• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Prayer against Polygamy

Understood. But we use expressions all the time. For instance, in an old 50’s/60’s sir com, Ralph Cramden would get upset with his wife and tell her “to the moon Alice!” Not to be taken literally that he was going to knock her to the moon. It was a phrase that allowed the listeners to know he was upset. The spirit of forgiveness is also in the category of not being a spirit. At least not to my knowledge. But I understand. You’re a literalist, nothing wrong with that.
My concern is that there are real spirits listed in Scripture and at best we could be confusing some people. I totally get that it's a greag way to communicate a complex topic. But I think I would prefer to just the woman is a Jezebel. It sounds less like it's not her fault.

It’s more than just an expression for a lot of christians, as evidenced by some of the responses on the other thread. There are incantations that people use against the Jezebel spirit, just like they have listed in the article about the polygamy spirit. Which begs the question, should christians be using incantations in spiritual warfare? That’s not a scripturally prescribed method, is it?
I’ve never heard about using incantations in spiritual warfare. You kinda stumped me on that one. :) Just my personal belief, but I wouldn’t try it. I’ve never seen any scriptural reference for us to do that. I’d stay away from that kind of teaching.

I guess the only thing that really comes to mind is
2 Corinthians 10:3–5
dFor the weapons eof our warfare are not 1carnal but fmighty in God gfor pulling down strongholds, hcasting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ,

We all know we fight a spiritual war all the time. The PM issue has been and us under attack as we all know. Ignorance of the scriptures is one of our biggest enemies.

Since our last talk, I’ve even been thinking about using more exact verbiage. I still don’t have a problem with the term Jezebel spirit, but as you pointed out, it’s not a scriptural term, and definitely not worth a rift between you and me. But, I’m still thinking it over. I might just not use it here.

I’ve never heard about using incantations in spiritual warfare. You kinda stumped me on that one. :) Just my personal belief, but I wouldn’t try it. I’ve never seen any scriptural reference for us to do that. I’d stay away from that kind of teaching.

dFor the weapons eof our warfare are not 1carnal but fmighty in God gfor pulling down strongholds, hcasting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ,

We all know we fight a spiritual war all the time. The PM issue has been and us under attack as we all know. Ignorance of the scriptures is one of our biggest enemies.

Since our last talk, I’ve even been thinking about using more exact verbiage. I still don’t have a problem with the term Jezebel spirit, but as you pointed out, it’s not a scriptural term, and definitely not worth a rift between you and me. But, I’m still thinking it over. I might just not use it here.

You are quite right that there is a spiritual battle going on. Satan traffics in lies (and has from the beginning) and the only way for us to not be lead astray is to know the truth. In 2 Corinthians, when Paul was talking about going to Corinth he was preparing face the false teachers who were seducing the Corinthians and claiming that Paul was not very spiritual. The spiritual weapons Paul was referring to, were the truths of Scripture of Christ.

I agree that PM is under attack. The enemy hates God, and so, it’s no wonder that he hates God’s divine order of creation and the way that God has structured the order of marriage. Satan has subtly undermined marriage structure in the church. It would appear that the way he did it was by convincing people that it was a “new teaching” of The Holy Spirit toward the end of the second century (see Tertullian’s “on monogamy”). Christians, it seems, bought it, instead of going to scripture and saying hey!! Wait a second, that’s not what Scripture says!

The incantations i was refering to were the ones in the article. There were, i think, over a hundred special phrases you’re supposed to speak to the “spirit of polygamy”. I have seen, in christian books on spiritual warfare, almost the exact same types of lists of things that you’re supposed to speak to evil spirits of all varieties. Their purpose is to supposedly “break strongholds in your life”. As far as I can tell they all come from somewhere other than Scripture.

You can use the term “jezebel spirit” as long as it’s just a figure of speach... just don’t start talking TO it, man ;) lol

I pray that God would open our eyes and help us to understand His Holy Scriptures and that He will by His Holy Spirit lead us into all truth.

You can use the term “jezebel spirit” as long as it’s just a figure of speach... just don’t start talking TO it, man ;) lol
Too funny My told me to tell you, that I did not marry a Jezebel. We both laughed.

You talked about Satan trafficking lies, no kidding. The oddest thing I’ve seen is how people put the blame on Satan when it was there own lack of biblical knowledge and/or the problem was created by themselves. Sometimes we create our own problems and give Satan the credit for it.

God has been taking me back to basics for the last year+. It has been liberating, eye opening and odd. :) But, I keep plugging away.

