• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

The modern woman's search

Now I don't hate the snow, and I don't love the low desert, but being an Arizona native I doubt I could handle a Vermont winter, or an Alaskan summer. I'm just used to a lot of shirt sleeve weather, and clear days, (that are not 20 hours long either!) even through fall and early spring.
I personally don't think there is anything more beautiful then a mixed forest of evergreen, and deciduous trees, but because of where I live I also like the amazing views over huge distances that this state, and other western states offer.

The beauty of this country, is that most everyone can find a climate zone that suits them.

Now I don't hate the snow, and I don't love the low desert, but being an Arizona native I doubt I could handle a Vermont winter, or an Alaskan summer. I'm just used to a lot of shirt sleeve weather, and clear days, (that are not 20 hours long either!) even through fall and early spring.
I personally don't think there is anything more beautiful then a mixed forest of evergreen, and deciduous trees, but because of where I live I also like the amazing views over huge distances that this state, and other western states offer.

The beauty of this country, is that most everyone can find a climate zone that suits them.
Just a quick change of subject. Have any of you heard the theory that the Indians actually made the Plains states bigger than they were by controlled burns? They wanted more grass to lure more bison. So much for the great forests of Kansas and South Dakota!

I have traveled throughout much of the US for work; one of the things I learned early on is that every single place has something beautiful about it. I have no doubt that this is true for the entire world too. I still love where I call home though.

Just a quick change of subject. Have any of you heard the theory that the Indians actually made the Plains states bigger than they were by controlled burns? They wanted more grass to lure more bison. So much for the great forests of Kansas and South Dakota!
Sounds plausible. Most of New Zealand was in native bush before the indigenous Maori arrived, they burnt half of it to flush out moa (giant birds like ostriches but bigger) until they drove the moa to extinction. Then European settlers arrived, burnt half of what forest was remaining for farmland - but found these massive areas of "native" tussock grassland (formerly forest burnt by Maori) which now had their own unique flora and fauna. Now our government spends ridiculous amounts of money protecting this grassland and preventing it from being taken over by pine trees - while if they only let pine trees take over, natives would grow up under them, and the native bush would return within 100 years.

Everyone's heard of Ireland's famous peat bogs. But even those are man-made! They all used to be forest also, the native people at the time burnt them for farmland, without the trees extracting water the water table rose, turning them into bog, and now they are the new "native environment" that their government goes to great lengths to protect from destruction.

Australia is full of kangaroos, and they're protected (there's a quota system to hunt them because they're cuddly or something, though there are millions and they're serious pests). But there are only so many because settlers put water troughs through much of the interior for sheep and cattle, before the water troughs the kangaroos were more confined to the coasts.

Whatever was around when we were born we think is "normal" and want to protect. That goes for every area of life, you can ponder that one deeply...

Anyone mention Brazil and the beef farming there..?As a sidenote,I may have unintentionally offended people by calling them weirdos..please understand that in my view weird is GOOD: )

I may have unintentionally offended people...
Bah! Weirdo are as weirdos do.

A weird poem:
Un-Vegetarian
by: DryDeadFish

Oh, I’m an un-vegetarian:
I love to eat real meat.
I’d rather eat a roasted lamb
Than stuff that’s made of wheat.

I shape my beef as carrots,
Make chicken look like peas;
I flavor it to taste like them
To hide carnivorous needs.

Last edited:
As a sidenote,I may have unintentionally offended people by calling them weirdos..please understand that in my view weird is GOOD: )
Didn't offend at all. We're all weird I reckon. Have to be to follow an invisible dude in the sky...
And I hope that's taken with the humour that was intended, and doesn't offend any weirdos or non weirdos.

Hilarious windblown!
Relevant too, since commanding to abstain from meats is as much a sign of the latter day apostasy, as forbidding to marry.

