• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Lunar Sabbaths

Daniel DeLuca

Seasoned Member
Real Person
Male
OK, so to preface this, I am an Evangelical Christian who attends church with my family every Sunday, but we had a lady in the cafeteria where I used to work, who was really big on the Sabbath and following all the Jewish customs. I told her something that had occurred to me, even though at the time, I hadn't actually researched it, that the New Moons would reset the Sabbaths. She wasn't all that sure, but took it to heart nonetheless. Well, the other night, I came across Ezekiel 46, so I figured "I can't be the only person who has read this." Sure enough, I did a little more research on it and came across this website, which I found more than intriguing: http://sabbathofthebible.com/IndexEzekiel_46.html

So like I said, I attend church every Sunday and work my 9 - 5 job on Monday through Friday (more like 10 - 7:30 Central Time), but if I were to be convinced that observing the Sabbath is crucial to be pleasing to God, that would make things very difficult to follow a non-Gregorian week in a Romanized culture, but I would be compelled to figure out a way to do so. One thing I did come across in my research, that I do find compelling, is that in Isaiah 65-66, it does appear to prophecy a time coming, which we in Christian circles understand to be after the return of Christ and Armhegeddon, we will all be observing the Sabbath in whatever form our Creator intended. I don't find it a matter of salvific importance, which day you rest from all your work, but I do find the arguments for the Lunar Sabbath to be quite compelling.

@Daniel DeLuca, you have discovered a new way of looking at the calendar, and because it is the first new way of looking at the calendar that you have investigated, you find it somewhat convincing. However, in that article there are very few bible verses quoted. The few they quote do agree with their interpretation of the calendar - but not exclusively, they can be interpreted in other ways also. There is no earth-shattering verse that actually proves the theory and disagrees with all other options.

It's very important to realise that there are many different ways of considering the calendar, others of which can feel even more convincing, because they too explain many things.

If you want to go down this rabbithole, before getting too set on a lunar sabbath, have a good look at what Moshe Koniuchowsky has ended up understanding (Moshe is well known to many people here). Go to the link below, but don't actually read this article (it's almost unreadable as it starts by assuming you already know what he's talking about). Instead, scroll to the bottom to find links to his "Key teaching articles on the Shabbat", and go through those. Once you've read those you'll understand the main article. I have no idea why he has arranged this site in such a confusing way.
https://www.yourarmstoisraelglobal.com/the-times-of-torah.html

Basically, Moshe is using a calendar from Qumran, based on Enoch, which is a purely solar calendar. But it has a really interesting feature in that every Sabbath feast day actually falls on a 7th-day Sabbath - so there are no double Sabbaths as you get on the standard Jewish calendar. This old calendar just seems to work far better.

I can assure you that if you'd looked at Moshe's calendar first, you'd be as enthusiastic about it as you currently are about the lunar one! If not more.

But whether either of them is correct though I could not tell you - and I really don't think it matters much. People get too passionate about this issue. From the article you shared:
Is this a salvation issue?
This is the 4th commandment we are speaking of, this is the commandment that tells us what day to come to the feet of our Creator to give Him worship. If we do not worship on the specific day He has designated as His seventh day Sabbath, He will be at work, He is NOT in His temple to receive your worship on any pagan day prescribed by Rome.
So God won't hear your worship if you don't worship on the right day? Seriously? He's making a mountain out of a molehill.

So God won't hear your worship if you don't worship on the right day? Seriously? He's making a mountain out of a molehill.
Yeah, I'm right there with you. I have always said that we should worship God every day of the week, and I choose to join in fellowship with my brothers and sisters on the day that they have chosen, so I could care less whether we meet on Sunday, Saturday or Tuesday!

I have no idea why he has arranged this site in such a confusing way.
It takes skill to compose your thoughts, and often when I have gone on a rant, I have had to come back and rearrange what I have said to where things make more sense.

So looking at this document "WHAT ABOUT THOSE MOON VERSES .docx", I came across this paragraph, and it is like "HUH!!!"

In verse 36 it is David's seed that is made into a faithful witness preserved IN THE HEAVENS or the throne; just like the moon is in the heavens FOREVER; so the heavens is the place of the preserving of the faithful witness or YHWH's throne-promises-Word FOREVER.This verse does not claim that the moon is forever faithful for telling time, as it remains sick and dysfunctional giving unbibical 29 day months and 13 month years, which if blindly followed, will cause everyone to miss the appointed times of YHWH.

Oh and this:

Of course the rabbis translate it as full moon, to make you a disciple of the Antiochus Epiphanies lunar calendar, FORCED ON JUDAISM after the Macabbean victory.

I don't find any citations here, so I don't know if there is something in the Apocrypha they derived this from or if they or simply pulling this out of thin air. It has been a while since I read Maccabees.

So I opened the file "CONSTELLATIONS PROVE THAT THE YEAR BEGINS IN PISCES .pdf"

The only thing it shows, is a chart of when the constellations appear in the sky. I have always thought it was the Babylonians who were astrologers. You won't find a thing about astrology in Scripture until you get to Daniel chapter 5.

The 52 week year, is one of the biggest reasons I set the Book of Enoch to the side. The other one was where it claimed that cows were descended from angelic beings. Now I read from some site on the internet that the Book of Enoch claims that Enoch is the Son of Man who will reign over all creation. That is very troubling for those of us who understand that Christ is the one who will enter the presence of the ancient of Days, and to whom all authority will be given, and who will be worshipped forever.

Well the logical one is pretty straightforward. Either the gates are to remain shut or they are to be opened. There is no either/or fallacy there, because it cannot be opened and remain shut at the same time or day.

I think in order to dismiss that argument, Moshe claims that the month should only be 28 days, and that we should pay no heed to the actual moon cycles.

