• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

1 corinthians 9:19-23

Here's a question.
  1. If the law was given to Israel, and for Israel.
  2. Not to and for the gentiles.
  3. And that law will not pass away till all be fulfilled.
  4. And then Christ comes and fulfills the law fully.
  5. God clearly establishes a new covenant, and says so in his own words.
  6. AND gentiles are specifically and explicitly instructed to NOT obey at least some of the Torah lest they be damned...
  7. And those gentiles were instructed to NOT listen to those who instruct them to give up their liberty and attempt to put themselves in bondage to the law....
Then why are there people preaching that all gentiles should be keeping the laws given to Israel? I don't understand why there is a disconnect or oversight that God gives some laws to some people, and other laws to other people. It's self evident that laws for Levite priests, are not applicable to virgin girls. Laws for men in general are not applicable to women in general. The laws for Israel are for *drumroll*...... Israel! The laws for Gentiles are for.... *drumroll* Gentiles! How is this so difficult to reconcile with clear scripture? Paul isn't that hard to understand if you're not trying to eisegete all of the NT into Torah observance.

And then on top of all that we have God, the Word made flesh violates the sabbath command. And leads his disciples to also violate Torah Laws.

29“See, the LORD has given you the sabbath; therefore He gives you bread for two days on the sixth day. Remain every man in his place; let no man go out of his place on the seventh day.” 30So the people rested on the seventh day.

They weren't remaining in their tent, they were walking around in a field collecting grain. That's two violations.

He then explains what many non-Torah keepers here have been attempting to convey. That it seems there are some here who are attempting to keep laws that are not needful and avoiding the weightier matters. They are trying to keep the letter and not the spirit of the law. They are placing themselves under bondage to a law that has been fulfilled and buried with Christ. That we should not be seeking to place ourselves in bondage to a law that will make the work of Christ of no effect. That's terrifying stuff brothers.

IF it is correct, that nothing of the law has passed away... Then why do we have scriptural proof some laws have passed away (or at least been fulfilled)? There have been numerous scriptural evidences presented that conclusively prove that some laws have been done away with or at the very least fulfilled for us, leaving us free to not attempt the keeping of those laws. And that to attempt to keep them specifically condemns us to death by making the work of Christ to no effect. This is clear, black and white, and requires twisting and wresting the apostle's words away from the clear plain meaning into something different.

In fact we've been given numerous instances where Paul specifically speaks about those who have been tricking and leading astray the ecclesia with false instructions for all believers to keep all Torah. He also instructs the people there and abroad who are of the house of Judah to continue keeping Torah, but does the opposite for Gentiles. And nowhere else afterward or concurrently were any of those people instructed to attend Torah lessons on how to keep the law. They were specifically and explicitly instructed to NOT do so.

How are you to handle the cognitive dissonance saying nothing of the law has passed away when believers are clearly instructed to NOT get physically circumcised? I've not seen one rational explanation for this.

I've got no problem with anybody keeping Torah. I'll happily fellowship without any discord, and I even ensure I eat specifically according to Levitical commands when doing so, I don't even bring unclean food or vessels into someone's home. Just the same as I do with alcohol when someone is weak in the faith about drinking beer.

But my issue is there are holes in the doctrine of keeping all of Torah so legion, that it boggles my mind how someone can walk that path if they've read the NT. Honestly the only way I can understand it is if one were to deny Paul (as some do), then all the Apostles, and then Jesus himself. This is exactly the spirit of the pharisees that was warned against. This is the warning about those who were troubling the believers, leading them astray from the Gospel. Telling them to return to the bondage of the law and the old covenant that was fulfilled and leave the new covenant they were given by Yeshua's own words.

Galations 5:1-12
1 Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage.
2 Behold, I Paul say unto you, that if ye be circumcised, Christ shall profit you nothing.
3 For I testify again to every man that is circumcised, that he is a debtor to do the whole law.
4 Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace.
5 For we through the Spirit wait for the hope of righteousness by faith.
6 For in Jesus Christ neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision; but faith which worketh by love.
7 Ye did run well;
who did hinder you that ye should not obey the truth?
8 This persuasion cometh not of him that calleth you.
9 A little leaven leaveneth the whole lump.

