head being a man who was transferred to run it from his previous position as the head of the Anglican Inquisition.

Insisting that one had to belong to the Church of England and attend regular services at the buildings constructed by that organization wasn't even the most heinous of the purposeful mistranslations. I chose it because it's less controversial than some other things I could have used as examples of why it's nearly diabolical to assign Divinity to translation projects: the KJV's purposeful insistence on full injection of the Vulgate's purposeful mistranslation of six different Hebrew, Aramaic and Greek words with six different meanings (including one that was the name for the land-fill trash dump outside Jerusalem) into a term (Hell) meant to imply eternal conscious torment is a far more controversial one, but I feared that limiting myself to articulating that would only create further resistance to being able to see how translations are man-made, not God-made endeavors.

My rough-outline expose of the manipulation of Scripture by Constantine and the early church fathers to scare people into cathedral pews and drain their pockets by changing ekklesia (gathering) to an organized religion and places where one is required to make paid visits is an example of scriptural corruption purposefully introduced by human actors. This isn't something I made up or imagined. I suggest Viola's Pagan Christianity as a starting point if you doubt me.

I agree with you that the word "church" was used in the KJV for political reasons - the instructions for the translators clearly stated "The old ecclesiastical words to be kept; as the word church, not to be translated congregation, &c.". You are generally correct in your criticism of what is going on here.

However if we're going to get really technical about it, it's not necessarily an inaccurate translation - bear in mind that the Geneva bible also uses the word "church" much of the time, and that was an apolitical project. When I look at the etymology of the word "church", it comes from an Old English word that means "place of assemblage set aside for Christian worship; the body of Christian believers, Christians collectively; ecclesiastical authority or power". So the meaning of the word has always included both "the body of Christian believers" and "Christians collectively", which is generally an accurate translation of Ekklesia.

So the problem with the word "church" is not so much that the word itself is a mistranslation, it is more that the word is then twisted to mean the two incorrect concepts that you list. It may have been better to use a word that was not so easy to misconstrue - but then maybe if the word "assembly" had been used, then the places people meet would have been called "assemblies" and the exact same misconstruing would have been carried out anyway. That's rather speculative of course.

I completely agree with you about the overall deception on this issue, I'm just nitpicking on the details because I'm annoying and argumentative. :)
What I'm suggesting is that the Hebrew might have to be teased to create an ironclad assertion that Lev. 20:13 euphemistically or idiomatically prohibits some not-fully-articulated aspect of male-male homosexuality.
I understand what you are suggesting. It is a possibility. I just don't see sufficient evidence for it.

Just to go completely off-topic down the rabbit-trail we've already started, Sarah and I were just reading Psalm 8:2, and it's a fascinating example of the differences between the LXX and the Hebrew text.

Psalm 8:2, KJV: "Out of the mouth of babes and sucklings hast thou ordained strength because of thine enemies, that thou mightest still the enemy and the avenger."
Psalm 8:2, New English Translation of the Septuagint: "Out of mouths of infants and nurslings you furnished praise for yourself, for the sake of your enemies, to put down enemy and avenger"
Matthew 21:16, KJV: "And said unto him, Hearest thou what these say? And Jesus saith unto them, Yea; have ye never read, Out of the mouth of babes and sucklings thou hast perfected praise?"

It's obvious here that Matthew has Jesus either quoting the Septuagint, or an alternative Hebrew version that agrees with the Septuagint. This is particularly interesting given that Matthew might have been originally written in Hebrew, and even if not Matthew would have been fully aware of the Hebrew version, so there is no reason for him to choose the Septuagint if he was citing the words from Psalms himself. The only reason he would use this wording would be that he is accurately recording the precise words that Jesus had used.

So according to Jesus, and the LXX, this verse states "perfected praise" (or "furnished praise"). But according to the currently available Hebrew versions, it says "ordained strength".

Now, I can easily see how you can get praise out of the mouth of an infant. But I have no idea how you would get strength out of the mouth of an infant. So the LXX and Jesus' citation of it make logical sense, while the Hebrew is frankly peculiar. Is the Hebrew misunderstood? Is the Hebrew we have received corrupted? Or was Jesus wrong? Or did Matthew choose for some reason to quote from the Septuagint instead of writing Jesus' actual words?

To me this looks like a case of the LXX being a more reasonable version than the Hebrew. Why this would be I couldn't say.

