• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

The Lamb, Passover, and Yeshua

Exodus 12:6 And ye shall keep it up until the fourteenth†day of the same month: and the whole assembly of the congregation of Israel shall kill it in the evening. (after the 14th day not the 13th day)

6:11 And thus shall ye eat it; with your loins girded, your shoes on your feet, and your staff in your hand; and ye shall eat it in haste: it is the LORD’S passover.
For I will pass through the land of Egypt this night, and will smite all the firstborn in the land of Egypt, both man and beast; and against all the gods of Egypt I will execute judgment: I am the LORD.

6:14 And this day shall be unto you for a memorial; and ye shall keep it a feast to the LORD throughout your generations; ye shall keep it a feast by an ordinance for ever.
Seven days shall ye eat unleavened bread; even the first day ye shall put away leaven out of your houses: for whosoever eateth leavened bread from the first day until the seventh day, that soul shall be cut off from Israel.
And in the first day there shall be an holy convocation,

6:17 And ye shall observe the feast of unleavened bread; for in this selfsame day have I brought your armies out of the land of Egypt: therefore shall ye observe this day in your generations by an ordinance for ever.

Numbers 33:1-3 These are the journeys of the children of Israel, which went forth out of the land of Egypt with their armies under the hand of Moses and Aaron.
And Moses wrote their goings out according to their journeys by the commandment of the LORD: and these are their journeys according to their goings out.
And they departed from Rameses in the first month, on the fifteenth†day of the first month; on the morrow after the passover the children of Israel went out with an high hand in the sight of all the Egyptians.

Exodus 13:2-4 Sanctify unto me all the firstborn, whatsoever openeth the womb among the children of Israel, both of man and of beast: it is mine.
And Moses said unto the people, Remember this day, in which ye came out from Egypt, out of the house of bondage; for by strength of hand the LORD brought you out from this place: there shall no leavened bread be eaten.
This day came ye out in the month Abib.

Exodus 13:14,15 And it shall be when thy son asketh thee in time to come, saying, What is this? that thou shalt say unto him, By strength of hand the LORD brought us out from Egypt, from the house of bondage:
And it came to pass, when Pharaoh would hardly let us go, that the LORD slew all the firstborn in the land of Egypt, both the firstborn of man, and the firstborn of beast: therefore I sacrifice to the LORD all that openeth the matrix, being males; but all the firstborn of my children I redeem.

It’s all the same day. The Passover meal is held on the evening that begins the 15th day, which also begins the feast of unleavened bread, which also is the day that the firstfruits of both man and beast are sacrificed on/for, which is also the day that the LORD delivered them from Egypt.

It’s impossible to have the Passover meal on the evening of the 13th day/beginning of the 14th day because Numbers 33 specifically states that they left on the 15th on the morrow after the Passover. IF it were true (Passover on the 13th eve) then you’ve gotta come up with an extra day and night between the Passover night and the Exodus from Egypt. Exodus 12:30-39 makes it clear that was not the case.

26 Adonai spoke to Moses, saying: 27 “However, the tenth day of this seventh month is Yom Kippur, a holy convocation to you, so you are to afflict yourselves. You are to bring an offering made by fire to Adonai. 28 You are not to do any kind of work on that set day, for it is Yom Kippur, to make atonement for you before Adonai your God. 29 For anyone who does not deny himself on that day must be cut off from his people. 30 Anyone who does any kind of work on that day, that person I will destroy from among his people. 31 You should do no kind of work. It is a statute forever throughout your generations in all your dwellings. 32 It is to be a Shabbat of solemn rest for you, and you are to humble your souls. On the ninth day of the month in the evening—from evening until evening—you are to keep your Shabbat.

This is a perfect example of the reckoning of the days, it is just exampled for us re Day of Atonement, but the same figure of speech is used re Passover as well.

The Day of Atonement begins on the 9th day at even . . . . . And ends at the 10th day at even. The 10th is the holy convocation, not the ninth. Likewise the Passover begins on the 14th day at even . . . . .and ends at the 15th day at even, which is when they come out of Egypt. This is why the feast of unleavened bread is on a day that is a holy convocation, as well as the Passover.

