• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Peeling The Onion- My Story

Layer Three- My Flaws

This is a tremendously beautiful and beautifully-written installment. Your experience certainly mirrors the dominant experiences of my own wife.

Layer Three- My Flaws

Thank you @WifeOfHisYouth, and keep them coming!

This resonates for me. Christie liked to watch "Big Love" when we had HBO. It was a fictional drama but I'm very literal so I couldn't get past the irrational parts of the story to get into the overall story. There was way too much unnecessary drama in it.

Start with having three houses all with a common backyard in a city. Like no one will notice this? No one will notice the same man at all three homes? No one will notice the three families acting as one when they go shopping, take kids to school, or stuff like that?

And then the fights between the wives were ridiculous and petty. Why did any of them get into this if they hate it so much?

I never watched anything else on TV about poly after that unless it was a pure documentary and then most of those are wrong on too many things. Like they go in with assumptions about the life and look for proof to support their assumptions. Instead of just looking at it honestly and finding out that there are just as many differences between poly families as there are between monogamous families.
Samuel and I read the book Sister Wives together, written by the wives of Kody Brown from the tv show. It's a good thing I was already accepting of PM, because reading that book made it seem awful. When I think back, I think it was just that it was really clear that Kody was not a good leader and seemed pretty insensitive at times. I've never seen the tv show.

I did not understand how men think. Men do not think the way we as women do. They can look at the beautiful assets in one woman and see the other -and different- beautiful assets in another woman without comparing one to the other. Men like variety, different flavors, so to speak. One woman doesn’t make another look bad. One isn’t more valuable than the next. It is not just the physical characteristics he is looking at, either. Women can be completely different and he can see how they complete the whole picture- together.
A very mature conclusion. Thank you, @WifeOfHisYouth, for sharing.

Samuel and I read the book Sister Wives together, written by the wives of Kody Brown from the tv show. It's a good thing I was already accepting of PM, because reading that book made it seem awful. When I think back, I think it was just that it was really clear that Kody was not a good leader and seemed pretty insensitive at times. I've never seen the tv show.
Just wondering, and this is a question to every woman: if you had a chance back when you were single to watch an hypothetical television show that would fully demonstrate the extent of your potential mate's strengths and weaknesses as a leader -- you know, like a dream in which you could see the future between the two of you -- how many of you would approve enough of his leadership skills to go ahead and marry him in a non-poly marriage?

My point is that I think we hear too much criticism of men in marriages -- and then feel justified in amplifying that for men in plural marriages. It's far too acceptable from our judgmental perches to provide negative commentary about how a man is running his home, whereas it's almost verboten to assign any blame to the women therein. Again, this isn't personally directed at you, Sarah, but it was the following phrase that got me thinking:
It's a good thing I was already accepting of PM, because reading that book made it seem awful.
When a woman makes an assertion like that, what exactly does it imply? To whatever degree one was or wasn't accepting of plural marriage, and even based on however one even defines 'acceptance' (i.e., does one accept that polygyny is biblically permissible but simultaneously wouldn't stand for it occurring with one's own husband), what is inherent in a phrase like,
It's a good thing
?

Isn't that a phrase that almost begs an "or else?"

The question I'm throwing out there is: exactly what is a woman implying when she says that it's a good thing that xyz didn't happen, because . . . ? Maybe it's just me, but it comes across like a veiled threat or an indication that it wouldn't take much for one's 'acceptance' to evaporate.

Once again, @FollowingHim2, this isn't directed to you. I'm just using your post as a foil for something I often wonder, even though it couldn't apply to you in particular; you're the head of our Women's Ministry and frequently advise women in these public threads to discover the bright side of polygyny, but if even you use phrases like that, I'm thinking it's probably worthwhile for all of us to examine how the manner in which we speak may be contributing to the self-fulfilling nature of condemning polygyny -- and this is important, because polygyny is a perfectly legitimate family-structure option, but it already has to swim upstream against the cultural current and doesn't need the added obstacle of having us undermine it if we're actually sincere supporters.

Even the unfulfillable expectation that all plural husbands be clones of Christ before they receive our approval is an impediment to all plural marriages.

No, Julie is. I'm on the forum more, but she does loads off the forum.
Oh, sorry; I stand corrected. That wasn't meant to slight Julie. I guess, mostly because there's no way I can know what either of you do off the site, I just had the impression that you were lead woman on that.

Layer Four - Until Death Do Us Part
Not only did I think my relationship with my husband was shattering, but so was my faith in God.

*Disclaimer- I know that not all of my emotions or thoughts were based on truth and my emotions very much led my heart at this point in my journey. This is the raw place I was in... God has had a lot to teach me. I know not all wives experience this and I am thankful! However, those of us that have or are currently in it, I understand.

One layer at a time, thanks for walking with me.

Last edited:

*Disclaimer- I know that not all of my emotions or thoughts were based on truth and my emotions very much lead my heart at this point in my journey. This is the raw place I was in... God has had a lot to teach me. I know not all wives experience this and I am thankful! However, those of us that have or are currently in it, I understand.

Thank you for permitting us to view your journey. The writing is awesome, and if you aren't writing from having journaled along the way, you have a tremendous memory, @WifeOfHisYouth.

One typo: needs a 't' on 'this': "that his desire of his" in the 3rd line of the 5th paragraph.

Thank you for permitting us to view your journey. The writing is awesome, and if you aren't writing from having journaled along the way, you have a tremendous memory, @WifeOfHisYouth.

One typo: needs a 't' on 'this': "that his desire of his" in the 3rd line of the 5th paragraph.
Thank you. I started digging into my memory and writing this blog series last August. The ah-ha from layer seven, what I call The Other Woman, is what really started my need to write down the previous things I had wrestled with and where I was at that time. I had the thought that maybe I would share it, one day, or just keep it for my own reflection/growth. But, through posting it and re-reflecting on my journey, I’ve realized God is still using it to show me new things, He’s still working on my heart and I’ve gained an even deeper appreciation for my man. :)

—— thanks! Typo fixed.

*Disclaimer- I know that not all of my emotions or thoughts were based on truth and my emotions very much lead my heart at this point in my journey. This is the raw place I was in... God has had a lot to teach me. I know not all wives experience this and I am thankful! However, those of us that have or are currently in it, I understand.

Once again I must thank you for all you have shared. I needed this to better understand a woman's perspective in this journey. Very much appreciated. Shalom

Once again I must thank you for all you have shared. I needed this to better understand a woman's perspective in this journey. Very much appreciated. Shalom
This is why I value it so highly as well.

Layer Five - Then, There Was... HER

For the first time, in my plural journey, I thought of someone else’s needs and saw the potential blessings of plural marriage; instead of focusing, only, on the things I believed I was losing.

Really great! Thank you so much for sharing such emotion.

There were several pieces that shined bright for me in reading Layer Five. One of my favorite gems was “…A man has a natural desire to love, provide and protect…” and how you described plural marriage meeting the needs and strengthening both men and women. Beautifully written.

This blog posts only reveal part of damage caused by egalitarianism. This belief assumes other prople are like me, so therefore they think like me.

No wonder women have problem when husband says he wants another wife. She thinks I don't want another husband, therefore he is either crazy or something is wrong with me.

Layer Six - The Unraveling
I didn’t want to let go of the future I had hoped for- he and I- just the two of us. I had never imagined that I would be facing the idea of it being he, me... and she. When we became three.

Back