The Dead Sea Scrolls do often align with the LXX rather than the Masoretic text, which does suggest that the Masoretic text may have been altered and the LXX could be closer to the original. But I tried to check this against the Dead Sea Scrolls, and unfortunately although Psalm 8 has been found in them the first 2 verses are missing or illegible, so we can't check this verse there.

Point of tangent being - don't just automatically assume the Masoretic Hebrew is the absolute gold standard and the LXX is an imperfect translation. This is a complex and fascinating issue.

Unfortunately although multiple copies of Leviticus 20 have been found, verse 13 is illegible or missing, so they don't help us either.

Just to go completely off-topic down the rabbit-trail we've already started, Sarah and I were just reading Psalm 8:2, and it's a fascinating example of the differences between the LXX and the Hebrew text.

Psalm 8:2, KJV: "Out of the mouth of babes and sucklings hast thou ordained strength because of thine enemies, that thou mightest still the enemy and the avenger."
Psalm 8:2, New English Translation of the Septuagint: "Out of mouths of infants and nurslings you furnished praise for yourself, for the sake of your enemies, to put down enemy and avenger"
Matthew 21:16, KJV: "And said unto him, Hearest thou what these say? And Jesus saith unto them, Yea; have ye never read, Out of the mouth of babes and sucklings thou hast perfected praise?"

It's obvious here that Matthew has Jesus either quoting the Septuagint, or an alternative Hebrew version that agrees with the Septuagint. This is particularly interesting given that Matthew might have been originally written in Hebrew, and even if not Matthew would have been fully aware of the Hebrew version, so there is no reason for him to choose the Septuagint if he was citing the words from Psalms himself. The only reason he would use this wording would be that he is accurately recording the precise words that Jesus had used.

So according to Jesus, and the LXX, this verse states "perfected praise" (or "furnished praise"). But according to the currently available Hebrew versions, it says "ordained strength".

Now, I can easily see how you can get praise out of the mouth of an infant. But I have no idea how you would get strength out of the mouth of an infant. So the LXX and Jesus' citation of it make logical sense, while the Hebrew is frankly peculiar. Is the Hebrew misunderstood? Is the Hebrew we have received corrupted? Or was Jesus wrong? Or did Matthew choose for some reason to quote from the Septuagint instead of writing Jesus' actual words?

To me this looks like a case of the LXX being a more reasonable version than the Hebrew. Why this would be I couldn't say.

The Dead Sea Scrolls do often align with the LXX rather than the Masoretic text, which does suggest that the Masoretic text may have been altered and the LXX could be closer to the original. But I tried to check this against the Dead Sea Scrolls, and unfortunately although Psalm 8 has been found in them the first 2 verses are missing or illegible, so we can't check this verse there.

Point of tangent being - don't just automatically assume the Masoretic Hebrew is the absolute gold standard and the LXX is an imperfect translation. This is a complex and fascinating issue.

Unfortunately although multiple copies of Leviticus 20 have been found, verse 13 is illegible or missing, so they don't help us either.

Thank you for taking the time to share all that, @FollowingHim. You inspired me to do some more research, and I learned a thing or two.

Excellent review, as well, by the way. However . . . you're forgetting one other, and I suspect much more relevant, possibility: the discrepancy isn't necessarily between the Masoretic Hebrew and the LXX; I think it's much more likely that you're unveiling two things: (1) lower-level corruption in the Masoretic that tends to be over minor issues compared to the Hebrew available at the time of the higher-level-corruption Septuagint project, and (2) just yet another of the thousands of ways in which the KJV is corrupt (it's the last version I rely on -- and really only research it in order to provide connection with what so many people are familiar with). The KJV project was a full-on cafeteria approach, starting with certain requirements (mirroring the Vulgate in re: Hell, ekklesia, a small number of other topics -- for the express purpose of currying favor with the Catholics, whom King James wanted to realign with) and then partially searching for the interpretations that most closely fit the agenda, as well as in many cases just basically making up what they wanted passages to mean. The KJV failed to differentiate their sources in regard to ensuring congruency between original and quoted verses, perhaps accidentally got Tehillim 8:2 correct and accidentally got Mattityahu 21:16 incorrect, but my suspicion is that this occurred not because Yeshua misquoted Tehillim 8:2.

One of my favorite versions to review is Messianic Jew David Stern's Complete Jewish Bible. Unfortunately, in this case, he also perpetuates the discrepancy between these two verses, but it probably reflects his hierarchy of references. His first choice was to lean on pre-Septuagint Hebrew when available, with near-secondary reliance on the Masoretic (app. 1000 A.D.), and only if that orientation was inconclusive to him would he turn to the Septuagint. He also referred to early translations of the New Testament into Greek, as well as in much more minor instances various other versions, including KJV as a last resort (you can see why I like the CJB).

