• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Prayer against Polygamy

Ok, now I know what you’re talking about. Just so you know, I do pray in tongues, but you’ll never hear me. It’s between God and me. I use it when I need to pray about something but haven’t got a clue how to pray. But, like I said, it’s private.

Even saying that, I know what you mean. I’ve been in services like your description and wanted to leave. I felt very uncomfortable. Kind of an oxymoron, I believe in speaking in tongues and have felt uncomfortable around those that do it. I hate it when you feel like you’re at the show and there are those that want to show how spiritual they are.
Tongues are a thing, just not the way they're practiced in most churches.

And I'm supposed to be staying out of controversy right now. But we're probably not far apart on the issue.
Too funny. Yep, we gotta figure a way of keeping you out of controversy. I’ve been reading your posts on marriage and you have some things I want to learn. I’ve stayed away from those posts cause I’m trying to catch up on some things. When I finally reach a certain comfort level about it, I plan on joining in. So, stay nice until I get there so you’ll be there when I’m ready.

You’re about as bull headed as some of the guys I worked with at Blackwater. Good guys, but very stubborn. It worked well in the war zone.

In what way is that information useful to christians?

I think i may have missed your point, sorry if i did.

So I said that in the context of Christians using incantations or similar things. My point is, the servants of the devil use incantations and ones composes wholely of Christian scriptures.So just because something seems Christian, is done up with Christian content, doesn't mean its good. So be careful. I can't say for certain it's wrong but I'm highly dubious. Our prayer should be more like conversation and entreaty to God; not like casting spells.

I have had the tongues discussion with my wife. I find it interesting that atheist Dan Barker claims that he can still speak in tongues.

^^^Yep. As far as I can tell, Marcion used this (and love potions) to gather a harem of otherwise sane (usually married) women.

Ken Johnson has a book where he traces its roots back to pagan temple worship pre Christ. Haven’t read the book, just the cover but I found that interesting.

Literal love potions? Is that a real thing?

Who needs love potions, when you can employ body language? To quote from the Princess bride:

That day, she was amazed to discover that when he was saying "As you wish," what he meant was, "I love you." And even more amazing was the day she realized she truly loved him back.​

Who needs love potions, when you can employ body language? To quote from the Princess bride:

That day, she was amazed to discover that when he was saying "As you wish," what he meant was, "I love you." And even more amazing was the day she realized she truly loved him back.​

Yes, but I am not left handed.

Back