Yes, the scriptures saying this is what I'm looking for. I haven't been able to find the chapter and verse yet. I'm not disputing the claim I just haven't found it yet.

Exodus 12:27-30. The actual “Passover” didnt occur til midnight. Almost 6 hours after the Passover meal that was a foreshadowing of faith in the blood.

Exodus 12:6 And ye shall keep it up until the fourteenth†day of the same month: and the whole assembly of the congregation of Israel shall kill it in the evening. (after the 14th day not the 13th day)
Twilight not evening in Hebrew. ha·'ar·ba·yim. הָעַרְבָּֽיִם׃

Its important phrasing because twilight is between days. Not midnight.

The moment the sun goes down and it becomes dark

Timeline that's others thing. Words and their meaning is mine. Just saying.

6:11 And thus shall ye eat it; with your loins girded, your shoes on your feet, and your staff in your hand; and ye shall eat it in haste: it is the LORD’S passover.
For I will pass through the land of Egypt this night, and will smite all the firstborn in the land of Egypt, both man and beast; and against all the gods of Egypt I will execute judgment: I am the LORD.

6:14 And this day shall be unto you for a memorial; and ye shall keep it a feast to the LORD throughout your generations; ye shall keep it a feast by an ordinance for ever.
Seven days shall ye eat unleavened bread; even the first day ye shall put away leaven out of your houses: for whosoever eateth leavened bread from the first day until the seventh day, that soul shall be cut off from Israel.

6:17 And ye shall observe the feast of unleavened bread; for in this selfsame day have I brought your armies out of the land of Egypt: therefore shall ye observe this day in your generations by an ordinance for ever.

Numbers 33:1-3 These are the journeys of the children of Israel, which went forth out of the land of Egypt with their armies under the hand of Moses and Aaron.
And Moses wrote their goings out according to their journeys by the commandment of the LORD: and these are their journeys according to their goings out.
And they departed from Rameses in the first month, on the fifteenth†day of the first month; on the morrow after the passover the children of Israel went out with an high hand in the sight of all the Egyptians.

Exodus 13:2-4 Sanctify unto me all the firstborn, whatsoever openeth the womb among the children of Israel, both of man and of beast: it is mine.
And Moses said unto the people, Remember this day, in which ye came out from Egypt, out of the house of bondage; for by strength of hand the LORD brought you out from this place: there shall no leavened bread be eaten.

Exodus 13:14,15 And it shall be when thy son asketh thee in time to come, saying, What is this? that thou shalt say unto him, By strength of hand the LORD brought us out from Egypt, from the house of bondage:
And it came to pass, when Pharaoh would hardly let us go, that the LORD slew all the firstborn in the land of Egypt, both the firstborn of man, and the firstborn of beast: therefore I sacrifice to the LORD all that openeth the matrix, being males; but all the firstborn of my children I redeem.

It’s all the same day. The Passover meal is held on the evening that begins the 15th day, which also begins the feast of unleavened bread, which also is the day that the firstfruits of both man and beast are sacrificed on/for, which is also the day that the LORD delivered them from Egypt.

It’s impossible to have the Passover meal on the evening of the 13th day/beginning of the 14th day because Numbers 33 specifically states that they left on the 15th on the morrow after the Passover. IF it were true (Passover on the 13th eve) then you’ve gotta come up with an extra day and night between the Passover night and the Exodus from Egypt. Exodus 12:30-39 makes it clear that was not the case.

Yes this tells us which day the Passover is to be observed on but the Passover isn’t the day it’s the Lamb.

Firstfruits is not observed the same day as Passover it’s observed the day after the sabbath.

Leviticus 23:10-12
[10] "Speak to the sons of Israel and say to them, 'When you enter the land which I am going to give to you and reap its harvest, then you shall bring in the sheaf of the first fruits of your harvest to the priest. [11] He shall wave the sheaf before the LORD for you to be accepted; on the day after the sabbath the priest shall wave it. [12] Now on the day when you wave the sheaf, you shall offer a male lamb one year old without defect for a burnt offering to the LORD.

