• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Prayer request Peace in world

A prayer for a return to the status quo?

What if these things are sent by the Almighty to upset the balance and tear down the old in order to make way for new?

What if, instead, we pray that His will be done, that He would bring glory to His Name in all these situations, the advancement of His Kingdom and a widespread return to Him, that He would send mercy and protection to those who have something good in their hearts towards Him and that He would confound every evil plot and plan and bring wisdom for righteousness and repentance to the leaders and peoples of the world.

I feel we need to start praying more for peace and deescalation in world.

Currently there is talk of sending European troops in Ukraine. France is leading way.

I don't thing we need more death and war in world. Remember, both are Christ's enemies.
Do you really think that Yah is going to violate the will of the people involved?

Only on this forum could praying for peace be a point of contention...
Yes, and I'm not going to just laugh about it, because it's actually a serious problem. I can't believe I'm now about to basically write a sermon on something that is so foundational it should go without saying.

Peace is so close to God that the greatest blessing in all of scripture is "peace". The word is everywhere, and is most commonly used as a blessing. This is the heart of God - and should be the genuine desire of our hearts also. A desire for peace is a marker of God's people - and a desire for war is a marker of evil. Now, obviously, sometimes peace is not possible without first going through war, sometimes war is necessary to achieve peace. There is a time for war. But don't cherrypick that one verse and imagine it overrides the vast bulk of scripture, which preaches peace over and over again. War is only a tool to achieve peace, and is not something that should ever be desired in itself.

We serve the Prince of Peace (Isaiah 9:6). He warns us that in the short term he will bring not peace, but a sword (Matthew 10:34). Yet His end goal is eternal peace. (Ezekiel 37:26, Psalm 37:11), and even gives us peace today (John 14:27). If we pursue wisdom, we will achieve peace (Proverbs 3:17, 16:7, James 3:17-18). If we pursue righteousness, we will achieve peace (Isaiah 32:17). If we have the Holy Spirit, we will achieve peace (Galatians 5:22).

"Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God." (Matthew 5:9)

Now, because war does occur, we are warned against false prophets who tell us that we will have peace, when there will actually be war. A prophet who predicts "peace" when there is no peace is a false prophet. (e.g. Ezekiel 13:8-10). But we are never warned against desiring peace. Rather we are commanded to desire and even pray for peace. (Psalm 122:6, Jeremiah 29:7, 1 Peter 3:10-11). Even while preparing for war, we should call for peace (e.g. 1 Ch 12:18). And when God seeks to bless us, his most repeated blessing is "peace" (e.g. Luke 2:14).

Praying for peace is never controversial.

Now the God of peace be with you all. Amen. (Romans 15:33)

Woe is me ...
My soul hath long dwelt with him that hateth peace.
I am for peace: but when I speak, they are for war. (Psalm 120:5-7)

Yes, and I'm not going to just laugh about it, because it's actually a serious problem. I can't believe I'm now about to basically write a sermon on something that is so foundational it should go without saying.

Peace is so close to God that the greatest blessing in all of scripture is "peace". The word is everywhere, and is most commonly used as a blessing. This is the heart of God - and should be the genuine desire of our hearts also. A desire for peace is a marker of God's people - and a desire for war is a marker of evil. Now, obviously, sometimes peace is not possible without first going through war, sometimes war is necessary to achieve peace. There is a time for war. But don't cherrypick that one verse and imagine it overrides the vast bulk of scripture, which preaches peace over and over again. War is only a tool to achieve peace, and is not something that should ever be desired in itself.

We serve the Prince of Peace (Isaiah 9:6). He warns us that in the short term he will bring not peace, but a sword (Matthew 10:34). Yet His end goal is eternal peace. (Ezekiel 37:26, Psalm 37:11), and even gives us peace today (John 14:27). If we pursue wisdom, we will achieve peace (Proverbs 3:17, 16:7, James 3:17-18). If we pursue righteousness, we will achieve peace (Isaiah 32:17). If we have the Holy Spirit, we will achieve peace (Galatians 5:22).

"Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God." (Matthew 5:9)

Now, because war does occur, we are warned against false prophets who tell us that we will have peace, when there will actually be war. A prophet who predicts "peace" when there is no peace is a false prophet. (e.g. Ezekiel 13:8-10). But we are never warned against desiring peace. Rather we are commanded to desire and even pray for peace. (Psalm 122:6, Jeremiah 29:7, 1 Peter 3:10-11). Even while preparing for war, we should call for peace (e.g. 1 Ch 12:18). And when God seeks to bless us, his most repeated blessing is "peace" (e.g. Luke 2:14).

