• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

The Lamb, Passover, and Yeshua

1 Corinthians 5:7
Get rid of the old hametz, so you may be a new batch, just as you are unleavened—for Messiah, our Passover Lamb, has been sacrificed.

So doesn't that mean that the last supper could not possibly have been a Passover feast?

Well a couple of those have some glaring flaws... You did a great job of finding ones that disagree with each other lol I'm actually not convinced that any of them are correct...

So doesn't that mean that the last supper could not possibly have been a Passover feast?
It depends on how one reads the time line some will make the case for others against. I do know that until that Passover He observed Passover because to not do goes against Torah and if He broke Torah then He would not be without blemish. All I can say is that the scriptures as I understand show a Passover death so to which would mean the last supper was a foreshadow of events to come. In the end whether some ones reading of the time line says that he observed Passover or not doesn't change that he was our Passover Lamb as scripture says. There are others who have a better understanding of the time line.

https://www.differencebetween.com/difference-between-passover-and-vs-last-supper/

This was also discussed on this thread Timing of the Crucifixion and Resurrection

I’m sure this will sound like a broken record, . .. but there were at least 6 sacrifices offered on Passover between the 14th at even and the 15th at even. All of which Christ exampled along with several feast references like Sukkot and Rosh Hoshannah during the Passover week.

Meat offering
Drink offering
Sin offering
Trespass offering
Burnt offering
Firstfruits offering
And Barley offering (may be included in firstfruits)

All had to be offered within a 24 hour period and anything remaining at the end of the period had to be destroyed

He also exampled the Day of Atonement sacrifice with the scapegoat sacrifice. Jesus Barabas or Jesus of Nazareth.
And he also exampled the sacrifice of the red heifer

Kevin's scripture is a good one that I have to deal with. I can't find the other offerings in scripture. Do you have a reference ?

I’d have to look them up. Off the top of my head Exodus 13. Leviticus 1-7. Do a word search for firstborn, firstfruits. Perhaps Leviticus 23

Daniel 9:27 is also an interesting rabbit trail
And he shall confirm the covenant with many for one week: and in the midst of the week he shall cause the sacrifice and the oblation to cease,

Look into the Hebrew behind the bold phrasing The zebach and minchah

Leviticus 9 is good also but specifically Leviticus 7:37&38 is a recap of the first seven chapters. My understanding is that these were specifically a Passover sacrifice (zebach) and the oblation (minchah) was the meat offering and the drink offerings ( Pascha meal)

I’d have to look them up. Off the top of my head Exodus 13. Leviticus 1-7. Do a word search for firstborn, firstfruits. Perhaps Leviticus 23

Daniel 9:27 is also an interesting rabbit trail
And he shall confirm the covenant with many for one week: and in the midst of the week he shall cause the sacrifice and the oblation to cease,

Look into the Hebrew behind the bold phrasing The zebach and minchah

Leviticus 9 is good also but specifically Leviticus 7:37&38 is a recap of the first seven chapters. My understanding is that these were specifically a Passover sacrifice (zebach) and the oblation (minchah) was the meat offering and the drink offerings ( Pascha meal)
I haven't been able to connect them to Passover yet.

Just a note about the time of the passover.
The time may not matter much to a timeless creator, as much as the hearts of the people purposing to turn back to Him.

There is an interesting story in 2 Chronicles that I really love. The backstory starts in chapter 28 with a wicked king. But then in 29 his son who perhaps learned from his father's mistakes began to reign, and he cleansed the temple and exhorted the remnant of the people to turn back to YHWH. In chapter 30 Hezekiah proclaims a passover and the people kept it, but not at the appointed time. People even ate it that were not set apart as they should have been. Then they kept the feast of unleavened bread ....and added an extra week. In Chapter 31 idols were destroyed and in chapter 32 Sennacherib invades Jerusalem and YHWH fought the battle for them.

In these chapters I find so much to build faith, inspire, and learn from. I think they are super worth reading. It's like a condensed instruction in the problem, (turning away) and a roadmap out to being in the blessings again.

Just a note about the time of the passover.
The time may not matter much to a timeless creator, as much as the hearts of the people purposing to turn back to Him.

There is an interesting story in 2 Chronicles that I really love. The backstory starts in chapter 28 with a wicked king. But then in 29 his son who perhaps learned from his father's mistakes began to reign, and he cleansed the temple and exhorted the remnant of the people to turn back to YHWH. In chapter 30 Hezekiah proclaims a passover and the people kept it, but not at the appointed time. People even ate it that were not set apart as they should have been. Then they kept the feast of unleavened bread ....and added an extra week. In Chapter 31 idols were destroyed and in chapter 32 Sennacherib invades Jerusalem and YHWH fought the battle for them.