10 I have confidence in you through the Lord, that ye will be none otherwise minded: but he that troubleth you shall bear his judgment, whosoever he be.
11 And I, brethren, if I yet preach circumcision, why do I yet suffer persecution? then is the offence of the cross ceased.
12 I would they were even cut off which trouble you.

Paul is speaking some strong language against those who are preaching that you must keep at least one of the laws of Torah. He's wishing that person would be cut off. Saying that person is hindering the truth, and that the persuasion to observe this law did not come from Yeshua who called them.

I'll let you guys chat back and forth. But I'd be interested to see if anybody can give an answer. Because what I've seen so far has been jaw dropping in it's lack of logic, rationale, and especially scripture. Lots of assumptions, lots of inconsistency, and very little logic/order.

Believe it or not that is actually a roman catholic doctrine... like many of the others held onto by so called protestants.

Which part?

How long after the resurrection and ascension was Shaul converted?

Not terribly long. Is it very important?

Was it Paul who preached to the first Gentile converts?

Peter.

How was it deemed that Cornelius was a "devout" man one who feared God, what did that all mean.

Acts 10:2 “a devout man who feared God with all his household, gave alms generously to the people, and prayed continually to God.”

Why do you think he was deemed a devout man?

It amazes me that a guy who doesn't even know what LANGUAGE He spoke, but DOES know that when He said He wasn't changing "one yod or one tiddle", He didn't mean it, still claims to know that He commanded them to teach contrary to His own Written Word.

It amazes me that a guy who bases his theology on his own assumptions instead of actual Scripture is still in this conversation.

Ps. How many other older posts have you edited in hopes that I wouldn’t catch it?

@JudahYAHites, can you answer my earlier question? I will ask it again. What is law? Is eating an animal that died of natural causes iniquity?
And is walking around collecting food *edit* (on the sabbath) contrary to clear Law? What about being uncircumcised? Is that sin and a violation of the Law?

I'm asking these questions in love with sincerity of heart, not seeking division or contention. These are serious issues that need to be addressed.

Last edited:
@JudahYAHites, can you answer my earlier question? I will ask it again. What is law? Is eating an animal that died of natural causes iniquity?
@Asforme&myhouse how many questions have I asked that you point blank refuse to answer, completely ignore or give a flippant response to? Instead you called them an inquisition.

If you answered the questions with thought from scripture that I posed before, then we would be having a very different conversation now.

Your questions as well as being obtuse are tantamount to what's called "framing" questions, a favourite tactic of freemasons (not saying you are one)

And is walking around collecting food *edit* (on the sabbath) contrary to clear Law? What about being uncircumcised? Is that sin and a violation of the Law?

I'm asking these questions in love with sincerity of heart, not seeking division or contention. These are serious issues that need to be addressed.
Seriously! If you think that is a serious question then, I am disappointed, you are taking something pertaining to a specific situation, namely the provision of manna, to try and prove or disprove what!

I have written more than enough on this thread to make my position very clear. As well as questions that when you prayerfully look into the scriptures to answer them will answer all your questions.

If anyone wants to reframe my words then have at it. Doesn't change what I wrote in context.

As I have said before, this is not about being right before man it's about being righteous before a HOLY God. The fact is the roman catholic doctrine that you are defending cannot help lead anyone to live a holy life.

I would suggest you also read again the original question from @Children of God and then read his later posts, after he read through and prayerfully looked into what has been written from all perspectives of this discussion, very insightful.

Seriously! If you think that is a serious question then, I am disappointed, you are taking something pertaining to a specific situation, namely the provision of manna, to try and prove or disprove what!
It's a simple question. If you're unable to answer then just say so. Your response is not one that exemplifies the fruits of the spirit.
It is a serious question. If adherence to keeping sabbath requires that you do not go out of your place. Then was Jesus breaking the sabbath? The pharisees said he was according to Torah. Do you?