In this case, I think it's safe to stipulate that Mattityahu was accurately quoting Yeshua in his original manuscript, as well as that Yeshua was accurately quoting David, but the discrepancy probably arose prior to the KJV in the early translations of Mattityahu into Greek, because it's known that, generally, those translators over-relied on the Septuagint; therefore, when they found a discrepancy between "strength" in Hebrew and "praise" in Greek, they went with the Greek, given that they were beholden to being aligned with their Greco-Roman majority culture but weren't simultaneously translating Tehillim, given their assumption that the LXX was authoritative. In the end, though, the KJV made the choice to go with the right thing with Tehillim 8:2, but that's probably because they found no contradiction with their mission when focusing on that, and creating congruency with Mattityahu 21:16 wasn't their then-current focus. The KJV thus gets one thing correct and the other incorrect, but this is more a matter of simply passing along old partial corruption than purposeful mistranslation on their part, in this particular case. The same can probably be applied to the Masoretic. Very few translation projects have insisted for themselves that they rely predominantly on going back to the oldest extant manuscripts/copies -- and thus they have functioned as corruption perpetuators.

My conclusion is that "strength" is actually the closest we have to what David wrote and Adonai breathed, as well as the closest we have to what Yeshua would have quoted. The Septuagint 70 may have agreed among themselves with the very argument you've made (a quite reasonable one, I might add), but I think that this is probably more a matter of lost comprehension of idiomatic expression at the time of David (and, in my viewpoint, still inappropriate 'correction,' no matter how reasonable). I see the point about praise being more likely from babies (albeit less likely from most infants!) than strength (although anyone who has had the experience of trying to pry apart the legs of a reluctant baby during a diaper change might have cause to contest that), but I perceive something meaningful about the end of that phrase, "at the breast." For one thing, babies and infants at the breast are too busy snorkeling down their nourishment to be praising anyone! However, they certainly are gaining strength, and this may be intended to convey that Adonai's strength extends throughout every phase of existence, beginning as early as the time of suckling. So I'm once again going to lean toward trusting the oldest available texts. The Masoretic prioritized the Septuagint over the Hebrew discovered in the Dead Sea Scrolls, much of which easily pre-dated the Septuagint. I just checked, and Psalm/Tehillim 8:2 is not among what survived from that treasure trove, and apparently at this point we have no other surviving pre-LXX Hebrew texts of 8:2, but I believe, @FollowingHim, you've provided a very good example of an example in which the Septuagint 70 saw fit to 'correct' the what-would-have-then-been-extant Hebrew, assuming hubristically that they more clearly understood what David had written. However, no evidence exists that Yeshua was anything close to fluent in Greek. His native language was the Hebraic Aramaic, and He was certainly well-versed in Hebrew, so it's highly questionable to think that He was quoting the LXX.

This particular verse isn't a KJV issue, I just used the first version to hand because every English version except those explicitly based on the LXX treated this the same. As you found, the same is the case with your preferred translation.

It is plausible that this could have been introduced by the translators of Matthew, however Matthew would have been translated by Christians who you would expect to treat the words of Jesus with particular reverence and try to actually preserve those. There is no reasonable motive for a Christian to deliberately change his words.

The Jews, on the other hand, would have a plausible motive to change their side of it (the Masoretic text of Psalms) so that it disagreed with the quotation the Christians were using and made Jesus look like he didn't know scripture. I'm not saying they necessarily DID do this, but there is a plausible motive.

There are two Hebrew versions of Matthew available - the Shem Tov (which comes from a severely anti-Christian source and is considered heretical and quite likely fraudulent), and the Sepharad Matthew, from Spain (which was preserved by Christians). Shem Tov has Jesus saying "strength", while the Sepharad version has Jesus saying "praise". So you could say that is inconclusive - but the version that is probably more reliable does say "praise".

Looking through the website I was using above for English translations of the Dead Sea Scrolls, it quickly becomes evident how often they diverge from the Masoretic text and align with the LXX instead. For instance here and here. It's only a few words now and then, but when differences do appear that alter the meaning the difference tends to say the same as the LXX. I find the more I read the more my trust in the Masoretic text becomes shakier and my trust in the LXX grows, as it becomes clear that the differences are not due to translator error but more likely because the LXX comes from older Hebrew source manuscripts.

