• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

The modern woman's search

Wow. that's... just, wow. I like this tag-line "If you love cats this is the home for you! If not bring your sandblaster!"

And now the required cat meme:

Blind date cat lady.jpg

That place looks amazing from the outside and terrifying from the inside!
20 acres for $240,000... What do you use land like that for? Doesn't look much good for anything.
Also, I'd be wondering if the previous owner died in it. Who is that devoted and then decides to sell?

Also, I'd be wondering if the previous owner died in it. Who is that devoted and then decides to sell?
This seems likely but may have been part of a larger lot and was recently (maybe after resident died) cut from the original property. I think that because there doesn't seem to be any property tax or assessor records for this property at all. It's like it didn't exist before it was listed 6 days ago although it is recorded as being built in 1992 and no previous sales data either.

The other comps in the area for 2/1 and 2/2 (bed/bath) are less than $100K, but the sq footage is larger than most of those and it is supposedly a true to goodness log house.... in the desert. The median sales price of homes in Concho is only $130K so I don't know what's else is special about this place. I don't think it the property as i've seen 40 acres for $40K in Yuma and that was with a 4 bedroom double wide on site.

www.landwatch.com
www.zillow.com
www.coldwellbankerhomes.com
www.realtor.com

Using Apache County Assessor search i found it. looks like it was originally purchased back in 1992 by Thomas and Ruri Gillogly for $32K. Appears Thomas was removed from the deed mid-2010, I think he may have passed away (either 103 or 58 yrs, father-son, and i think Ruri is a brother). In February 2011, some type of Permit for "Miscellaneous" electrical was archived. There was a high priority site inspection in May 2015 where the inspector noted, "PER FIELD VISIT FOR APPEAL GOT RID OF RAMADA AND PUT THE RESIDENCE AT 60% COMPLETE."

Anyway, according the the Assessment, the full cash value is a whopping $125K. I say whopping because even the other properties on that same road are way lower than that (barely half). I still can't figure out why it's valued so much higher.

The house has blown up on several online news feeds including Arizona News 12.

This report was brought to you by Bored International, Limited.

Ah, the differences between men and women are shown once again.
Me: I wonder if the previous owner died in it.
Woman: Yeah, that's a creepy thought.
Man: *holds up finger* I will find out! And it will involve 50 tabs open on my computer at the same time. And if I don't understand any law stuff I read then I shall study law to find out!

Seriously though, I did notice that it had over 2 million views so figured it'd gone viral somewhere. Maybe that's the reason for the price? Your land and houses in America are seriously cheap. I know you don't think that they are, but truly it's mind boggling what you can get over there compared to here. The price for this place though seems pretty on par with NZ, which is what made me wonder if it was some special land that grew magic beans or something.

Um, obsessed much? I am not a cat lover, have lots of cat jokes to prove it. I can tolerate a cat or at most 2 but that was surreal. My daughter had a Siamese once that I actually really liked. I liked it well enough that we took her in to get her spayed with the intent of keeping her. She had a reaction to something in the procedure and died. I really liked that one.

:eek: I'm gonna have nightmares now....

@Joleneakamama - Thank you for sharing. You have hit on what I think is a very important point that somehow doesn't get talked about enough. We live in a world where women don't think there are any "good men" out there who aren't already taken. As you stated, we are short men compared to women, but for a women who is a follower of Christ it gets worse than what you've expressed here. According to Barna Research, there is a 22% gap in churched men vs. women - that's about 13 million people! In some non-American churches the ratio is 9:1. YIKES!

God expected the Israelites not to intermarry with the heathen nations who were not following Him, but yet today we easily hand our daughters over to heathen men who aren't following God. Though it's not as applicable to this thread, it's just as bad that we our men are marrying "foreign" woman and letting their hearts be led astray. Though we aren't doing a good job of insisting that our children marry within the body of Christ, we would fail miserably at this if we did insist that this occur monogamously. Why? Our young ladies would go unmarried and (without the intervention from God) the church would die out through attrition as our Christian young women die as old maids without ever knowing a man.

Think how much better it would be if we encouraged our daughters to look within the church to find the best example of a husband they could find and make themselves known to him. Is he married? I think those would indeed be the most sought after in this scenario because they are proven in their ability to be godly heads. Would single men who are followers of Christ be able to find wives too? Of course, but frankly, I think they would be less sought after in these scenarios, at least from the parents' perspective, because they are a less safe gamble for their daughter.