*Edit for clarification:
I'm asking questions here, not proclaiming I know the answers. Many men have responded acting like they have the answers. I'm asking for clarification on some points that to me seem glaring contradictions. I'd expect a man who purports to have the truth to be able to answer without resorting to ad-hominem instead of giving a simple answer. I've been studying this for months now and still don't have straight answers that make any sense. Here's a prime opportunity for Torah Observant men to educate me. Not interested in "winning" debates, or scoring points, or embarrassing anybody. I'm searching for the truth.

Last edited:
It's a simple question. If you're unable to answer then just say so. Your response is not one that exemplifies the fruits of the spirit.
It is a serious question. If adherence to keeping sabbath requires that you do not go out of your place. Then was Jesus breaking the sabbath? The pharisees said he was according to Torah. Do you?
Were all the questions I asked before not serious?

(For the fruit of the Spirit [is] in all goodness and righteousness and truth;) — Ephesians 5:9 KJV

@Asforme&myhouse how many questions have I asked that you point blank refuse to answer, completely ignore or give a flippant response to? Instead you called them an inquisition.

If you answered the questions with thought from scripture that I posed before, then we would be having a very different conversation now.

Your questions as well as being obtuse are tantamount to what's called "framing" questions, a favourite tactic of freemasons (not saying you are one)

I don’t know, it was a list of maybe six or so random questions that didn’t seem to have any bearing on what we were discussing at the time. They just seemed like “framing questions” to me. It’s not my job to build your case. If you have points you want to make about those things, lay out your case.

iniquity = lawlessness, so, what does iniquity mean?

scriptural answers because scripture interprets scripture.

Then you asked this question, which I think was in your original list, and I answered it because it had some bearing on what we were talking about at that point. Then I asked you a question about it, which you seem to be stalling on.

For the record, I am not a freemason... nor the son of a freemason... or any other relation that I know of, and I am unfamiliar with their tactics. How are you familiar with their tactics?

Last edited:
How are you familiar with their tactics?
In london in business they are everywhere, I have been propositioned three times to be introduced and join, I have encountered them and their devious tactics numerous times, although I never really mixed with him or spent time with him I had an uncle now deceased who was one, and the depth of their tactics came out after his demise involving police and more and also what I have heard ex freemasons reveal. That's how I know.

Not stalling just chose not to answer you based on your responses.

On the collecting food during Sabbath the passage you were referring to was part of collecting manna and how the people were to keep Sabbath when journeying to the promised land. There are many rules and regulations given to Moses and in the Torah that were specific to being "in the land" for once they arrived and were able to establish everything in accordance with his commands. Thus there are many times during the exiles and captivities of the OT that the people of Israel were not able to observe all that had been commanded them to do since they were physically unable to do so (Eg: not having a temple, priesthood, etc.) This did not take away Yahweh's desire for them to do so when they were able to.

That Yeshua would leave his home at all on a Sabbath should prove that walking around outside on that day was allowed as he kept the Torah/Law perfectly. Collecting food to eat a few grains for a meal would not have been considered work or breaking the Sabbath, which was the point Yeshua was making. It was providing the necessary food for your body for the day, not going out and cutting it down with a tool and 'working' to collect more food than you needed for that meal. He was pushing back against the fences of the Pharisees and manmade commands in that case. It was the same as healing the sick on the sabbath, taking care of people and their individual welfare (health, eating) is more important than their fences. They were focused on the letter rather than the spirit behind it.

Wasn’t the covenant itself at mount Sinai specifically between the Hebrews and God?
The covenant was made between Yahweh and his chosen people, the Hebrews. They were meant to observe and preserve this covenant. When gentiles accept Yeshua as their Messiah they are grafted onto and become one of Yahweh's chosen with the expectations that go with it.

Romans 11:11-31 NKJV​

Gentiles Grafted In​

11 I say then, have they stumbled that they should fall? Certainly not! But through their [a]fall, to provoke them to jealousy, salvation has come to the Gentiles. 12 Now if their [b]fall is riches for the world, and their failure riches for the Gentiles, how much more their fullness!

13 For I speak to you Gentiles; inasmuch as I am an apostle to the Gentiles, I magnify my ministry, 14 if by any means I may provoke to jealousy those who are my flesh and save some of them. 15 For if their being cast away is the reconciling of the world, what will their acceptance be but life from the dead?

