• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Me? Obey Him?

Love

Hello Ladies!
I have purchased a book off Amazon that looks really good. It is called "Me? Obey Him?: The Obedient Wife and God's Way of Happiness and Blessing in the Home" by Elizabeth Rich Handford. For those of us who grew up without godly role models, I am always on the lookout for solid teaching for women. My own mother was particularly domineering and so I am thankful that in this "information age" God has provided so many resources for those who desire to "reparent" themselves. One of the things I like about this book is that there is nothing in it that is not based on God's word. If any of you would like to join me in reading this book, you can get a used copy from Amazon for under two bucks.

Description :
Elizabeth Rich Handford uses God's Word to present the reason for a wife's subjection to her husband. She shows how the husband and wife relationship is the foundation for a happy and godly home. And at the same time, she shows how a submissive wife is not an inferior partner.

Blessings,
Love

Thanks for the book recommendation! This sounds like a great book. My hubby and I have been talking about issues within this topic for a long time. I'll see if I can get a copy and join you. Looks like the beginning of a book club :)

Thanks for the book recommendation ! I grew up in the same kind of family. I would also recommend "Created to be his helpmeet" by Debi Pearl.
Blessings,
Fairlight

Greetings Ms.Love!

I also would like to thank you for this book recommendation! :D I too have been trying to get my hands on, and my heart & brain wrapped around Godly instructions to help me be the woman/wife & mother of God that He's calling me to be. Of course the bible is our first & Best set of Godly instructions for how to be biblically balanced-Submissive-obedient & Sweet helpmeet's to our dh's. I also was not raised in a Christian home, nor did I receive any direction for my life on any level. But God however is so sweet, faithful & just to help us replace & restore the years that the locus have stolen! :)

Again thank you for sharing this wise & valuable information with us, as I'm eager to purchase this particular book and all others regarding this very important topic! Take care, God be with thee, guide thee & bless thee.

Warm Wishes,
Faithful Servant :)

FS,
Thank you SO much for your words of encouragement and affirmation. Part of the reason I love this forum is because we all seem to be headed in the same direction, on the same page and seeking to obey God above all else.

Fairlight, Did you do the artwork that is by your name? If so, what amazing artistic talent you have! I hope you will share more of your work with us.

Wifeone, a book club would be fun! Sign me up!

With love,
Love

Morning Ladies! :D

Have we all had our first cup of coffee, tea, etc yet? I'm still working on my first cup, so my brains not on full working mode just yet! :lol: Anywho, just wanted to chime in once again on this amazing post full of wisdom & fun! Love Ms.Love's book recommendation, Becca Blues shared thoughts and Fairlight's beautiful art work as well! I especially am looking forward to some kind of a book club/part on line ladies bible study, on Biblical Balanced Wifely Submission and any on Godly plural marriage books. :)

Who wants to do the research and jump in to get this up and running? Let me know if and how I could possibly help out in this area on some level. Have a Great God led day, doing our best to stay on the path that He places each one of us on! Going along in His Might & Power, being a blessing & being blessed in return according to the motives of our hearts! :)

Warm Wishes,
Sisters in Christ,

Faithful Servant :)

Hi FS,
I will take the lead on this one...for those of you would like to join us in a study of this book together ...Amazon.com has it for .38 and 1.99. If you cannot order a copy off Amazon and would like to participate, please PM me and I will send you a free copy. When all of our books have arrived we can read the first chapter and I will throw some discussion questions out there.
FS, if others are interested, I can open a room on Yahoo or Paltalk once a week for a Ladies Bible study. I know God will bless our desire to follow His will in this area. I will be praying for each of you as you read and study,
Love

I know I have a copy of this in my house somewhere. I will locate it and join in.

SweetLissa

IMPORTANT SIDE NOTE: Books always come with their fair share of Good reviews and Bad reviews. No matter what the reviews are, I encourage everyone to read books for themselves, and to draw their own conclusions as they study and pray. I have noticed that this particular book is quite controversial. Some people love it and some people absolutely hate it. Some people's reviews contradict what other reviews say. Thats why I like to go straight to the source for things.
Here-say never washes in my book. This book will surely challenge us and make for some VERY interesting conversation! :)

I remember seeing ths book on my parent's bookshelves. I've heard good things about it but never read it myself. If I can get it (life) together I'll try to join in!

I remember seeing this book on my parents' bookshelves. I've heard good things about it but never read it myself. If I can get it (life) together I'll try to join in!

I personally would be a little bored if the book didn't have at least a little controversy. I expect some lively discussion, laughter and lots of sharing with this one! The author, Libby, said that she wrote the book in 1972 and then went back in 1994 to revise as the times had changed...and what she discovered, she said, was that no revisions were necessary because God's word had not changed. I look forward to exploring with you guys....I was thinking after the holidays to give everyone a chance to pick up the book.

Hugs,
Love

Count me in on the book club. This sounds like a wonderful way to study. I've never been involved in a book club before, so I'm pretty excited about this.

Michelle

I would very much be interested in both the book club idea and a weekly bible study. Let me know time and place and I will definitely join ya!

Lindsay

I would very much be interested in both the book club idea and a weekly bible study. Let me know time and place and I will definitely join ya!

Lindsay

This is great you guys! I have found out that we have friends who have extra copies of this book...so be sure and PM me if you need one and I will mail it to ya!

Love

Hi Love
While I am an artist, I did not do the drawing on my avatar. The sketch is based on a painting by Dante Gabriel Rossetti. I just thought it was pretty. :)
I think a Bible study & Book club are great ideas !
Blessings,
Fairlight

I'll participate the next go round. I have read that book but checked and apparently gave my copy away/passed it along a while back and don't see it and no telling where it ended up. Since we are trying to pare down in case we end up moving, I should not buy another copy right now (I'm on book grounding for a while... LOL).

Becca

i read the book oh a million years or so ago. (probably in the early 80's) i found most of it very good. if i recall though i think it says you should obey your husband even if he wants you to sin. i may be wrong on that point though. i can't agree with that part, but on a whole i thought the book was good.

Hi dory! Welcome! I'm glad you have already read the book...we look forward to your input in our discussions next month! With a book such as this, my vote is to pull out the gems that are supported by God's word and use them to bless our families and gracefully disregard any personal opinion that we do not agree with.
Thanks for sharing...we look forward to getting to know you!

Back