That is specifically talking about the firstfruits of the harvest. Not the firstfruits sacrifice.

There is also a specific firstfruits feast day which is Pentecost. Where the firstfruits of wheat are offered and the common Israelite gets to partake of the firstfruits of wine from the previous fall harvest. This is not to be confused with the firstfruits of Passover with the sacrifice of the firstborn and the subsequent firstfruits of barley offering and wine for the priests from the previous fall harvest.

Yes this tells us which day the Passover is to be observed on but the Passover isn’t the day it’s the Lamb.
Actually, its both. As well as a meal.

Exodus 12:27-30. The actual “Passover” didnt occur til midnight. Almost 6 hours after the Passover meal that was a foreshadowing of faith in the blood.

Numbers 18:8-19 is very revealing once you understand that the firstfruits of the flock, the firstfruits of the oil and wine are specifically to be eaten by the priests on the 15th. Only a sprinkling of blood and the fat from each animal are to be burned, the rest is to be eaten by the male priests in the most holy place. Can you even imagine how much of a feast that must have been? The very best of the flocks, wine, oil (and corn?) from the year before! And its a priests only Passover feast. Now . .plug this info into John 18:28 where the servants and officers of the temple wouldn’t go into Pilate’s hall so they wouldn’t be defiled and kept from eating the feast of Passover on the day after the common man observed their Passover meal.

Matthew 1:25 And knew her not till she had brought forth her firstborn son: and he called his name JESUS.

Romans 8:29.32 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren. . . . He that† spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not with him also freely give us all things?
Colossians 1:15. Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature:

Exodus 34:19,20 All that openeth the matrix is mine; and every firstling among thy cattle, whether ox or sheep, that is male.
But the firstling of an ass thou shalt redeem with a lamb: and if thou redeem him not, then shalt thou break his neck. All the firstborn of thy sons thou shalt redeem. And none shall appear before me empty.

Christ was perfectly the substitutionary lamb, Sacrificed AS the firstborn, FOR the firstborn, exactly when the firstborn of the flocks were being sacrificed/eaten.

Compare this to Exodus 22:29. Thou shalt not delay to offer the first of thy ripe fruits, and of thy liquors: the firstborn of thy sons shalt thou give unto me. And ye shall be holy men unto me.

Notice in chapter 13 that there is substitution for sons. Chapter 19 @ Sinai God makes a covenant with them and says that they will be a nation of kings and priests (Melchizedek priesthood) In Chapter 22 there is no substitution mentioned for the firstborn. In Chapter 34 however, there is substitution for the firstborn. What’s the difference? Chapter 32. After this point, the Levitical priesthood is substituted for the firstborn priesthood Numbers 3:12,13

Joe I tend to agree that it’s the end of 14th beginning of 15th but even this is an assertion... that word “until” in the passage you quoted means up to but not necessarily including the 14th day. It’s perfectly legitimate to read this as taking place at the beginning of the 14th instead of the end.

Now there is some support for a gap day here between the Passover being eaten and the start of the high sabbath. Notice the leaven is suppose to be removed from the house on the first day. This would fit with the Passover being eaten at the start of the 14th which would give you the entire day to remove the leaven. It also allows time for when the Hebrews spoiled the Egyptians without them violating the sabbath. Again I’m not saying this is for sure but it is certainly possible.

And it still fits and actually begins to make more sense. The beginning of the 14th they eat the Lamb then they spoil the Egyptians and at sundown they exit Egypt beginning the 15th day...

They are sanctified on that day but where does it say they are sacrificed on that day? Perhaps another passage? I’m not saying you are for sure wrong but this is another assertion if this is your only supporting passage.

I just explained how it fits with the Lamb being eaten at the start of the 14th and not the end. Using only the passages that you provided. Again I’m not claiming I’m correct necessarily. But you have to back off on your claims to have this whole calendar figured out. This is a very in depth debate that has been going on for a very long time amongst extremely studied people. You could be right and you could be wrong. Same goes for me. We likely won’t get everything correct about it until Yeshua himself returns and sets us all straight.