Related to this, I have heard it said that the command to populate the earth is no longer applicable and even discouraged due to perceived over population. Really? Did God ever encourage the Israelites to quit making babies? I don't remember seeing this in the Bible. In fact, it seems to me that it was seen as a blessing to be fertile. If Christians today were a nation, we would be in dire straights due to population growth, a critical factor in the success of a nation. Now, to be clear, I don't believe the church only grows through births, but the it sure doesn't hurt to have robust Christian families. If our churches encouraged such things proven men within the church would become a hot commodity as the women sought men who could provide godly headship and provision.
Overpopulation is BULL! I just got back from driving through 4 Western states in the U.S. There is plenty of space out there and lots of farmeable land!

@Joleneakamama - Thank you for sharing. You have hit on what I think is a very important point that somehow doesn't get talked about enough. We live in a world where women don't think there are any "good men" out there who aren't already taken. As you stated, we are short men compared to women, but for a women who is a follower of Christ it gets worse than what you've expressed here. According to Barna Research, there is a 22% gap in churched men vs. women - that's about 13 million people! In some non-American churches the ratio is 9:1. YIKES!

God expected the Israelites not to intermarry with the heathen nations who were not following Him, but yet today we easily hand our daughters over to heathen men who aren't following God. Though it's not as applicable to this thread, it's just as bad that we our men are marrying "foreign" woman and letting their hearts be led astray. Though we aren't doing a good job of insisting that our children marry within the body of Christ, we would fail miserably at this if we did insist that this occur monogamously. Why? Our young ladies would go unmarried and (without the intervention from God) the church would die out through attrition as our Christian young women die as old maids without ever knowing a man.

Think how much better it would be if we encouraged our daughters to look within the church to find the best example of a husband they could find and make themselves known to him. Is he married? I think those would indeed be the most sought after in this scenario because they are proven in their ability to be godly heads. Would single men who are followers of Christ be able to find wives too? Of course, but frankly, I think they would be less sought after in these scenarios, at least from the parents' perspective, because they are a less safe gamble for their daughter.

Related to this, I have heard it said that the command to populate the earth is no longer applicable and even discouraged due to perceived over population. Really? Did God ever encourage the Israelites to quit making babies? I don't remember seeing this in the Bible. In fact, it seems to me that it was seen as a blessing to be fertile. If Christians today were a nation, we would be in dire straights due to population growth, a critical factor in the success of a nation. Now, to be clear, I don't believe the church only grows through births, but the it sure doesn't hurt to have robust Christian families. If our churches encouraged such things proven men within the church would become a hot commodity as the women sought men who could provide godly headship and provision.
I'm going to have to go back and find links, but I remember after reasearching the "gender gap" numbers that the main reason for the gap in the Western world is men dying at younger ages in senior hood. The numbers are actually pretty close to even in the reproduction years. Just from personal experience, I do buy the numbers as they pertain to more women in "churches", regardless of how you define that. That's the number we should be focusing on.

Overpopulation is BULL! I just got back from driving through 4 Western states in the U.S. There is plenty of space out there and lots of farmeable land!

It's certainly not an issue in parts of the western US, a well as many other parts of the world.

Just to be certain, I'm not saying overpopulation is an issue.

It's certainly not an issue in parts of the western US, a well as many other parts of the world.

Just to be certain, I'm not saying overpopulation is an issue.
Oops. Sorry, wasn't pointing you out in particular. My bad. I did a quick quote of your post to make my point. Mea culpa.

I did read somewhere once that you could essentially fit all the worlds population in Kansas and each person would still have plenty of room to move around. It's not space that's an issue, it's HOW we use that space.

It's not space that's an issue, it's HOW we use that space
And resources. We flush clean drinking water down the toilet. We throw away an insane amount of good healthy food. I watched a video the other day that showed that with all the extra money that just the USA spends on Christmas every year, they could feed the entire world for a year.

And resources. We flush clean drinking water down the toilet. We throw away an insane amount of good healthy food. I watched a video the other day that showed that with all the extra money that just the USA spends on Christmas every year, they could feed the entire world for a year.
And in my neck of the woods, we've built flood control channels to whisk away fresh water into the ocean rather than storing it. To the credit of local engineers, "spreading grounds" are now being built to allow runoff to refresh the ground water table.

That place looks amazing from the outside and terrifying from the inside!
20 acres for $240,000... What do you use land like that for? Doesn't look much good for anything.
People go to these large plots of land in Arizona for solitude. The land is pretty much useless, but your neighbors are a mile away, so...why not?

Being somewhat reclusive I can understand that.But still happier in the woods: )
As do I, but these desert rats love the sunny weather and hate the snow.:D

Back