In these chapters I find so much to build faith, inspire, and learn from. I think they are super worth reading. It's like a condensed instruction in the problem, (turning away) and a roadmap out to being in the blessings again.
Thank you for pointing back to 2 Chronicles. Its been a moment since I read it. I enjoyed rereading it. I remember there's a Gematria midrash about renewal of faith and submission from it that I also enjoyed. I'm going to try and find that and post it. Unless someone else does it first. Hint @IshChayil ;)

Where any of them are explicitly commanded to be performed in connection to Passover.

Passover begins at evening on the 14th and ends at the evening on the 15th day. Passover begins with the meat and drink offering, otherwise known as the Pascha meal or oblation. Most people think that this is all there is to the Passover and they couldn’t be more wrong. This is why Jesus could observe the Passover meal and still be our Passover with his death.

The fifteenth day (Passover) was also the High Sabbath when the firstfruits were commanded to be brought and sacrificed, ergo the sacrifice of firstfruits. It was also the beginning of the feast of unleavened bread. Any and all sacrifices associated with these three overlaid references are a Passover sacrifice.

Reread the passages mentioned with that understanding and you should be able to see it. There are more passages regarding this but Ive given you more than enough info to be able to chase it down from here.

Some of the sacrifices are utilized in other feasts as well (like the sin, burnt and trespass offerings) but as best I can tell were observed at each of the big three feasts. Passover, Pentecost and Tabernacles. The scapegoat sacrifice was exclusively a Day of Atonement sacrifice.

Passover begins at evening on the 14th and ends at the evening on the 15th day.

This is the part I don’t see support for. My understanding is that the Passover is specifically the lamb. And more broadly defined as the meal including all of the specifics eaten at sundown on the 14th leading into the 15th. It is not a day. Another variation would be the meal is eaten at the beginning of the 14th day and not the end. But either way it is not a day it’s a Lamb.

Lev. 23:4,5

Last edited:
The fifteenth day (Passover) was also the High Sabbath when the firstfruits were commanded to be brought and sacrificed,

This is another thing I’m confused about. My understanding is that firstfruits is on the day after the weekly sabbath following the Passover event. So if Passover is on a Monday then Tuesday is a high sabbath starting unleavened bread then you have the weekly sabbath on Saturday and then firstfruits is on Sunday and then Monday is another high sabbath to end the week of unleavened bread. Lev. 4:6-14

Last edited:

Passover begins at evening on the 14th and ends at the evening on the 15th day. Passover begins with the meat and drink offering, otherwise known as the Pascha meal or oblation. Most people think that this is all there is to the Passover and they couldn’t be more wrong. This is why Jesus could observe the Passover meal and still be our Passover with his death.

The fifteenth day (Passover) was also the High Sabbath when the firstfruits were commanded to be brought and sacrificed, ergo the sacrifice of firstfruits. It was also the beginning of the feast of unleavened bread. Any and all sacrifices associated with these three overlaid references are a Passover sacrifice.

Reread the passages mentioned with that understanding and you should be able to see it. There are more passages regarding this but Ive given you more than enough info to be able to chase it down from here.

Some of the sacrifices are utilized in other feasts as well (like the sin, burnt and trespass offerings) but as best I can tell were observed at each of the big three feasts. Passover, Pentecost and Tabernacles. The scapegoat sacrifice was exclusively a Day of Atonement sacrifice.
Yes, the scriptures saying this is what I'm looking for. I haven't been able to find the chapter and verse yet. I'm not disputing the claim I just haven't found it yet.

This is another thing I’m confused about. My understanding is that firstfruits is on the day after the weekly sabbath following the Passover event. So if Passover is on a Monday then Tuesday is a high sabbath starting unleavened bread then you have the weekly sabbath on Saturday and then firstfruits is on Sunday and then Monday is another high sabbath to end the week of unleavened bread. Lev. 4:6-14

This is wrong. Exodus 12 and 13 are very specific that firstfruits are to be sacrificed on the day following the Passover meal.

This is wrong. Exodus 12 and 13 are very specific that firstfruits are to be sacrificed on the day following the Passover meal.

Those passages don’t give the specific command regarding the timing for the ongoing observance of it. Lev. 23 does...

To make it easier.

Leviticus 23

Biblical Feasts

23 Then Adonai spoke to Moses saying: 2 “Speak to Bnei-Yisrael, and tell them: These are the appointed moadim of Adonai, which you are to proclaim to be holy convocations—My moadim.

3 “Work may be done for six days, but the seventh day is a Shabbat of solemn rest, a holy convocation. You are to do no work—it is a Shabbat to Adonai in all your dwellings.

Pesach and Feast of Matzot
4 “These are the appointed feasts of Adonai, holy convocations which you are to proclaim in their appointed season. 5 During the first month, on the fourteenth day of the month in the evening, is Adonai’s Passover. 6 On the fifteenth day of the same month is the Feast of Matzot to Adonai. For seven days you are to eat matzah. 7 On the first day you are to have a holy convocation and you should do no regular work. 8 Instead you are to present an offering made by fire to Adonai for seven days. On the seventh day is a holy convocation, when you are to do no regular work.”