This is wrong. Exodus 12 and 13 are very specific that firstfruits are to be sacrificed on the day following the Passover meal.
I'm sorry but I don't see the connection here. The redeeming of the first born male is connected to what happened with the first born in
Egypt but I don't see where it is tied to Passover. I think that is supposed to happen when the male is born. I am wondering if we are confusing this with the first fruits sacrifice that was tied to agriculture. I'm not seeing the connection, timing wise, right now with Passover of either.

This is the bridge too far, there is no command to do this on Passover, this is just the reasoning you are to give your sons when you do this as it happens.

If anyone interested in HaMatzah which today is the last day of:

Twilight 14th marks the beginning of Pesach. Twilight of the 15th of Nisan begins Hag HaMatzah (the Feast of Unleavened Bread), which is a high sabbath, a shabbaton. It is a seven day feast to Adonai. Twilight marks the following day after Pesach called Bikkurim (the Feast of First Fruits). The 1st day and 7th day of Hag HaMatzah are Sabbaths. Pesach is the barley harvest. Shavuot (Pentecost) is the wheat harvest. Both of these festivals are first fruits harvests before the final harvest that was to come at the end of the year during Sukkot (the festival of Tabernacles), which is the fruit harvest.

Fun Tradition: In cleaning the house, the wife is instructed to purposely leave ten small pieces of leaven (bread) in the house. Then the father takes the children, along with a candle, a wooden spoon, a feather, and a piece of linen cloth, and searches through the house for the ten pieces of leaven. By nightfall on the day before Passover (Pesach), a final and comprehensive search is performed. At this time, the house is completely dark except for the candles. Once the father finds the leaven (bread), he sets the candle down by the leaven and lays the wooden spoon beside the leaven. Then he uses the feather to sweep the leaven onto the spoon. Without touching the leaven, he takes the feather, spoon, and leaven, wraps them in a linen cloth, and casts them out of the door of the house. The next morning (the fourteenth of Nisan), he goes into the synagogue and puts the linen cloth and its contents into a fire to be burned.

Fun Fact: Yeshua’s place of birth, Bethlehem (Beit Lechem) means “House of Bread”.

for more info research Pesach (Passover)

some links
http://www.feastsofthelord.com/live/biblical-feasts/first-fruits/

Just a note about the time of the passover.
The time may not matter much to a timeless creator, as much as the hearts of the people purposing to turn back to Him.

There is an interesting story in 2 Chronicles that I really love. The backstory starts in chapter 28 with a wicked king. But then in 29 his son who perhaps learned from his father's mistakes began to reign, and he cleansed the temple and exhorted the remnant of the people to turn back to YHWH. In chapter 30 Hezekiah proclaims a passover and the people kept it, but not at the appointed time. People even ate it that were not set apart as they should have been. Then they kept the feast of unleavened bread ....and added an extra week. In Chapter 31 idols were destroyed and in chapter 32 Sennacherib invades Jerusalem and YHWH fought the battle for them.

In these chapters I find so much to build faith, inspire, and learn from. I think they are super worth reading. It's like a condensed instruction in the problem, (turning away) and a roadmap out to being in the blessings again.
I did some reason Numbers 9 shows that they didn't celebrate it in the wrong month per say but did as instructed for someone who was unlean at the time of Pesach.

Numbers 9:1-14

Second Month Passover

9 Adonai spoke to Moses in the Sinai wilderness in the first month of the second year after they had come out of the land of Egypt saying, 2 “Bnei-Yisrael is to observe Passover at its appointed time. 3 You are to celebrate it at its appointed time, at twilight on the fourteenth day of this month, with all its rules and regulations.”

4 So Moses told Bnei-Yisrael to observe Passover. 5 They celebrated Passover at twilight on the fourteenth day of the first month in the Sinai wilderness. In accordance with all that Adonai commanded Moses, so Bnei-Yisrael did.

6 However, there were some men who could not celebrate Passover because of being defiled by a dead body. So they came to Moses and Aaron on that same day, 7 and these men said to him, “We have become unclean because of a dead man’s body. Why should we be kept from presenting the offering of Adonai at the appointed time with the rest of Bnei-Yisrael?” 8 Moses answered them, “Wait, and I will inquire what Adonai commands concerning you.”