16 For if the firstfruit is holy, the lump is also holy; and if the root is holy, so are the branches. 17 And if some of the branches were broken off, and you, being a wild olive tree, were grafted in among them, and with them became a partaker of the root and [c]fatness of the olive tree, 18 do not boast against the branches. But if you do boast, remember that you do not support the root, but the root supports you.

19 You will say then, “Branches were broken off that I might be grafted in.” 20 Well said. Because of unbelief they were broken off, and you stand by faith. Do not be haughty, but fear. 21 For if God did not spare the natural branches, He may not spare you either. 22 Therefore consider the goodness and severity of God: on those who fell, severity; but toward you, [d]goodness, if you continue in His goodness. Otherwise you also will be cut off. 23 And they also, if they do not continue in unbelief, will be grafted in, for God is able to graft them in again. 24 For if you were cut out of the olive tree which is wild by nature, and were grafted contrary to nature into a cultivated olive tree, how much more will these, who are natural branches, be grafted into their own olive tree?

25 For I do not desire, brethren, that you should be ignorant of this mystery, lest you should be wise in your own [e]opinion, that blindness in part has happened to Israel until the fullness of the Gentiles has come in. 26 And so all Israel will be [f]saved, as it is written:

“The Deliverer will come out of Zion,
And He will turn away ungodliness from Jacob;
27 For this is My covenant with them,
When I take away their sins.”
28 Concerning the gospel they are enemies for your sake, but concerning the election they are beloved for the sake of the fathers. 29 For the gifts and the calling of God are irrevocable. 30 For as you were once disobedient to God, yet have now obtained mercy through their disobedience, 31 even so these also have now been disobedient, that through the mercy shown you they also may obtain mercy.

Last edited:
The covenant was made between Yahweh and his chosen people, the Hebrews. They were meant to observe and preserve this covenant. When gentiles accept Yeshua as their Messiah they are grafted onto and become one of Yahweh's chosen with the expectations that go with it.

Romans 11:11-31 NKJV​

Gentiles Grafted In​

11 I say then, have they stumbled that they should fall? Certainly not! But through their [a]fall, to provoke them to jealousy, salvation has come to the Gentiles. 12 Now if their [b]fall is riches for the world, and their failure riches for the Gentiles, how much more their fullness!

13 For I speak to you Gentiles; inasmuch as I am an apostle to the Gentiles, I magnify my ministry, 14 if by any means I may provoke to jealousy those who are my flesh and save some of them. 15 For if their being cast away is the reconciling of the world, what will their acceptance be but life from the dead?

16 For if the firstfruit is holy, the lump is also holy; and if the root is holy, so are the branches. 17 And if some of the branches were broken off, and you, being a wild olive tree, were grafted in among them, and with them became a partaker of the root and [c]fatness of the olive tree, 18 do not boast against the branches. But if you do boast, remember that you do not support the root, but the root supports you.

19 You will say then, “Branches were broken off that I might be grafted in.” 20 Well said. Because of unbelief they were broken off, and you stand by faith. Do not be haughty, but fear. 21 For if God did not spare the natural branches, He may not spare you either. 22 Therefore consider the goodness and severity of God: on those who fell, severity; but toward you, [d]goodness, if you continue in His goodness. Otherwise you also will be cut off. 23 And they also, if they do not continue in unbelief, will be grafted in, for God is able to graft them in again. 24 For if you were cut out of the olive tree which is wild by nature, and were grafted contrary to nature into a cultivated olive tree, how much more will these, who are natural branches, be grafted into their own olive tree?

25 For I do not desire, brethren, that you should be ignorant of this mystery, lest you should be wise in your own [e]opinion, that blindness in part has happened to Israel until the fullness of the Gentiles has come in. 26 And so all Israel will be [f]saved, as it is written:

“The Deliverer will come out of Zion,
And He will turn away ungodliness from Jacob;
27 For this is My covenant with them,
When I take away their sins.”
28 Concerning the gospel they are enemies for your sake, but concerning the election they are beloved for the sake of the fathers. 29 For the gifts and the calling of God are irrevocable. 30 For as you were once disobedient to God, yet have now obtained mercy through their disobedience, 31 even so these also have now been disobedient, that through the mercy shown you they also may obtain mercy.

