• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Prayer against Polygamy

I

interesting! Where’s the scripture to back the claims? It appears as though the authority for all claims comes from a book. But NO scripture. Sad.
I ask these anti-polys where the Scripture is to back up their claims, and time and time again, all I hear back is crickets.

You've gotta love the cartoon used to depict polygynous wives, as miserable, while the husband, is aloof!

In the comments section, this woman named Jan Lewis asks for a prayer to combat the spirit of those of us who argue in favor of polygamy. She even calls out biblicalpolygamy.org! The gall of some of these folks!

In case it is not immediately obvious, that is being written in the Nigerian context. Humorous read. A lot of non-Christian religious influences even as he associates polygamy with witchcraft.

There seems to be some disconnect here. In another thread I asked for scriptural backing for the claim of the existence of a “jezebel spirit”. The responses that where given stated that there is such a thing and that this spirit has certain characteristics and ways of working. There may exist such a spirit, who knows, but the only confirmation of these things do not come from scripture, they come from dreams, visions, and personal experiences. But, now we have a problem because someone is claiming that there is a demonic entity that is the spirit of polygamy, based on their own experiences. Everyone here who has demanded scriptural backing for such a claim, is absolutely in the right to ask that question. But, shouldn’t we also ask it in regards to personal experiences concerning other things?

But, now we have a problem because someone is claiming that there is a demonic entity that is the spirit of polygamy, based on their own experiences. Everyone here who has demanded scriptural backing for such a claim, is absolutely in the right to ask that question. But, shouldn’t we also ask it in regards to personal experiences concerning other things?
I believe that claim was in the article referenced at the beginning of this thread. The writer of the article only used a book he read for his claims. Not the Bible. The writer used mans logic instead of the scriptures. That’s the way I understand it.

There seems to be some disconnect here. In another thread I asked for scriptural backing for the claim of the existence of a “jezebel spirit”. The responses that where given stated that there is such a thing and that this spirit has certain characteristics and ways of working. There may exist such a spirit, who knows, but the only confirmation of these things do not come from scripture, they come from dreams, visions, and personal experiences. But, now we have a problem because someone is claiming that there is a demonic entity that is the spirit of polygamy, based on their own experiences. Everyone here who has demanded scriptural backing for such a claim, is absolutely in the right to ask that question. But, shouldn’t we also ask it in regards to personal experiences concerning other things?

There is a difference between using experience to fill in the holes in scripture about our understanding of the spiritual world and calling a just biblical concept witchcraft.

You have to understand the context. In Africa the Christians pushed monogamy but polygamy was practiced by the Islamists and the native religions.

Lol, nice.

I believe that claim was in the article referenced at the beginning of this thread. The writer of the article only used a book he read for his claims. Not the Bible. The writer used mans logic instead of the scriptures. That’s the way I understand it.
Which is what he's saying it looks like was done with the Jezebel spirit. It's not in the Bible. There are spirits listed but not that one. It feels the same to some of us.

Which is what he's saying it looks like was done with the Jezebel spirit. It's not in the Bible. There are spirits listed but not that one. It feels the same to some of us.
Understood. But we use expressions all the time. For instance, in an old 50’s/60’s sir com, Ralph Cramden would get upset with his wife and tell her “to the moon Alice!” Not to be taken literally that he was going to knock her to the moon. It was a phrase that allowed the listeners to know he was upset. The spirit of forgiveness is also in the category of not being a spirit. At least not to my knowledge. But I understand. You’re a literalist, nothing wrong with that.

Understood. But we use expressions all the time. For instance, in an old 50’s/60’s sir com, Ralph Cramden would get upset with his wife and tell her “to the moon Alice!” Not to be taken literally that he was going to knock her to the moon. It was a phrase that allowed the listeners to know he was upset. The spirit of forgiveness is also in the category of not being a spirit. At least not to my knowledge. But I understand. You’re a literalist, nothing wrong with that.
It’s more than just an expression for a lot of christians, as evidenced by some of the responses on the other thread. There are incantations that people use against the Jezebel spirit, just like they have listed in the article about the polygamy spirit. Which begs the question, should christians be using incantations in spiritual warfare? That’s not a scripturally prescribed method, is it?

Back