• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Lunar Sabbaths

So looking at this document "WHAT ABOUT THOSE MOON VERSES .docx", I came across this paragraph, and it is like "HUH!!!"

13 month years are not unbiblical. There is nothing in scripture prohibiting a 13 month year or specifying that a year is only 12 months.

The 52 week year, is one of the biggest reasons I set the Book of Enoch to the side. The other one was where it claimed that cows were descended from angelic beings. Now I read from some site on the internet that the Book of Enoch claims that Enoch is the Son of Man who will reign over all creation. That is very troubling for those of us who understand that Christ is the one who will enter the presence of the ancient of Days, and to whom all authority will be given, and who will be worshipped forever.

This is the first I've heard about the cow thing... But the Son of Man thing is a misunderstanding of the text. It doesn't claim that Enoch is the Son of Man.

That's because there isn't one
You really ought to avoid using universal negatives because it assumes that you have the entirety of all available knowledge. I can respect the original claim that one is not aware of any such argument, but I don't respect such claims that assume that you know everything there is to know.

This is the first I've heard about the cow thing... But the Son of Man thing is a misunderstanding of the text. It doesn't claim that Enoch is the Son of Man.
I must respectfully disagree. There is no misunderstanding of what was written. There was an attempt on the part of one translator to make it look like the text was not talking specifically about Enoch being the Son of Man, but that is an attempt on the part of the translator to massage the text.

13 month years are not unbiblical. There is nothing in scripture prohibiting a 13 month year or specifying that a year is only 12 months.
It was this portion of the quote that I was objecting to
as it remains sick and dysfunctional giving unbibical 29 day months and
Sounds like he has grasped at straws there. I would never object to a 13 month year, because I have seen that indeed some years did have a 13th month, but that is also possible with a 29 and a half day moon cycle.

You really ought to avoid using universal negatives because it assumes that you have the entirety of all available knowledge. I can respect the original claim that one is not aware of any such argument, but I don't respect such claims that assume that you know everything there is to know.

Genesis 2:3
Then God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it, because in it He rested from all His work which God had created and made.

Exodus 20:9-11
Six days you shall labor and do all your work, [10] but the seventh day is a sabbath of the LORD your God; in it you shall not do any work, you or your son or your daughter, your male or your female servant or your cattle or your sojourner who stays with you. [11] For in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, the sea and all that is in them, and rested on the seventh day; therefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day and made it holy.

The Sabbath is the seventh day. Work 6 days and rest on the seventh perpetually that's the command. Nothing in scripture supports a lunar Sabbath it isn't there. It must be read into the text. The lunar Sabbath breaks the 7th day command. If it were based on the moon it would be clearly stated in the Torah probably multiple times.

Last edited:
It was this portion of the quote that I was objecting to

Sounds like he has grasped at straws there. I would never object to a 13 month year, because I have seen that indeed some years did have a 13th month, but that is also possible with a 29 and a half day moon cycle.

Ah got it. But again I see nothing in scripture prohibiting a 29 day month...

Nothing in scripture supports a lunar Sabbath it isn't there.
Nothing in the texts that you cited, but a Lunar sabbath doesn't go against those texts either, and as you yourself stated...
I see nothing in scripture prohibiting a 29 day month...

Nothing in the texts that you cited, but a Lunar sabbath doesn't go against those texts either, and as you yourself stated...
It would be a lengthy post to quote every Sabbath command in the Torah. None of them even hint at lunar Sabbath. Even if every month were A 29 day month it breaks the 7 day cycle once a month every month. It doesn't work and it isn't supported by the Bible anywhere.

It would be a lengthy post to quote every Sabbath command in the Torah. None of them even hint at lunar Sabbath. Even if every month were A 29 day month it breaks the 7 day cycle once a month every month. It doesn't work and it isn't supported by the Bible anywhere.
Well of course half of the months would be 30 day months whereas the other half would be 29 days. I cringe when I see someone use one of those Universal negative such as when you say "None of them", because all it takes is one verse to prove that wrong. It would be more honest, I would think, to say that you are not aware of any verses that hint at a Lunar Sabbath. That is just from an outsider's perspective, as I don't believe that I have any skin in the game, so to speak.