Coming for your children? In many cases they've already taken them...

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/...t-that-placed-foster-children-with-pedophiles

This isn't just about a decades long German state project in placing foster children with pedophiles, or even about how the professor managing it hid abuses from the legal system. This openly gay (and secretly pedophile) professor was involved in other projects (like a day care that sexualized children) and was a prominent advocate for decriminalizing homosexuality in Germany. This was all possible due to a left-wing pedophile network in acedamia and government which apparently continues to this day. Also indications of demonic involvement. And intelligence agency involvement.

The person who discovered all this got run out of academia.

I have a friend in Tennessee with some incredible problems. The children are in foster care and one of the boys was placed in the home of two gay men.
There is a great show of respect for his beliefs, but in reality he is living in a culture that is alien to what our Creator designed a young boy to be raised in.

The straw man is that I'm supposedly saying that the Adversary isn't sometimes involved, that grooming never happens or that gay men were never abused as children, @rockfox. I'm simply asserting that the evidence shows that the vast majority of both gay men and straight men were not sexually abused as children, that no correlative empirical research has ever come close to demonstrating that there is a causal relationship between sexual abuse and sexual orientation, and that the vast majority of children targeted by homosexual men are already exhibiting precursor signs of being homosexual themselves, just as the vast majority of children targeted by heterosexual men are already exhibiting precursor signs of being heterosexual themselves, not to mention the known fact that, per capita, those who commit sexual assault against young children are more likely to be straight than gay.

Now, look, you'll get no argument from me about that: if I were to bet on (i) 70 top experts chosen for their ability to steer straight along the path assigned to them from a High Priest -- someone like Caiaphas, correct? -- or on (ii) one hobbled lay person (no matter how much access he could possibly have to advanced, cumulative knowledge or research compiled by other experts in the meantime), I, too, would lean very, very heavily toward choosing to follow the path of the LXX. Hands down. No contest. Sayonara, baby.

Keep in mind, though, that this is a tangent off of a rabbit hole in the main discussion. I don't mind being the Goat in this, and I don't at all mind acknowledging that I haven't come close to proving that Lev. 20:13 means something other than what most everybody believes it means (I think I keep saying that), but that doesn't change my main set of assertions related to the Queer Choir, and that is (1) that they're not coming for your children, (2) they are children of Yah before they come close to qualifying as spawn of the Adversary, and (3) if anyone is ever going to be effective at persuading the lost among the Queer Choir or the macro community it represents, they are going to have to take a much more persuasive and loving tack than to promote questionable certainty about (a) their intention to recruit more gays to sustain their herd, (b) there being no genetic basis for homosexuality, or (c) that the only explanation for homosexuality is recruitment or abuse-induced mental illness that supposedly causes them to go queer.

OK, still hunting for the nuggets here.

Both are accurate, you assert, but what about if they're substantively different? If that were to be the case, could they really both be accurate?

Secondly, you're consistently avoiding one of the points I'm making. This is not a matter of the Hebrew they translated from somehow staying the same between 300 B.C. to 2020 A.D. but now being improperly understood by modern scholars while somehow having been perfectly understood by 70 pre-Messiah Dr. Faucis or 70 Wayne Grudems or even 70 Menachem Begins, because if that were the case the much more likely scenario would be that the modern scholars would be equally as likely to now fail to understand the Septuagint as they would be to fail to understand the Hebrew of that era.

What I'm suggesting is that the Hebrew might have to be teased to create an ironclad assertion that Lev. 20:13 euphemistically or idiomatically prohibits some not-fully-articulated aspect of male-male homosexuality. What I'm also asserting is that, when many modern rabbis, many scholars of ancient Hebrew, many scholars of ancient Greek, and many modern algorithmic digital translation tools translate the English of modern English translations or the LXX back into Hebrew, a different set of characters emerges from the ones that are purported to have produced the LXX's 'accuracy.' (I do know I'm leaving out their collective spiritual intuition that imbued them with the power of gleaning the meaning others have missed.) I found other modern Jewish scholars online who made this assertion well before I came to the point of wondering if they might be correct.

Yeah, yeah, I know, they were probably all Jewish homo drag queens; that'll let us write them off!

This is all part of one of the most loaded, taboo-laden discussions we could possibly have. It's so forbidden in our culture that everyone has to stumble over themselves to be the first to declare and remind everyone else that they would never do such a thing, have never even had one solitary thought along those lines, and wouldn't even be caught dead associating with someone who could even hum the Flintstones theme.