9 Then Adonai spoke to Moses saying, 10 “Say to Bnei-Yisrael saying: If any man, whether you or your descendants, becomes unclean because of a dead body, or is away on a long journey, he may yet observe Adonai’s Passover. 11 They are to celebrate it at twilight on the fourteenth day of the second month. With matzot and bitter herbs they are to eat it. 12 They are not to leave any of it until morning, or break any bones. When they celebrate Passover they are to observe all its regulations.

13 “But the person who is clean and not away on a journey, yet neglects to celebrate Passover, that soul shall be cut off from his people because that person did not present Adonai’s offering at the appointed time. That man will bear his sin.

14 “If an outsider living among you would celebrate Passover to Adonai according to the requirement, so he should do. There will be for you the same regulation for the outsider and the native of the land.’”

@Pacman and @Verifyveritas76 To aid your timeline debate the adjective 'ad translated as until has other meanings. Its a hard word to translate to English because the context that its used in may ways shows that its not a perfect match for any English word. The closest is against. Not in the sense of opposing, but in the sense of location. Such as I'm sitting with my back against the wall.

Can some make it so I can edit my post. Im getting frustrated not being able to. I mentioned it before. I would like to be able to correct misspelling and and when I for get to add a word or oversite when I change what Im saying and forget to delete a word. Also I would like the ability to add to my post when I forgot information that is pertinent to the understanding of what I said.

I'm sorry but I don't see the connection here. The redeeming of the first born male is connected to what happened with the first born in
Egypt but I don't see where it is tied to Passover. I think that is supposed to happen when the male is born. I am wondering if we are confusing this with the first fruits sacrifice that was tied to agriculture. I'm not seeing the connection, timing wise, right now with Passover of either.
The Passover meal is looking forward to the Passover event at midnight. The sanctification of the firstborn, as well as the sacrifice of the firstborn is a memorial (looking back) to the Passover event and day they were spared as well as the selfsame day that they came out of Egypt. Everything revolves around the 15th. Thats why its a high sabbath. It’s also the selfsame day that they entered or came into Egypt. It’s neither coincidence nor happenstance that the 15th is so important in the mow’eds.

The meal without the event is nothing. The sanctification and redemption without the event is nothing. Don’t confuse the importance of either with the catalyst of the event.

This is the bridge too far, there is no command to do this on Passover, this is just the reasoning you are to give your sons when you do this as it happens.

I’m trying to present this in a concise manner as much as I know how. I’m assuming you are actually reading and studying the passages around it and the context, not just reading the excerpts I’m posting.

As to defining the day of Passover, I see it as being on the 15th day. From the evening of the 14th to the evening of the 15th. The 15th is the Memorial Day where they left Egypt and the firstborn were spared. To sacrifice the firstborn on any other day would completely defeat the idea of that day being memorialized for that reason.

Exodus 34: 25, 26 Thou shalt not offer the blood of my sacrifice with leaven; neither shall the sacrifice of the feast of the passover be left unto the morning.
The first of the firstfruits of thy land thou shalt bring unto the house of the LORD thy God. Thou shalt not seethe a kid in his mother’s milk.

I’m of the opinion that the leaven was to be removed on the 10th day before the Lamb was brought into the house to be tested till the 14th day. I.e. no leaven in the house as long as the lamb is there as that would contaminate the lamb by the nature of leaven. Exodus 12 is written in such a way that it seems like a doubled command to be leaven free for seven days. I understand it as having no leaven in the house from the 10th til the 17th, final check for leaven on the 14th. Begin eating unleavened on the 15th thru the 21st. Two periods of 7 days that overlap @the 15th Basically, clean all the leaven out of the house before the lamb comes home, and then on the 14th before? the lamb is sacrificed go through and search for the little hidden specs of leaven so that there is no possibility of contamination of either the lamb or the sacrifice.