Bikkurim and Shavuot
9 Adonai spoke to Moses saying: 10 “Speak to Bnei-Yisrael and tell them: When you have come into the land which I give to you, and reap its harvest, then you are to bring the omer of the firstfruits of your harvest to the kohen. 11 He is to wave the omer before Adonai, to be accepted for you. On the morrow after the Shabbat, the kohen is to wave it. 12 On the day when you wave the omer you are to offer a male lamb without blemish, one year old, as a burnt offering to Adonai. 13 The grain offering with it should be two tenths of an ephah of fine flour mixed with oil—an offering made by fire to Adonai for a soothing aroma. Its drink offering with it should be a quarter of a gallon of wine. 14 You are not to eat bread, roasted grain, or fresh grain until this same day—until you have brought the offering of your God. It is a statute forever throughout your generations in all your dwellings.

15 “Then you are to count from the morrow after the Shabbat, from the day that you brought the omer of the wave offering, seven complete Shabbatot. 16 Until the morrow after the seventh Shabbat you are to count fifty days, and then present a new grain offering to Adonai. 17 You are to bring out of your houses two loaves of bread for a wave offering, made of two tenths of an ephah of fine flour. They are to be baked with hametz as firstfruits to Adonai. 18 You are to present, along with the bread, seven one-year-old lambs without blemish, one young bull, and two rams. They will become a burnt offering to Adonai, with their meal offering, and their drink offerings, an offering made by fire, a sweet aroma to Adonai. 19 Also you are to offer one male goat for a sin offering and a pair of year-old male lambs for a sacrifice of fellowship offerings. 20 The kohen is to wave them with the bread of the firstfruits as a wave offering before Adonai, with the two lambs. They shall be holy to Adonai for the kohen. 21 You are to make a proclamation on the same day that there is to be a holy convocation, and you should do no regular work. This is a statute forever in all your dwellings throughout your generations.

22 “Now when you reap the harvest of your land, you are not to reap to the furthest corners of your field or gather the gleanings of your harvest. Rather you are to leave them for the poor and for the outsider. I am Adonai your God.”

Fall Festivals
23 Adonai spoke to Moses saying: 24 “Speak to Bnei-Yisrael, saying: In the seventh month, on the first day of the month, you are to have a Shabbat rest, a memorial of blowing (shofarot), a holy convocation. 25 You are to do no regular work, and you are to present an offering made by fire to Adonai.”

26 Adonai spoke to Moses, saying: 27 “However, the tenth day of this seventh month is Yom Kippur, a holy convocation to you, so you are to afflict yourselves. You are to bring an offering made by fire to Adonai. 28 You are not to do any kind of work on that set day, for it is Yom Kippur, to make atonement for you before Adonai your God. 29 For anyone who does not deny himself on that day must be cut off from his people. 30 Anyone who does any kind of work on that day, that person I will destroy from among his people. 31 You should do no kind of work. It is a statute forever throughout your generations in all your dwellings. 32 It is to be a Shabbat of solemn rest for you, and you are to humble your souls. On the ninth day of the month in the evening—from evening until evening—you are to keep your Shabbat.”

33 Adonai spoke to Moses saying: 34 “Speak to Bnei-Yisrael, and say, On the fifteenth day of this seventh month is the Feast of Sukkot, for seven days to Adonai. 35 On the first day there is to be a holy convocation—you are to do no laborious work. 36 For seven days you are to bring an offering by fire to Adonai. The eighth day will be a holy convocation to you, and you are to bring an offering by fire to Adonai. It is a solemn assembly—you should do no laborious work.

37 “These are the moadim of Adonai, which you are to proclaim to be holy convocations, to present an offering by fire to Adonai—a burnt offering, a grain offering, a sacrifice and drink offerings, each on its own day, 38 besides those of the Shabbatot of Adonai and besides your gifts, all your vows and all your freewill offerings which you give to Adonai.

39 “So on the fifteenth day of the seventh month, when you have gathered in the fruits of the land, you are to keep the Feast of Adonai for seven days. The first day is to be a Shabbat rest, and the eighth day will also be a Shabbat rest. 40 On the first day you are to take choice fruit of trees, branches of palm trees, boughs of leafy trees, and willows of the brook, and rejoice before Adonai your God for seven days. 41 You are to celebrate it as a festival to Adonai for seven days in the year. It is a statute forever throughout your generations—you are to celebrate it in the seventh month. 42 You are to live in sukkot for seven days. All the native-born in Israel are to live in sukkot, 43 so that your generations may know that I had Bnei-Yisrael to dwell in sukkot when I brought them out of the land of Egypt. I am Adonai your God.”

44 So Moses declared to Bnei-Yisrael the moadim of Adonai.

Back