• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Should a woman be a pastor?

Rose of Sharon

Real Person
Female
I don't know if this subject has been broached but I would love your input. My husband is adamant that a woman has no right to be a preacher. Now he says that a woman can be a teacher and periodically teach but they have no right to stand on stage and be a solid preacher of a church. He said that once this happens, the men are failing as leaders and if he were ever to see this, he would either confront the woman or walk out. I believe it does mention in the bible somewhere where the women are supposed to be silent. What are your thoughts? I hope that I don't start a wildfire here! :)

I don't know if this subject has been broached but I would love your input. My husband is adamant that a woman has no right to be a preacher. Now he says that a woman can be a teacher and periodically teach but they have no right to stand on stage and be a solid preacher of a church. He said that once this happens, the men are failing as leaders and if he were ever to see this, he would either confront the woman or walk out. I believe it does mention in the bible somewhere where the women are supposed to be silent. What are your thoughts? I hope that I don't start a wildfire here! :)
Getting some popcorn and a big soda before the show starts....

Paul did advise the women of Corinth to be silent. However, He apparently did not condemn Pricilla for her part in instruction Apollos. Phillip had for daughters that did Prophesy. Deborah was a Judge of Israel. It is wrong for a woman to operate in ministry without being under higher male authority and without her husbands consent (if married). I see no problem for a woman to hold any office in the church except that of an apostle, if she is properly submitted to higher male authority.
( just to add gasoline to your match) :)

Paul did advise the women of Corinth to be silent. However, He apparently did not condemn Pricilla for her part in instruction Apollos. Phillip had for daughters that did Prophesy. Deborah was a Judge of Israel. It is wrong for a woman to operate in ministry without being under higher male authority and without her husbands consent (if married). I see no problem for a woman to hold any office in the church except that of an apostle, if she is properly submitted to higher male authority.
So how is she going to pastor if she can't speak or teach a man? That's a non-starter.

Yes, no matter what situation, I believe women need to be submitted to a higher authority. I also feel that this should be associated with politics but that is a whole other topic.

So how is she going to pastor if she can't speak or teach a man? That's a non-starter.

Paul did not have to be physically present for ministries and churches to function under his oversight. and that was without modern communication available.

There are higher ministries than pastor . . . 1st Apostles 2nd Prophets 3rd Teachers. even if you call them Teacher/Pastors they, ( the teacher/pastors) are still out-ranked by 2 higher offices and also still need their husbands approval (if married) . If you accept pastors and teachers as separate offices, then pastors are out-ranked by 3.

Paul did not have to be physically present for ministries and churches to function under his oversight. and that was without modern communication available.

There are higher ministries than pastor . . . 1st Apostles 2nd Prophets 3rd Teachers. even if you call them Teacher/Pastors they, ( the teacher/pastors) are still out-ranked by 2 higher offices and also still need their husbands approval (if married) . If you accept pastors and teachers as separate offices, then pastors are out-ranked by 3.
Interesting but irrelevant. She can't talk and she can't teach a man. She can't therefore pastor as talking and teaching arw pretty much the job description.

I question the wisdom of a woman being under the authority of any man other than her husband...

I believe it is absolutely ridiculous to think a “woman pastor” is in any way legitimate. There are so many contradictions involved I’m not sure where to begin...

I assume that her husband would be attending this “church” so now she is usurping his role as her head.

I question the wisdom of a woman being under the authority of any man other than her husband...

I believe it is absolutely ridiculous to think a “woman pastor” is in any way legitimate. There are so many contradictions involved I’m not sure where to begin...

I assume that her husband would be attending this “church” so now she is usurping his role as her head.
This was one of the things that my husband mentioned. That if the husband was there, that would be the case.

I fall into the "A woman can't Pastor" Group. I don't however have a problem with a woman preaching the gospel.
1 Timothy 1 This is a true saying, If a man desire the office of a bishop, he desireth a good work.
2 A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;

A bishop is a pastor and is clearly to be a man. It is also an office "A position of authority" and therefore can only be held by a man. A preacher of the Gospel however is not a position of authority and it can be said that we should all be one of those shouldn't we? Anyways, That is how I also reconcile women like Phillip's daughters being prophets. Prophet is a position in the body but not one of authority. You don't have to heed the advice of a prophet which is foolish, but you also don't have to heed the advice of a preacher which is equally foolish. Just my thoughts.

Qualified agreement, only as an extension of her husbands authority.
Not under another mans authority.

How does being a pastor equal headship?

Women pastors are quite clearly forbidden in scripture. And as a practical matter, women pastors very rapidly descend into false teaching; few better examples of the easily deceived nature of women than what women pastors do.

Now many Protestants prohibit women pastors but look the other way to women teaching in various capacities. But this was nothing more than a Trojan horse. They should not be teaching doctrine in any capacity but rather teaching each other to "love their husbands and children, be self-controlled, pure, working at home, kind, and submissive to their own husbands". None of which requires Bible studies and teaching doctrine; that is what husbands, elders and teachers are for.

Phillip had for daughters that did Prophesy.

Yes this is fine, so long as they cover their heads in obedience to authority while prophesying. But this is not the same as teaching/preaching as a Pastor would do.

How does being a pastor equal headship?

A pastor is a spiritual leader and teacher of men. The man is supposed to be this over his wife, not the other way around.

I don't however have a problem with a woman preaching the gospel.

Yes, so long as you mean literally telling the good news of Christ to lost people. Some Christians use 'preaching the gospel' as a euphemism for what pastors do on Sunday. So too do some evangelize via home bible studies. Both of these things inappropriate for women.

Why can’t a woman be an apostle?

Back