The Hebrews, before the cross, were required to keep the law of Moses, but now no one is. There is nothing in this chapter that commands gentiles or Hebrews to keep the feasts, or Shabbat, or to be circumcised or to eat ceremonially clean foods. If you continue reading on to the end of the epistle it becomes more obvious that these things are not required. I won’t post the whole thing here, but this passage should clarify it.

14 “I know and am persuaded in the Lord Jesus that nothing is unclean in itself, but it is unclean for anyone who thinks it unclean. 15 For if your brother is grieved by what you eat, you are no longer walking in love. By what you eat, do not destroy the one for whom Christ died. 16 So do not let what you regard as good be spoken of as evil. 17 For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking but of righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit.” Romans 14:14-17 | ESV

In those last chapters Paul tells us what things are pleasing to God and those things all have to do with walking in love towards one another, not food or drink or shabbats or any of those things.

There are many rules and regulations given to Moses and in the Torah that were specific to being "in the land" for once they arrived and were able to establish everything in accordance with his commands. Thus there are many times during the exiles and captivities of the OT that the people of Israel were not able to observe all that had been commanded them to do since they were physically unable to do so (Eg: not having a temple, priesthood, etc.) This did not take away Yahweh's desire for them to do so when they were able to.
Correct. Good point, generally ignored by many. Those commands that are specific to "in the land" are easy to identify; He is clear. (Some of us, who point out that both "whoring wives" are in exile 'for cause' are also promised that we will eventually be 'regathered' and return to His land...will "cross that bridge" when we get back there.)

Some fallacies must be addressed:

And then Christ comes and fulfills the law fully.
Not true. Yahushua came and fulfilled what He needed to (especially the three "Spring Moedim" - perfectly) to prove that He IS Who He is. But if He is coming back (some here may deny that as well, but...) then I suggest it's fairly clear that He will return to fulfill equally perfectly His FALL Feasts (another reason why "memorializing" them will help those with 'eyes to see' to recognize those 'signs of the times.' But otherwise, the "why" of that is beyond the scope of a discussion where the basics are disputed.)

AND gentiles are specifically and explicitly instructed to NOT obey at least some of the Torah lest they be damned...
That's sooo wrong the term "BS" probably falls short.

And those gentiles were instructed to NOT listen to those who instruct them to give up their liberty and attempt to put themselves in bondage to the law....
...wrong "law". But those who don't understand "conflation" still refuse to "get it." Maybe an example will illustrate for others, however. Funny how people will prattle about not being "under the law" while they buckle to a Tyranny (Romans 13 GIV - "when Big Bro says 'jump' - you say 'how high') that holds them in a level of bondage that makes Egypt look warm 'n fuzzy; muzzles 'em, orders them to subsidize child sacrifice, mutilates kids, destroys their immune systems, etc, and then steals their property for imaginary crimes, especially when they are protected by a Bill of Rights that's far more "done away with" than His Torah EVER was...)

When I hear "good li'l slaves" prattle about not being "under the law" -- their rattle of their own chains drowns out their whimpering.

Then why are there people preaching that all gentiles should be keeping the laws given to Israel?
Really? "Assuming things not in evidence," comes to mind. But your next sentence at least STARTS to poke the holes. Men can't do things for women, or cohenim, or things that are ONLY for "in the land," or a temple that has been destroyed by Yah...et al. Strawmen are not attractive argument techniques for those who are inclined to actual study of His Word as Written.

And - again - I will not re-hash things already beaten to near-death, and arguably STILL IGNORED.

And then on top of all that we have God, the Word made flesh violates the sabbath command. And leads his disciples to also violate Torah Laws.
Honestly? Disgustingly wrong. He was "violating" the CRAP that was called "law" (or nomos for those who think He what He spoke was Greek to them) but was NOT.