Praying for peace is never controversial.

Now the God of peace be with you all. Amen. (Romans 15:33)

Woe is me ...
My soul hath long dwelt with him that hateth peace.
I am for peace: but when I speak, they are for war. (Psalm 120:5-7)
And Hebrews 12:14, Pursue peace with all people, and holiness, without which no one will see the Lord.

While I hear what y'all are saying, sometimes one must deal with the Nazis to purchase a measure of peace. I would not characterize the years even before Oct 7th and the Ukraine invasion by Russia as "peace". We have seen the holocaust of babies around the world in the name of women's rights. We've seen the push of lgbtqia+ agendas in every possible sphere and especially targeting our children. We've seen political attacks on Christians' rights to not be compelled into speech which violates their conscience before God.

Peace? No. This isn't peace. Nor do I seek a return to this status quo. Further, there are other verses which show another side of the coin in Scripture.

Deut 23:3-6
Deut 25:17-19
Ex 15:3
Matthew 10:34

The war started long before the shooting, but peace hasn't been the state of things for far longer.

I, too, long for peace. True peace. However, that doesn't mean I don't recognize that the road to it often requires making war on Amalek. Nor do I fail to recognize that this is how He sometimes sets the stage to teach us to fight against evil like men.

How about as a middle ground we pray for people to repent, because if everyone repents and we all become good, we'll have peace in the world. :) hahaha
Yes
There is no peace without righteousness.

Isn't that basically what repentance is, turning away from evil, turning to the Lord, and seeking righteousness?
Of course, you didn’t recognize my agreement with the statement?

While I hear what y'all are saying, sometimes one must deal with the Nazis to purchase a measure of peace. I would not characterize the years even before Oct 7th and the Ukraine invasion by Russia as "peace". We have seen the holocaust of babies around the world in the name of women's rights. We've seen the push of lgbtqia+ agendas in every possible sphere and especially targeting our children. We've seen political attacks on Christians' rights to not be compelled into speech which violates their conscience before God.

Peace? No. This isn't peace. Nor do I seek a return to this status quo. Further, there are other verses which show another side of the coin in Scripture.

Deut 23:3-6
Deut 25:17-19
Ex 15:3
Matthew 10:34

The war started long before the shooting, but peace hasn't been the state of things for far longer.

I, too, long for peace. True peace. However, that doesn't mean I don't recognize that the road to it often requires making war on Amalek. Nor do I fail to recognize that this is how He sometimes sets the stage to teach us to fight against evil like men.
No, you don't have. You aren't under direct attack.

This post reveals disturbing lack of faith. Condition is general on this forum.

So many are unable to just pray for peace (and drop their warloving ways). Will Lord allow injustice not to go unpunished? Will Lord be lazy in punishing aggresors?

Stop being Christian baby and thinking you must Lord's work instead of him. It's not your job to punish evil people (especially ones far away from you!).

So, it's only okay to attack someone, even a believing brother, if they do something worse than warmongering and trans-ing our kids...like, say, state something you disagree with on the internet?

Precious.

So, it's only okay to attack someone, even a believing brother, if they do something worse than warmongering and trans-ing our kids...like, say, state something you disagree with on the internet?

Precious.
I don't understand what you are trying to say.

What is wrong with very strong preference for peace?

So many are unable to just pray for peace (and drop their warloving ways). Will Lord allow injustice not to go unpunished? Will Lord be lazy in punishing aggresors?

I love to pray for peace.

But don't let the false God of the 1960's "God Is Love" generation fool you. Those people are fools and they are false prophets.

The God of Abraham called His people to war when it was needed.

Plenty of tribes and kingdoms fell before the Israelite sword. Hittites, Amorites, Philistines, Canaanites, Samaritans, all faced conquest by the Israelites.

When the Israelites conquered Jericho did they offer peace? No, they slaughtered EVERYONE.

So no, God is not lazy in dealing with injustice or evil. But He often commands us to be His people and to do His will in dealing with such things.

I love to pray for peace.

But don't let the false God of the 1960's "God Is Love" generation fool you. Those people are fools and they are false prophets.

The God of Abraham called His people to war when it was needed.

Plenty of tribes and kingdoms fell before the Israelite sword. Hittites, Amorites, Philistines, Canaanites, Samaritans, all faced conquest by the Israelites.

When the Israelites conquered Jericho did they offer peace? No, they slaughtered EVERYONE.

So no, God is not lazy in dealing with injustice or evil. But He often commands us to be His people and to do His will in dealing with such things.
We aren't under attack. So it's peace time.

And God is Love.

Back