I guess one of the oddest things I’ve seen, is as I get closer in the truths of what Hod says, my relationship with my wife gets better. No complaints there.

You talked about Satan trafficking lies, no kidding. The oddest thing I’ve seen is how people put the blame on Satan when it was there own lack of biblical knowledge and/or the problem was created by themselves. Sometimes we create our own problems and give Satan the credit for it.

Hey it’s natural, man, Eve did it! Haha

That might be part of the reason why God gave the Law at Mount Sinai. “Now we know that what things soever the law saith, it saith to them who are under the law: that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God. Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.”
Romans 3:19-20 KJV

When the sunlight of God’s holy Law begins to pierce into the wick, blackened, disgusting heart of a man and his sin and wretchedness is laid bare, it gets harder and harder to point the finger. Finally the man cries out, have mercy on me oh God, I’M the sinner!!!

God has been taking me back to basics for the last year+. It has been liberating, eye opening and odd. :) But, I keep plugging away.

I guess one of the oddest things I’ve seen, is as I get closer in the truths of what Hod says, my relationship with my wife gets better. No complaints there.

“Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed; And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.”
John 8:31-32 KJV

Speaking of incantations, it is useful to know that it is common in occult circles, esp. witches, to speak incantations that are wholly made up of quotes from our holy scriptures.

I'm sorry Phillip, but I am going to have to adamantly disagree with you. Having grown up in the Pentecostal and Charismatic movements I can assure you that those movements use incantations frequently and ardently.

I'm sorry Phillip, but I am going to have to adamantly disagree with you. Having grown up in the Pentecostal and Charismatic movements I can assure you that those movements use incantations frequently and ardently.

I think that is broad statement. I would consider myself generally aligned with the charismatic thought and have never heard of incantations being used, unless your referring to prayer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Zec, I guess I was a little more sheltered. Kind of a blessing in some ways.

I’ve seen stupid stuff in churches, just not incantations. Sometimes, I wonder why we don’t have more miracles taking place today. I have heard blatant misrepresentations of the scripture, this ministry shedding light on a grave misrepresentation of scripture. One of these days, I’d really like Jesus-stuff being done in our churches. (I hope no one took offense to the term Jesus-stuff) maybe the church can start out with the first fruit of the Spirit - Love. Wouldn’t that be a kick in the head.

Hey Zec, I guess I was a little more sheltered. Kind of a blessing in some ways.

I’ve seen stupid stuff in churches, just not incantations. Sometimes, I wonder why we don’t have more miracles taking place today. I have heard blatant misrepresentations of the scripture, this ministry shedding light on a grave misrepresentation of scripture. One of these days, I’d really like Jesus-stuff being done in our churches. (I hope no one took offense to the term Jesus-stuff) maybe the church can start out with the first fruit of the Spirit - Love. Wouldn’t that be a kick in the head.
You have heard incantations many times. Think about every time you've seen some guy jump up and down and shout "fire!" over and over? How many times have you heard the same phrase or string of nonsensical syllables repeated over and over? You've heard it a lot. If it's not present in a Pentecostal service they are concerned and desperately seek it. You've seen it. I've seen it. We've all seen it.

I wondered that too, for a long time, until I realized that the disciples didn’t work up to it. Christ just did it through them because it was his will. If He wanted us to be doing it today He would just do it. The reason it would seem that the “Jesus stuff” was happening then was because God wanted to show us who He was using to writing scripture. But, love, we can do that :)

You have heard incantations many times. Think about every time you've seen some guy jump up and down and shout "fire!" over and over? How many times have you heard the same phrase or string of nonsensical syllables repeated over and over? You've heard it a lot. If it's not present in a Pentecostal service they are concerned and desperately seek it. You've seen it. I've seen it. We've all seen it.

Hey you didn't mention speaking in tongues.

If it's not present in a Pentecostal service they are concerned and desperately seek it. You've seen it. I've seen it. We've all seen it.
Ok, now I know what you’re talking about. Just so you know, I do pray in tongues, but you’ll never hear me. It’s between God and me. I use it when I need to pray about something but haven’t got a clue how to pray. But, like I said, it’s private.

Even saying that, I know what you mean. I’ve been in services like your description and wanted to leave. I felt very uncomfortable. Kind of an oxymoron, I believe in speaking in tongues and have felt uncomfortable around those that do it. I hate it when you feel like you’re at the show and there are those that want to show how spiritual they are.

Back