Though I have no conclusive smoking gun in Torah, I believe that confirmation of this view is found in the way Christ fulfilled Passover week with the way the lamb was chosen, tested and sacrificed. Think back to the sequence of events. Christ is chosen on the 10th, enters Jerusalem on the next day following the sabbath on a donkey (both a picture of firstfruits/firstborn) and the first thing he does is enter the House where he proceeds to cleanse it of leaven by clearing out the money changers. The house wasn’t ready for the lamb. Completes 4 days of testing in the House by the Pharisees, Sadducees, Herodians, Zealots, Scribes and elders who could find no fault in the lamb. Then at the Passover meal, he removes the last hidden piece of leaven (Judas) before finishing the ceremony.

Joe I tend to agree that it’s the end of 14th beginning of 15th but even this is an assertion... that word “until” in the passage you quoted means up to but not necessarily including the 14th day. It’s perfectly legitimate to read this as taking place at the beginning of the 14th instead of the end.

Now there is some support for a gap day here between the Passover being eaten and the start of the high sabbath. Notice the leaven is suppose to be removed from the house on the first day. This would fit with the Passover being eaten at the start of the 14th which would give you the entire day to remove the leaven. It also allows time for when the Hebrews spoiled the Egyptians without them violating the sabbath. Again I’m not saying this is for sure but it is certainly possible.

And it still fits and actually begins to make more sense. The beginning of the 14th they eat the Lamb then they spoil the Egyptians and at sundown they exit Egypt beginning the 15th day...

They are sanctified on that day but where does it say they are sacrificed on that day? Perhaps another passage? I’m not saying you are for sure wrong but this is another assertion if this is your only supporting passage.

I just explained how it fits with the Lamb being eaten at the start of the 14th and not the end. Using only the passages that you provided. Again I’m not claiming I’m correct necessarily. But you have to back off on your claims to have this whole calendar figured out. This is a very in depth debate that has been going on for a very long time amongst extremely studied people. You could be right and you could be wrong. Same goes for me. We likely won’t get everything correct about it until Yeshua himself returns and sets us all straight.

Do some studying on the history of the Passover eaten on the 13th day. Everything I’ve found originates with people realizing that the RCC narrative of Good Friday is flawed and then they try to reconcile the Passover with little to no knowledge of Jewish customs and equally faulty understanding of the first Passover and Torah in general. Any attempts to reconcile from this perspective will be flawed.

Most don’t factor in that the Passover is irrevocably tied to the full moon - which happens on the night of the 14/15th, not the 13th/14th.

They also have no concept that the 10th when they choose the lamb is a place marker, Day zero. The day when the lamb is chosen and initially examined in detail. Not a hurried eenie meenie mynee mo. They essentially would have to choose the lamb by noon on the tenth to be able to test for 4 days and begin the process of the sacrifice by noon on the 14th. Noon on the 11th marks the first full day, noon on the 12th the second and so on till noon on the 14th. This is why they must keep it up until the 14th day. Also keep in mind they are not counting off a calendar but from the day following the new moon when the barley first starts to show ripening = the first day of Nisan.

As to the idea that they came out on the fourteenth and a gap day, this is the result of someone somewhere trying to reconcile obvious scripture to a flawed benchmark. It’s rather difficult to insert a gap day into the selfsame day.

Exodus 12:51 And it came to pass the selfsame day, that the LORD did bring the children of Israel out of the land of Egypt by their armies.

Here’s an interesting excerpt from this portion of the Talmud http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/txt/bib/Talmud/Talmud04.html

[1.3] Rabbi Judah said, "men search on the eve of the fourteenth and on the morning of the fourteenth day, and at the time of burning it." But the Sages say, "if one did not search on the eve of the fourteenth, he must search on the fourteenth; if he did not search on the fourteenth, he must search during the feast; if he did not search during the feast he must search after the feast; and whatever remains, he shall leave well concealed, that there be no further need of search after it."

The feast comes at the end of the 14th day, not the beginning of the 14th.

[6.5] "The passover which was slaughtered without the proper intention on a Sabbath?" "The offerer of it is indebted for a sin-offering." "And all the other sacrifices which he slaughtered for the passover?"

Back