Here's a real bit of nonsense. I remember this poem from a book my aunt had when I was young.
It just occurred to me though, that a single gal looking at this thread (It is titled the modern woman's search) might really get a laugh out of us wives and mothers, and might wonder about the functioning capacity of our grey matter, or if having so many kids did this to us! Lol

Robinson Crusoe's Story
THE night was thick and hazy
When the 'Piccadilly Daisy'
Carried down the crew and captain in the sea;
And I think the water drowned 'em;
For they never, never found 'em,
And I know they didn't come ashore with me.

Oh! 'twas very sad and lonely
When I found myself the only
Population on this cultivated shore;
But I've made a little tavern
In a rocky little cavern,
And I sit and watch for people at the door.

I spent no time in looking
For a girl to do my cooking,
As I'm quite a clever hand at making stews;
But I had that fellow Friday,
Just to keep the tavern tidy,
And to put a Sunday polish on my shoes.

I have a little garden
That I'm cultivating lard in,
As the things I eat are rather tough and dry;
For I live on toasted lizards,
Prickly pears, and parrot gizzards,
And I'm really very fond of beetle-pie.

The clothes I had were furry,
And it made me fret and worry
When I found the moths were eating off the hair;
And I had to scrape and sand 'em,
And I boiled 'em and I tanned 'em,
Till I got the fine morocco suit I wear.

I sometimes seek diversion
In a family excursion
With the few domestic animals you see;
And we take along a carrot
As refreshment for the parrot,
And a little can of jungleberry tea.

Then we gather as we travel,
Bits of moss and dirty gravel,
And we chip off little specimens of stone;
And we carry home as prizes
Funny bugs, of handy sizes,
Just to give the day a scientific tone.

If the roads are wet and muddy
We remain at home and study,—
For the Goat is very clever at a sum,—
And the Dog, instead of fighting,
Studies ornamental writing,
While the Cat is taking lessons on the drum.

We retire at eleven,
And we rise again at seven;
And I wish to call attention, as I close,
To the fact that all the scholars
Are correct about their collars,
And particular in turning out their toes.

by Charles Edward Carryl

I actually loved the real story of Robinson Crusoe, even if his want to travel resulted in much of his life being spent in solitude, it was still a survival adventure extraordinaire!

I was just thinking the same,as to how the thread might look to someone contemplating plurality lol!Who was it who said 'we are all here, because we are not all there'..?The poem sounds frighteningly similar to our family excursions though..okay,except for the morocco suit.

The poem sounds frighteningly similar to our family excursions though..okay,except for the morocco suit.

My boys used to go hiking with me, and try to carry home half the mountain!
They didn't chip off 'tiny specimens of stone,' they filled the front of their shirts up with rocks of all sizes, to the point that they could hardly carry them!
Eventually with each I was able to convince them the rocks were better enjoyed out there, and they were then content to put a remarkable rock, that they wanted to look at later, by a landmark so they could find it on another trip. Ahhh the memories. And I'm not going to even start on the animated and living bits of creation they have found and wondered at.

I wish I knew how to share videos, as I have one of what we call a snapping bug. They are like God designed toys for boys. They play dead, and then launch themselves into the air like one of those reversible rubber poppers. So fun!

I will get Samuel or my mother in law looking after the kids and then clean the boy's room of their 'treasures' when it gets too cluttered. They don't see and they don't seem to notice. How many rocks and sticks can you have though, really?
Once they had worms in soil in a container. Of course the poor worms died in there. Then they left it within reach of the cot and I went into the bedroom in the morning to get Noah up and there was dirt all through the cot and his clothes. Took me a while to work out where it had come from lol.
I had a woman in church ask me how to keep boys occupied as she had grandsons and was only used to girls. I said to give them a stick and a stone and leave them to it. She said it worked a treat!
and might wonder about the functioning capacity of our grey matter, or if having so many kids did this to us!
Oh I have very little brain cells left lol, I'm sure of it.

Atleast Noah didnt eat the worms..that has happened here on occasion.My braincells are non-functional anyway unless fuelled by copious amounts of coffee.Should probably have it on IV to keep a steady supply throughout the day..

Back