• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

What do you consider modesty on a woman? What makes a woman appear NOT modest?

It is extremely sexy when a physically attractive woman wears lingerie that fits her correctly and shows off her curves. This would be inappropriate for her to do while going to the grocery store but it would be completely appropriate for her to do while in a hotel room with her new husband on her wedding night. This is not a hard concept to understand.

It.
Agree on time and place, but I certainly hope that the wedding night is not the only time a wife can wear that stuff!

Modesty is a principle and submission is a direct command so you’ve got the order right.
I would add that, while I may have higher standards for modesty than most, I don’t find the painting of a horn-like keratinous envelope all that problematic.

My husband insists that I get a pedicure because he likes nice feet and polished toenails. I also prefer to wear sandals and open-toed shoes most of the year. I am not doing to entice men, but to please my husband.

And it is right you do so; it is he you are to please. I don't speak to convince wives, but husbands.

But if he has not taught you on modest dress, it is good to ask and then do as he says.

And it is right you do so; it is he you are to please. I don't speak to convince wives, but husbands.

But if he has not taught you on modest dress, it is good to ask and then do as he says.
Well, he never felt the need to teach me how to dress modestly as he trusts my judgement. I cover my body, but short of wearing a full burka, there is going to be some men out that may have a strange interest in what others consider non-sexual parts.

Modesty is absolutely required of women and I daresay men as well. A few red flags go off for me when the talk of " modesty" and " purity" are brought up. One needs to make sure they are not objectifying a woman ( or a man) the way the world does, albeit from a different angle. The other is hypocrisy amongst many of the proponents on this topic. I remember when I was a new Christian I had taken my son out to Burger King. It was one of the hottest days of the year, and a church youth group came in. The girls were in long sleeves and dresses/skirts, while the boys were in shorts, sleeveless shirts and a couple of them had on the sagging shorts, showing their underwear. All I could think of us was the sheer hypocrisy of the church on the issue.

Was the command given to men too? Not drawing attention to oneself makes sense in a monogamy mindset where a man is limited to one wife, but less so in a polygamy mindset.

The other is hypocrisy amongst many of the proponents on this topic.
Here, where we're interacting in text and images rather than in person, I think this shows up more in the difference between people's stated standards here and the sorts of images some people have posted in the patriarchy memes thread. One example from @rockfox is here, but I'm not singling him out as he's not the only one of us to slip into posting such content, and I'm sure I'm not innocent of it myself. It's just the clearest example that first comes to mind.

Reactions: Cap
Here, where we're interacting in text and images rather than in person, I think this shows up more in the difference between people's stated standards here and the sorts of images some people have posted in the patriarchy memes thread. One example from @rockfox is here, but I'm not singling him out as he's not the only one of us to slip into posting such content, and I'm sure I'm not innocent of it myself. It's just the clearest example that first comes to mind.

I'm not sure where you're going with that. You won't find my wife wearing a bikini on the beach. But it's not a meme about proper clothing in the same way the next meme down isn't intended to mean that unsubmissive women are hairy, white, and operate chainsaws.

I'm not sure where you're going with that. You won't find my wife wearing a bikini on the beach. But it's not a meme about proper clothing in the same way the next meme down isn't intended to mean that unsubmissive women are hairy, white, and operate chainsaws.

If the topic is modesty and someone is preaching modesty, but yet will post immodest pictures, it does speak of hypocrisy.

And as far as the meme is concerned, what Godly patriarchal husband would want wives like that?

Not going anywhere, just musing. The question is not how the author views it, but whether it looks hypocritical from the outside. I'm not really asking you @rockfox, you're just the example I have unfairly picked on just as an illustration, sorry. Trying to tease out @SerenaJoy82's comment, so asking her and anyone else looking from the outside and feeling brave enough to comment one way or the other.

Was the command given to men too? Not drawing attention to oneself makes sense in a monogamy mindset where a man is limited to one wife, but less so in a polygamy mindset.
I did not realize that polygyny permitted men to portray themselves as a whoremonger? Where does Scripture give a man the right to wear his pants hanging off his backside and exposing his underwear and his behind? Perhaps one needs to discern between positive and negative attention? I very much doubt a father would welcome a man to court his daughter dressed in that immodest manner.

Modesty starts from within a person, with humility. We are not to be a stumbling block to our weaker brother and sisters in Christ. This applies to dress as well and applies to men and women. If men think that women never look at them with lust, they are very naive.

I cannot count how many times I have seen both men and women rant about immodesty and yet post memes and photos of what they deem offensive. They have just not only portrayed themselves as hypocrites, but they have put a stumbling block up for their weaker brothers and sisters ( 1 Corinthians 8:9). We do not need to see a visual example of immodesty, most of us have already encountered it personally or have an idea of what it is. I am blessed that my husband trusts me to know right from and wrong regarding how I dress. If he does not like something on me or does not like how it fits or looks, he tells me and I do not buy/wear it. But he never has seen the need to micromanage what I wear as if I am a child. Many would be surprised to learn that I own a pair of gasp yoga pants! And my husband does not mind that I bought them.

If the topic is modesty and someone is preaching modesty, but yet will post immodest pictures, it does speak of hypocrisy.

And as far as the meme is concerned, what Godly patriarchal husband would want wives like that?
Well, apparently a man wanted to marry Rahab, even though she had been a harlot because she is in Christ geology. Some believe that Joshua married her. I am assuming the meme you speak of is an immodestly clad lady.

You clean the fish after you catch them.

Well, apparently a man wanted to marry Rahab, even though she had been a harlot because she is in Christ geology. Some believe that Joshua married her. I am assuming the meme you speak of is an immodestly clad lady.

You decide modest or immodest?

patriarchalman.jpg

Back