Of course the 29 day or 30 day month does break the cycle, which is exactly the point that the Lunar Sabbatarians are making. We in the Evangelical community would argue that they are making a mountain out of a molehill, as our perspective is that just because someone worships on a particular day of the week, doesn't at all mean that they are worshipping Lucifer or a Sun god. I find it interesting that in Latin for the word "Sunday", they use a word that is similar to their word for "Lord", so a lot of folks who try to say that people who worship on Sunday are worshipping a sun god, well, that only works in English, and perhaps some Nordic languages from whence English is derived.

When I lived in the DFW metro area, we attended a large mega-church that offered both Saturday night and Sunday morning services. There were two reasons for that, and it had nothing to do with worshipping on the Sabbath, which wouldn't work anyway, since the Shabbat is over by sundown. We had just moved into a new larger building that did not have room for accommodations for all the small groups on Sunday, and we wanted to expand our outreach to reach people in the community who had jobs where they had to work on Sundays. I suppose that might also be a good reason to expand to Saturday mornings as well, but they had a lot of sports outreach that was going on at that time.

Even if every month were A 29 day month it breaks the 7 day cycle once a month every month.
That’s the part that I had never considered.
Adjustments that break clear Scripture.

Well of course half of the months would be 30 day months whereas the other half would be 29 days. I cringe when I see someone use one of those Universal negative such as when you say "None of them", because all it takes is one verse to prove that wrong. It would be more honest, I would think, to say that you are not aware of any verses that hint at a Lunar Sabbath. That is just from an outsider's perspective, as I don't believe that I have any skin in the game, so to speak.

Of course the 29 day or 30 day month does break the cycle, which is exactly the point that the Lunar Sabbatarians are making. We in the Evangelical community would argue that they are making a mountain out of a molehill, as our perspective is that just because someone worships on a particular day of the week, doesn't at all mean that they are worshipping Lucifer or a Sun god. I find it interesting that in Latin for the word "Sunday", they use a word that is similar to their word for "Lord", so a lot of folks who try to say that people who worship on Sunday are worshipping a sun god, well, that only works in English, and perhaps some Nordic languages from whence English is derived.

When I lived in the DFW metro area, we attended a large mega-church that offered both Saturday night and Sunday morning services. There were two reasons for that, and it had nothing to do with worshipping on the Sabbath, which wouldn't work anyway, since the Shabbat is over by sundown. We had just moved into a new larger building that did not have room for accommodations for all the small groups on Sunday, and we wanted to expand our outreach to reach people in the community who had jobs where they had to work on Sundays. I suppose that might also be a good reason to expand to Saturday mornings as well, but they had a lot of sports outreach that was going on at that time.
The Sabbath has nothing to do with “worshipping”. Anyone can “worship” any day they want.

The Sabbath is a commanded day of rest when we are commanded to do no work or any commerce, to not be journeying or kindle a fire.

It is also never once in the whole Bible connected with a lunar cycle.

The other one was where it claimed that cows were descended from angelic beings.

Really where? I'm liking it more already.

The Sabbath has nothing to do with “worshipping”.

"Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy"

Keeping a holy day is a form of worship. A very common one among many different faiths.

The other one was where it claimed that cows were descended from angelic beings.

Well this grabbed my attention since (mostly for my love of cows, who certainly tend to be angelic or satanic at various times).

And ya, I don't know how you got that from this. This is from the Book of Enoch (starting in Chapter 85), it's dream, a vision where the history of man from Adam to Judgement is recounted in an animal allegory. Some call it the Animal Apocalypse. It's a Messianic prophecy. Far from crazy, it's rather transparent. And prophetic, which is fun considering even the secularists date this document to well before Christ.

https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/The_Book_of_Enoch_(Charles)/Chapter_85

Back