• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

What do you consider modesty on a woman? What makes a woman appear NOT modest?

It has been interesting to observe how people react to @Foxlily and her dress. She wears dresses and skirts, more or less contemporary styled yet modest. So she doesn't stick out like an anachronism, yet she is still different, analogous to the man who always dresses a step better than his office colleges and so is regarded as more professional. Men tend to treat her like a lady and a little more traditionally. And that rare Christian of a different sort can tell from her manner of dress and conversation (spirit?) that she is a follower of Christ as well.

Our daughter likes classy older styles....and we like to see them on her too!
Timeless and feminine, not skanky or suggestive.
She is a great example for her younger sisters!

I've been thinking about this and had the thought that modesty is not about how you dress but about not attracting undue attention. You can be dressed head to toe in a bag like some religions do and then do things that attract attention. Or you can dress like the FLDS women in their weird dresses and attract attention. Neither of those things are really modesty.

I belong to my husband and for me modesty means that there's a side of me that only he gets to see. That doesn't mean I have to dress like a nun when I go to Wal Mart to prove how religious I am. It also doesn't mean I have to make myself unattractive or plain.

Just on my mind on a late night.
Exactly. I've come to learn that is more of an "attitude" and demeanor more than a dress style. Theres a middle ground I'm trying to walk. Based on culture, common sense, and above all things what my husband says I can and can't wear.

Back