So let me shift this particular theological debate to an entirely different topic: the use of ekklesia in Scripture and how it was purposefully transformed by the translators of the Latin Vulgate to shift its meaning. It's a Greek word that means assembly (you know, as in, where two or more are gathered in My name . . .). Gradually, through a series of translations that began with the Vulgate and continued with the King James (so-called Authorized) Version (which used the Vulgate as its bedrock) and twisted further by subsequent English-language translations that used the KVJ as their bedrock, the meaning has changed from an assembly of human beings to either or both of:
  • the building where people gather instead of the people who gather, wherever they gather;
  • an organization that people who gather belong to that commits itself to a common extra-Scriptural creed and meets in the buildings that people gather in that carry the title that was formerly meant to describe the gathering that people do.
Both of which the average Christian now assumes you have to comply with in order to be right with your Creator.

Thus, the meaning of what we call 'church' has been purposefully shifted. Instead of church (ekklesia) being the gathering of people, it's the organization that a person belongs to (i.e., "What church [club] do you belong to?) and the building where s/he goes to meet with fellow club members (i.e., "Where do you go to church?).

Were these translations (the two I mentioned being commissioned from the highest level of the Roman and Anglican churches, respectively), both of which had extant Hebrew and Greek LXX manuscripts at their disposal, accurate in their translations? Or were they not only possessed of an agenda to make these changes but expected to make them? What came before and what came after the translation are clearly different meanings; are we to assume that those change agendas were God-breathed? Or are we to assume that only the LXX was God-breathed of all the translations? I'll reveal my bias: the LXX was no more devoid of purposefully-injected bias than were the Vulgate or the KJV. And I suspect that it was widely known at the time of the creation of each of these major productions that bias was inherent in the commissioning of them. The KJV, because it's the only copyrighted Bible, has been marketed so thoroughly that it's the most likely Bible to now be in the hands of Christians worldwide and is even promoted by the Amish as the only legitimate Scripture despite the fact that it was commissioned by their forebears' biggest persecutor. But at the time of its introduction, the Anglos refused to obtain copies. Even after all other English translations were banned by King James, 60 years passed before it became the Bible used by the majority of English citizens -- because they knew on the ground that it was a con job forced on them by a tyrant who wanted to instill upon himself the Divine Right of Kings; he was the man who most inspired flight to the New World. They knew there was something dishonest about it, beginning with the project head being a man who was transferred to run it from his previous position as the head of the Anglican Inquisition.

Insisting that one had to belong to the Church of England and attend regular services at the buildings constructed by that organization wasn't even the most heinous of the purposeful mistranslations. I chose it because it's less controversial than some other things I could have used as examples of why it's nearly diabolical to assign Divinity to translation projects: the KJV's purposeful insistence on full injection of the Vulgate's purposeful mistranslation of six different Hebrew, Aramaic and Greek words with six different meanings (including one that was the name for the land-fill trash dump outside Jerusalem) into a term (Hell) meant to imply eternal conscious torment is a far more controversial one, but I feared that limiting myself to articulating that would only create further resistance to being able to see how translations are man-made, not God-made endeavors.

My rough-outline expose of the manipulation of Scripture by Constantine and the early church fathers to scare people into cathedral pews and drain their pockets by changing ekklesia (gathering) to an organized religion and places where one is required to make paid visits is an example of scriptural corruption purposefully introduced by human actors. This isn't something I made up or imagined. I suggest Viola's Pagan Christianity as a starting point if you doubt me.
Some of the disconnect may center around whether or not some of us trust academia to report honestly on homosexuality. Homosexuals are a protected class and we know how much academia I’ll lie about other issues from climate change to gun control.

Some of the disconnect may center around whether or not some of us trust academia to report honestly on homosexuality. Homosexuals are a protected class and we know how much academia I’ll lie about other issues from climate change to gun control.
that about sums it up.. and only took a brief paragraph :)
Amen, @rustywest4! And you'll get no argument from me about academia lying about everything from climate nonsense to guns to sexual orientation. I've been telling parents not to send their children to college ever since the early 1980s. At best, trust but verify. And I sympathize with how reticence to trust anything coming from academia can make it damn difficult to allow oneself to ever agree with anything they might say.

Despite avid denials, I truly believe recruitment is definitely on the agenda of certain individuals. There's too much anecdotal evidence for me to override "research" evidence.

. . . giving them all the more free time to come for your children!

Back