Th
Well the logical one is pretty straightforward. Either the gates are to remain shut or they are to be opened. There is no either/or fallacy there, because it cannot be opened and remain shut at the same time or day.

I think in order to dismiss that argument, Moshe claims that the month should only be 28 days, and that we should pay no heed to the actual moon cycles.
The verse saying the gates should be opened at the new moon can most literally be understood as simply saying just that - open the gates then, whatever day of the week that might be. The idea that this is also the weekly sabbath and resets the count of sabbaths is an enormous amount of extra stuff that was not stated in the verse.

If Enoch is correct, he is describing the pre-flood world. The speed of the earth's rotation could have altered since then, changing the number of days in the year. So Enoch may be true while also being no longer accurate. I'm not stating this is fact, just pointing out the variables to take into consideration.

If Enoch is correct, he is describing the pre-flood world. The speed of the earth's rotation could have altered since then, changing the number of days in the year. So Enoch may be true while also being no longer accurate. I'm not stating this is fact, just pointing out the variables to take into consideration.
You know that is interesting, because Dr. Walt Brown has proposed that the rotation changed as a result of the effects from the rupture event. He speculated a 360 day year and a 30 day moon cycle.

The verse saying the gates should be opened at the new moon can most literally be understood as simply saying just that - open the gates then, whatever day of the week that might be. The idea that this is also the weekly sabbath and resets the count of sabbaths is an enormous amount of extra stuff that was not stated in the verse.
The problem with that, is the fact that the gates would then be open on one of the six days it is said that it will be shut.

Last edited:
OK, so to preface this, I am an Evangelical Christian who attends church with my family every Sunday, but we had a lady in the cafeteria where I used to work, who was really big on the Sabbath and following all the Jewish customs. I told her something that had occurred to me, even though at the time, I hadn't actually researched it, that the New Moons would reset the Sabbaths. She wasn't all that sure, but took it to heart nonetheless. Well, the other night, I came across Ezekiel 46, so I figured "I can't be the only person who has read this." Sure enough, I did a little more research on it and came across this website, which I found more than intriguing: http://sabbathofthebible.com/IndexEzekiel_46.html

So like I said, I attend church every Sunday and work my 9 - 5 job on Monday through Friday (more like 10 - 7:30 Central Time), but if I were to be convinced that observing the Sabbath is crucial to be pleasing to God, that would make things very difficult to follow a non-Gregorian week in a Romanized culture, but I would be compelled to figure out a way to do so. One thing I did come across in my research, that I do find compelling, is that in Isaiah 65-66, it does appear to prophecy a time coming, which we in Christian circles understand to be after the return of Christ and Armhegeddon, we will all be observing the Sabbath in whatever form our Creator intended. I don't find it a matter of salvific importance, which day you rest from all your work, but I do find the arguments for the Lunar Sabbath to be quite compelling.
I'm not a lunar sabbatarian, as the moon was created on the fourth day and God sanctified the seventh... but i'm not not dropping in to debate, etc....

My question is,

if 'Isaiah 65-66 .. appear to prophecy a time coming, which we in Christian circles understand to be after the return of Christ and Armhegeddon, we will all be observing the Sabbath in whatever form our Creator intended' and

if there was clearly a time ( OT) when the Sabbath was kept, and

if, 'I the Lord do not change',

then, why aren't we observing it now?

Or, a different way for you to ask the question is, 'when did Sabbath observance move to Sunday? Who moved it? By what authority?

And, as a side note, @Daniel DeLuca , I commend you for testing tradition against Scripture.

Shabbat Shalom!

I'm not a lunar sabbatarian, as the moon was created on the fourth day and God sanctified the seventh... but i'm not not dropping in to debate, etc....

My question is,

if 'Isaiah 65-66 .. appear to prophecy a time coming, which we in Christian circles understand to be after the return of Christ and Armhegeddon, we will all be observing the Sabbath in whatever form our Creator intended' and

if there was clearly a time ( OT) when the Sabbath was kept, and

if, 'I the Lord do not change',

then, why aren't we observing it now?

Or, a different way for you to ask the question is, 'when did Sabbath observance move to Sunday? Who moved it? By what authority?

And, as a side note, @Daniel DeLuca , I commend you for testing tradition against Scripture.

Shabbat Shalom!
Colossians 2 (and the whole of Colossians) comes to my mind regarding these things. As does the Jerusalem Council in Acts 15 and Galatians, especially chapter 5. I do think Western culture "workism" has made most Christians turn away from any sort of Sabbath, even our ministers/pastors and church staff work on our worship days. I think a good place start would be the Didache or other early Christian writings to see when the shift happened...

Colossians 2 (and the whole of Colossians) comes to my mind regarding these things. As does the Jerusalem Council in Acts 15 and Galatians, especially chapter 5. I do think Western culture "workism" has made most Christians turn away from any sort of Sabbath, even our ministers/pastors and church staff work on our worship days. I think a good place start would be the Didache or other early Christian writings to see when the shift happened...
I am not getting into a Torah debate on the board. I'd be happy to address those passages in a PM, but they don't say what you think they say...

Shalom.

I am not getting into a Torah debate on the board. I'd be happy to address those passages in a PM, but they don't say what you think they say...

Shalom.
Sure! Not sure how PM works on here but I'll gladly read what you got to say.

The problem with that, is the fact that the gates would then be open on one of the six days it is said that it will be shut.
But if the count of days resets every new moon, then every 5th week is cut short and also does not contain 6 working days.
And if a feast day falls in the middle of the week, that week does not have 6 working days.
The 'rule' is broken in either system. So it more likely describes a 'normal' week, not necessarily all weeks.

Back