This is SO fundamental that it is shocking to me that it needs to be pointed out. But, here we are, and clearly it does:

Deuteronomy 4:2, 12:32, and the "last command in the Book" says do not "add to," nor "subtract from" what He Wrote. The Pharisees made a franchise of it!!! (As did the later RCC, but they were more fond of "subtracting from" than piling on.) Case in point: There is no PROHIBITION against healing on the Sabbath. Yahushua literally 'rubbed their noses" in their BS addition, healing over and OVER on His Sabbath. He made fun of their "laws," by asking questions about "your ox in a ditch," and so on. (I can, and have done, as have many others; Michael Rood excels at this point, DOZENS of examples.) As for the most obvious: His disciples got the message. EVERYTHING that they did, like
walking around in a field collecting grain
was EXPLICITLY CONSISTENT with His Torah, and correct! And the fact that you miss that point speaks volumes. It's an example of why this doctrine is not only wrong, and in ignorance, but corrosive - because it MISSES His POINT entirely!

Finally, this is repetitious, but evidently necessary. And it's simple logic.
believers are clearly instructed to NOT get physically circumcised? I've not seen one rational explanation for this.
WRONG. To draw a distinction between a "spiritual" and "physical" example is NOT a prohibition. And to say something "profits nothing" is NOT at ALL a 'prohibition.' To point out that a DEMAND of circumcision as a "precondition" for ANYTHING is in fact, another "adding to" His Word, of something that is NOT there at ALL. (He says it's a 'sign'. A bit like, SHOW me your faith, by your works...not a precondition.)

(Irony: we who suggest that there are BLESSINGS for walking in obedience are likewise not "demanding" that "ALL" must "keep the Law". Note: You don't have to accept His free gift of salvation, either! It's a choice. Why don't you who reject His Torah just recognize that ALL of His Word is about a choice? Life and blessing, or death and cursing. THAT has not changed, either!)

I think, if nothing else, these errors point out the reason Kefa (Peter) was cautious about those who "twist" Paul's writings. He was trying to make subtle points. And too many are clueless about anything subtle.

...is walking around collecting food (on the sabbath) contrary to clear Law?
No. (and it's INSTRUCTION, not "Law" - hopefully this will help on that score, too.)

You can count the actual COMMANDMENTS about prohibitions on the Sabbath on your fingers. "What is 'work'?" We're told: "kindling a fire" is 'work.' And any Boy Scout (back when they taught skills instead of wokeism) who ever used a bow to start a fire can tell you it really IS 'work'. BUT - now you'll have "rabbis" telling those Under Their Law that flipping a light switch is 'work,' because it 'kindles a fire'. Oh, really? That sounds like some strawman arguments I've heard here. Same for starting a car, cause - VROOM - lotsa fires...

By the time of Yahushua, there were said to be between 1500 and 1700 PROHIBITIONS ('additions to') that had to do with "Sabbath" and were called 'law' if you will ('nomos' if you prefer) but were NOT IN HIS WORD. E.g. - a "Sabbath's days journey" - about 1000 Roman legion paces, of 5/8 of a mile. Don't go a step further. If you threw a rock, you 'violated Sabbath.' (But, you could go get it, bring it back, that's OK.) IOW, lotsa crap "added to" and CALLED "Law" that was in fact a VIOLATION of Torah itself. (Thus, Matthew 23, Mark 7 - He rightly called them "hypocrites".)

Torah allows people to do exactly what the disciples did - grab and eat a little bit for their own needs. But NOT fill a basket, or harvest enough to take home. (And it doesn't specify hand washing, either, much less the details of a specific ritual.)

Again - there is "torah" - and the rules for Sabbath are few, enumerated, and clear - and there are things MEN ADDED TO it, and CALLED law, that Yahushua (and Paul, too!) called "bondage".

Thus, "By your traditions you have made the commandments of Yah of no effect." (The whole chapter of Mark 7 makes this point!)

There are literally HUNDREDS more examples. But, if you go through the gospels, and see what He DID, the fact that He was HONORING His Word, while violating the hell out of their "nomos," will leap off the page at you. (including: healing on the Sabbath.)

"If any man has ears to hear, let him hear."

Back