• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Online dating…pointless??

So I’m on multiple dating sites & I’m starting to think it’s pointless. Some of the questions I’ve been asked are absolutely disgusting. These guys are looking for some crazy stuff. I’m interested in a real long term relationship. Come on people get off the crazy train. Are there any normal people looking into polygyny?? I’m starting to think not.
Have you been on www.Polygamy.com or www.sisterwives.com ? I have met some nice people and some nut jobs! But if you are seeking like-minded individuals or couples this is a place to start. My experience is this.... Most dating sites do not allow the finer side of people to come through. I still like the old fashioned way of meeting people through friends. Broaden your friend group. When you meet someone get them vetted by friends and people you know and trust. Don't jump to quickly. Take your time to get to know people. If you have never dated in the poly community DO NOT RUSH! KNOW EXACTLY WHO AND WHAT YOU ARE CHOOSING. It isn't an easy life and you want to know that you will be valued and loved. Get to know exactly who your covering will be. Seek Adonai first in all you do. Develop a good relationship with Him and He will Guide you.

@NationBuilder1, I think you are confusing "betrothal" with "engagement". You are describing "engagement" - an intention to marry that can be called off at any point as it is informal - and calling it "betrothal".

In a society that practices betrothal, it is a serious deal. It is when formal agreements are made, money sometimes changes hands, ownership of the woman changes from her father to the husband. And this is why a betrothed woman is treated essentially identically to a married woman when it comes to sex in scripture. She belongs to the husband, any sex with anyone else is adultery, unfaithfulness to the man she is formally pledged to.

In our culture, this is most similar to the wedding ceremony. If a virgin couple have a wedding, say vows and so forth, from that moment on we call them "married" (inaccurately). If she ran off with the best man later that afternoon, we would consider her an adulteress - even though she has not yet slept with her husband. That night, they will consummate the union and become truly married, but we still recognise them as bound together from the time they made a formal agreement to be bound.

That formal agreement is betrothal. The only difference is that in our culture it lasts for a period of a few hours (between the wedding and first sex), while in ancient cultures it could last for years.

Awesome explanation,Samuel.
Sometimes my ability to communicate is severely lacking.
That formal agreement is betrothal. The only difference is that in our culture it lasts for a period of a few hours (between the wedding and first sex), while in ancient cultures it could last for years.
Boom!
I had never seen it that way, but it is perfect!

So I’m on multiple dating sites & I’m starting to think it’s pointless. Some of the questions I’ve been asked are absolutely disgusting. These guys are looking for some crazy stuff. I’m interested in a real long term relationship. Come on people get off the crazy train. Are there any normal people looking into polygyny?? I’m starting to think not.
Best site I have found is Christian Cafe.com so far

Back