• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

What do you consider modesty on a woman? What makes a woman appear NOT modest?

This may not be about dressing modestly which I do do outside our home. Rather, I have a question about dressing inside the home alone with my husband.. he has told me that you would like it if I would sometimes greet him at the door, when he comes in from work, with me wearing a short skirt and stockings! That feels out of my comfort zone, should I get past that and do it anyway?
1000 freakin% you should do it.

Ask him to pick out what he wants to see on you, and do it with joy because HE says it's beautiful and amazing. To be blunt, your opinion on the matter means nothing if it matters to him. Just like your opinion on whether or not you are pretty enough to be called beautiful if HE says you are beautiful to him. What matters is not if I think I am acceptable to my Lord, what matters is what He calls me. I am to count myself according to His description of me.
Is this part of being submissive, dressing like this?
It is exactly part of being submissive. Think of him as your king and lord. If you were the subject of a king, and the king said he wanted you to dress up in only green dresses made by a certain dress maker. What would that woman of old do in response to the King's wishes... You'd see her wearing green dresses.
I have tried many times but I just feel silly,
hq720_2.jpg

if it means that much to him should I be finding a way to get beyond what feels comfortable to me?
You should ask him to tell you how you look when you do what he desires. And then tell yourself "*insert what he said* is what I am. I am not silly looking, I am *insert what he said*."

Why? Because his opinion matters more than your self criticism.

Embrace the beauty and joy that he is trying to bring into your marriage. Enjoy that wonder and glory when you see the joy and happiness on his face.

Ask him to pick out what he wants to see on you, and do it with joy because HE says it's beautiful and amazing.

I mentioned the sundress.

Your comment provokes why I wear sundresses.

Steve's first wife Shari was very rigid in her notions about what was modest and traditional. She drove the issue in the family and what we would wear were simple sheath dresses in a 1930's or 1940's style. They were very boring. They were also NOT FLDS-style 'prairie dresses'.

After she decided to leave things changed. The day she left Christie went out to see her off and Christie was wearing short-shorts and a tank top with no bra. :p

Then Steve mentioned how he'd always wanted to see us in sundresses. So then we wore them. He'd always wanted Shari to wear them and she always said no. He liked the bright colors as opposed to 'modest' browns and grays and he liked strapless.

And trust me on this, he really did like sundresses! :cool:

I mentioned the sundress.

Your comment provokes why I wear sundresses.
Exactly! @CatieF wears what I like to see and it honors me greatly. It demonstrates that she esteems me, has respect for my wishes, and wants to please me. Even when it makes her feel uncomfortable, or she thinks she's not good enough in whatever way to pull off what she wears. It doesn't matter if she thinks she's not good enough. I say she is, and I say she's HOT in what I like to see. TBH, a lot of it is the submission of doing what I want rather than what she wants that makes it so sexy.

For a woman to do something uncomfortable just because her man wants it done that way... Hotness.

So @Brenna, wear that skirt and stockings with gusto and blow his socks off! Trust me, you will both have a great day if you do!

I've long enjoyed wearing a sundress in the summer time. Which is arguably modest.

Here's what my husband knew is that when I would wear a sundress for him it was the only thing I was wearing. It was modest for anyone who happened to come by the ranch but in my husband's eyes it was sexier than wearing a fancy negligee. ;)
Was it also his favourite sundress?

I've long enjoyed wearing a sundress in the summer time. Which is arguably modest.

They might be modest but they also fall into the category of inflammatory
Here's what my husband knew is that when I would wear a sundress for him it was the only thing I was wearing. It was modest for anyone who happened to come by the ranch but in my husband's eyes it was sexier than wearing a fancy negligee. ;)

Called it

1000 freakin% you should do it.

Ask him to pick out what he wants to see on you, and do it with joy because HE says it's beautiful and amazing. To be blunt, your opinion on the matter means nothing if it matters to him. Just like your opinion on whether or not you are pretty enough to be called beautiful if HE says you are beautiful to him. What matters is not if I think I am acceptable to my Lord, what matters is what He calls me. I am to count myself according to His description of me.

It is exactly part of being submissive. Think of him as your king and lord. If you were the subject of a king, and the king said he wanted you to dress up in only green dresses made by a certain dress maker. What would that woman of old do in response to the King's wishes... You'd see her wearing green dresses.

View attachment 8048

You should ask him to tell you how you look when you do what he desires. And then tell yourself "*insert what he said* is what I am. I am not silly looking, I am *insert what he said*."

Why? Because his opinion matters more than your self criticism.

Embrace the beauty and joy that he is trying to bring into your marriage. Enjoy that wonder and glory when you see the joy and happiness on his fa

Well, yesterday, thanks to all of your alls support, I came so very close to doing just what he asked for.. you'd all be so proud of me! Unfortunately though I had a major wardrobe malfunction, while attempting to use a waxing kit for all the right places and reasons... but... it's not the same as when you're young, my skin just ripped, turned purple, and, very sticky from the wax! 🤣🤣🤣. I was rendered unable to even put clothes on over my "parts" let alone even capable of starting something that I obviously was in no condition to be able to finish... Chalk it up to trying, experience, and, a new day around the corner. Thought I would give you all the update so you could help me laugh about it and give me an "A" for effort! 🤣🤣

Hope I told the story right! Anyway, husband came home absolutely exhausted and that ended up being an actual blessing!

Ooof that sounds awful! Prayers for a speedy recovery and bravo for the heart to please your husband!

Well, yesterday, thanks to all of your alls support, I came so very close to doing just what he asked for.. you'd all be so proud of me! Unfortunately though I had a major wardrobe malfunction, while attempting to use a waxing kit for all the right places and reasons... but... it's not the same as when you're young, my skin just ripped, turned purple, and, very sticky from the wax! 🤣🤣🤣. I was rendered unable to even put clothes on over my "parts" let alone even capable of starting something that I obviously was in no condition to be able to finish... Chalk it up to trying, experience, and, a new day around the corner. Thought I would give you all the update so you could help me laugh about it and give me an "A" for effort! 🤣🤣

Hope I told the story right! Anyway, husband came home absolutely exhausted and that ended up being an actual blessing!
Ouch but full marks for the effort and experience is the best teacher for next time

Back